It’s War 2.0

My mind is always blown by any Bobby Dodd hate on a Tech message board. Dodd wanted the other SEC schools to commit to the 120 rule, that would limit each school to 120 football scholarships, and discourage running off scholarship players that did not pan out on the field leaving those individuals without a chance to get a degree. The vote did not go our way, so we left. NOW, EVERYONE HAS 85 FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS.
Do I wish Tech had not left the SEC? Sure, but it was a decision based on principal, and ahead of it's time.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly the SEC had a 120 limit but allowed 40 per year which means schools
would have to run players off to stay within the 120 limit.

You can't honestly believe that. There is no universe in which a large public flagship university in one of the top 4 recruiting rich states in the country wouldn't recover.

If SMU wanted to recover quickly or had the ability, in over THIRTY years, they could have. But I suspect the death penalty from 1988 is the hill you're going to die on so there's nothing more to really debate.
I honestly do.

I remember the recruitment of Herschel from when I was in middle school. He was going to Clemson, all but assured. I remember my buddy telling me at school about UGA getting him.

UGA also had the Jan Kemp scandal which was absolutely ignored by the NCAA. Care to cite me any punishment they got?

UGA did much, much worse than SMU and was ignored.

I honestly do.

I remember the recruitment of Herschel from when I was in middle school. He was going to Clemson, all but assured. I remember my buddy telling me at school about UGA getting him.

UGA also had the Jan Kemp scandal which was absolutely ignored by the NCAA. Care to cite me any punishment they got?

UGA did much, much worse than SMU and was ignored.
I think he meant the recovery part, not the they got away with it part.

Sounds like “broke” ESPN is going to pony up and outbid EVERYONE for complete control of the TV rights for 8 (2 remaining + 6) more years.

This isn’t great for CFB. Having multiple networks covering the games is a much better option.

Sounds like “broke” ESPN is going to pony up and outbid EVERYONE for complete control of the TV rights for 8 (2 remaining + 6) more years.
I agree, rights need to be spread across multiple networks/streaming carriers. But this also an article from ESPN about ESPN inner negotiations written by ESPN reporters so I wouldn't give it much credence in the first place.

This isn’t great for CFB. Having multiple networks covering the games is a much better option.

Gotta spend money to make money.

So we lost a vote and Dodd threw a tantrum without considering the impact that decision would have. Good use of principal.
Hindsight is 20/20. There is no way Bobby Dodd could have understood what kind of impact the decision would have 60 years later. There were only 2 or 3 college games on tv each week in the early 60's, and the conferences did not have television contracts. The way things are structured today are so different than 15 years ago, much less 60 years ago. I understand all the consternation and hand wringing about where Georgia Tech ends up during this transitionary period, but when it is all sorted out, Georgia Tech will be playing at the highest level of college football. We will be competitive, sometimes very good, and sometimes exceptional. I promise.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly the SEC had a 120 limit but allowed 40 per year which means schools
would have to run players off to stay within the 120 limit.
I believe that is correct. I had a few drinks during the football game and fired that off kind of late, even for CST. Ha.

Hindsight is 20/20. There is no way Bobby Dodd could have understood what kind of impact the decision would have 60 years later. There were only 2 or 3 college games on tv each week in the early 60's, and the conferences did not have television contracts. The way things are structured today are so different than 15 years ago, much less 60 years ago. I understand all the consternation and hand wringing about where Georgia Tech ends up during this transitionary period, but when it is all sorted out, Georgia Tech will be playing at the highest level of college football. We will be competitive, sometimes very good, and sometimes exceptional. I promise.

What Dodd could have known and should have known even back then is that GT needed to be in a conference, every other major football program around us and around the country knew it (except ND which has a built in religious/cult following); but Dodd's arrogance had him believing we could be the Notre Dame of the South; either that or he made a conscious decision to tank the program because he didn't get his way. If he left the SEC to join some other major conference it would have been one thing; but what he did was dumb and wrong even in the early 60's, and he was getting paid to know better. If we get back to the highest level of college football it will be in spite of Dodd's actions and greatly because of the actions of Homer Rice.

What Dodd could have known and should have known even back then is that GT needed to be in a conference, every other major football program around us and around the country knew it (except ND which has a built in religious/cult following); but Dodd's arrogance had him believing we could be the Notre Dame of the South; either that or he made a conscious decision to tank the program because he didn't get his way. If he left the SEC to join some other major conference it would have been one thing; but what he did was dumb and wrong even in the early 60's, and he was getting paid to know better. If we get back to the highest level of college football it will be in spite of Dodd's actions and greatly because of the actions of Homer Rice.
It’s easy for people who have never made a decision of this magnitude to comment on them. Dodd took a risk and in some ways based on a principle he believed in.
It didn’t pan out. If it did we would be singing his praises instead here we are castigating him as a villain.

Both Penn State and FSU rose as independents to national prominence today.

It’s easy for people who have never made a decision of this magnitude to comment on them. Dodd took a risk and in some ways based on a principle he believed in.
It didn’t pan out. If it did we would be singing his praises instead here we are castigating him as a villain.

Yeah, and so did Stansbury when he hired Gef and we call him an idiot.

Yeah, and so did Stansbury when he hired Gef and we call him an idiot.
Some external factors played against Dodd’s decision that weren’t necessarily easy to foresee in the form of professional sports teams moving to the young city of Atlanta. I don’t really hold anything against him and the SEC might not be what it is today if we were in it muddying everyone’s record. Who knows what we missed out on.

Where Dodd really blew it, assuming he had any control over it, was in keeping Duke and Tulane on the schedule, instead of scheduling nationally prominent teams like ND, tOSU, SoCal. If he really wanted to be, or thought that we could be, the ND of the south, then you have the kinds of schedules that ND has always had.

I am going to interrupt the Dodd arguments and put this graphic in this thread b/c I think it is beating a dead horse to start a new thread on the topic and it will fit in here:

News flash: If you didn't already know, college football is dead. What used to be the most exciting sport is no longer with us. RIP NCAA football.

The 4 lowest rated championship games of the playoff era have been the last 4 games. The factories can't get out of their own way to realize their goal of winning a title is ruining the entire sport.

1704851128668.png

Could we please stop discussing what Dodd did back in the mid 60's. Trying to go back and evaluate the wisdom of this move 60 years later is really stupid since everything has changed significantly since Dodd did this. Here are some things during the time frame since GT left the SEC

- NFL and Braves come to Atlanta when Pro Sports was not a big deal
- Man lands on the moon several years later
-Lydon Johnson is president, Bobby Kennedy is alive
- No cable - all TV comes via broadcast
- All TV's go off the air ~ 12 AM
-The best computer in the world has less less capabilities than a cell phone from the early 2000's
- We did not even have 8 track tapes
- Most cars did not have seat belts
- Most homes did not have color TV
- There is a Berlin wall for ~ 25 more years
- Tom Brady was not born, nor had his parents married yet

Some external factors played against Dodd’s decision that weren’t necessarily easy to foresee in the form of professional sports teams moving to the young city of Atlanta. I don’t really hold anything against him and the SEC might not be what it is today if we were in it muddying everyone’s record. Who knows what we missed out on.

Good Lord, you are so in love with Dodd that you think we would have brought the entire SEC down if we had stayed???

We would all be singing Dodd's praises if he had simply done nothing. He went out of his way, not to make decision; but create a disaster from scratch.

Both Penn State and FSU had the good sense to join a conference while they were still hot. As bad as FSU wants out of the ACC, they'll stay if the option is to go back independent.

We would all be singing Dodd's praises if he had simply done nothing. He went out of his way, not to make decision; but create a disaster from scratch.

Both Penn State and FSU had the good sense to join a conference while they were still hot. As bad as FSU wants out of the ACC, they'll stay if the option is to go back independent.
I’m merely saying we don’t know what the SEC would be if we stayed. We don’t know what the ACC would be. We don’t know anything except what was going on at the time. As far as never joining a conference I’m not sure if that was Dodd’s intent he just didn’t want to be in the SEC anymore and saw an opportunity to be the best show in town as an independent. He just didn’t get the cooperation he needed from other big programs or the former SEC. He probably should’ve expected that but maybe it was harsher than he thought or it needed to be.

And yeah. I love Bobby Dodd. Just like every GT fan should except those who have an o session with proving how smart they are by being contrarian.

Back