Jeff Sims eyeing possible return to Georgia Tech

Once you enroll in college, your eligibility clock begins. You can play for four years and have five years to do so. At the end of five years, you are out of eligibility. Being on a team or not is irrelevant - your eligibility clock runs all the same. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions within the rules (hence the current crop of 6-year and 7-year players), but that’s the basic concept.

Sims’ eligibility clock is running. If he is at GT as a student this fall and still wants to play football, then he either has to play for GT or find a way to extend his eligibility into the 2025-2026 season. Possibly, he can get that extra year due to Covid-19. However, having transferred twice to get back to GT, he might have have to sit out a year, which would effectively cancel out that extra year.

Once you enroll in college, your eligibility clock begins. You can play for four years and have five years to do so. At the end of five years, you are out of eligibility. Being on a team or not is irrelevant - your eligibility clock runs all the same. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions within the rules (hence the current crop of 6-year and 7-year players), but that’s the basic concept.

Sims’ eligibility clock is running. If he is at GT as a student this fall and still wants to play football, then he either has to play for GT or find a way to extend his eligibility into the 2025-2026 season. Possibly, he can get that extra year due to Covid-19. However, having transferred twice to get back to GT, he might have have to sit out a year, which would effectively cancel out that extra year.
Gotcha. I guess it blows my mind that he (maybe) has 2 more years of eligibility.

Why would being a student and not on a team count against him?
So, it counts against him as a year expended but if he has two left he'd still be eligible one more year.

Gotcha. I guess it blows my mind that he (maybe) has 2 more years of eligibility.

So, it counts against him as a year expended but if he has two left he'd still be eligible one more year.
Technically he only has 1 season of eligibility left to play, but possibly has 2 years left on his "clock" to play that season due to covid.

2020-2021 season ---> Sims 1st year (GT), does not count (COVID) Clock possibly started here but maybe not until after covid year?
2021-2022 season ---> Sims 2nd year (GT), 1st "count" year, either 1st or 2nd "clock" year
2022-2023 season ---> Sims 3rd year (GT), 2nd "count" year, either 2nd or 3rd "clock" year
2023-2024 season ---> Sims 4th year (Neb), 3rd "count" year, either 3rd or 4th "clock" year
2024-2025 season ---> we are here. He has a 4th year to play and is either in his 4th or 5th "clock" year. He has not redshirted, so if he is only in his 4th "clock" year, he could sit this season out, play his final season in 25-26, but he cannot play for 2 more seasons.

Can he be enrolled at a school but not expend any eligibility? I guess I've never thought about how that technically works.
He could refuse to play and get a medical redshirt, first non-scholarship player ever to take that route.

If there's funding available and GT allows Sims to be re-admitted, GTAA might help pay for Sims to finish his degree. It's been done with a few former athletes under the GTAA's "Degree Completion Program."

From an old player's perspective, being a member of the team at this point is a privilege, NOT a right. I cannot imagine CBK allowing Sims any closer to the field than the Student Body section in the North Stands.

So Sims graduated from Nebraska, came back to Tech and finished another bachelor’s degree (mgmt) on his own dime, and is now hoping to catch on at Arizona State with his last year or maybe 2 of eligibility.

JRjr

Even though there is no truth to the rumor, I wouldn't let this bum on campus. As I recall he quit on his teammates and like McAshan didn't give a rats ass about beating georgia. To hell with him.

Even though there is no truth to the rumor, I wouldn't let this bum on campus. As I recall he quit on his teammates and like McAshan didn't give a rats ass about beating georgia. To hell with him.
Guessing you didn’t read the article did you? He came back on his own dime to get his GT degree. A vast majority on this board talk about education, and in the end that was he and his families #1 goal. A GT degree.

You really need to get your priorities in line. It’s just a football game. Let it go.

Guessing you didn’t read the article did you? He came back on his own dime to get his GT degree. A vast majority on this board talk about education, and in the end that was he and his families #1 goal. A GT degree.

You really need to get your priorities in line. It’s just a football game. Let it go.
Respect

I wish his goal had been to help us beat Uva and make a bowl in 2022, fck that candyass

I’m surprised GT allowed that. The rule is that a class can only be used for 1 degree. So if he transferred the credits to Nebraska and used them towards a degree there (which he apparently did) he would be ineligible to use those credits at GT. There are certain exceptions (specifically dual enrollment programs like GTREP or joint MBA/MS programs), but I don’t believe he would qualify for one of those. They must have made a special exemption for him.

I’m surprised GT allowed that. The rule is that a class can only be used for 1 degree. So if he transferred the credits to Nebraska and used them towards a degree there (which he apparently did) he would be ineligible to use those credits at GT. There are certain exceptions (specifically dual enrollment programs like GTREP or joint MBA/MS programs), but I don’t believe he would qualify for one of those. They must have made a special exemption for him.
Maybe he has to forfeit his Nebraska degree. Seems like a good trade. jk

This is the longest April fools joke ever. I don’t know what to believe anymore.

This is the longest April fools joke ever. I don’t know what to believe anymore.
Almost May

5afe1949-9f8c-4c38-9912-f13456ea712b_text.gif

Back