Johnson to retire

Discussion in 'Football' started by doyojob, Nov 28, 2018.

1. The Champ

The Champ Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Acworth
    Team:
    GT
    Just stating facts. Paul had higher highs for sure, and lower lows as well. It all netted out to the same win % in the end, which is interesting given the perception of both coaches.

Nice rant though.

You could go the other way with many arguments too. Imagine if PJ didn’t inherit a team with 12-15 NFL players on it that certainly won’t be the case for the next guy here. Imagine if we didn’t commit critical turnovers against UGA in 04-07...etc. also not sure the schedule is that much harder/softer. We play an extra cupcake every year which padded Paul’s numbers, and the acc coastal isn’t exactly murders row right now...

Position it how you want, my only point was that they ended with the exact same win %

2. 76tornados

76tornados Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Shore, TN
    Team:
    Ramblin Wreck
    Maybe I missed the sarcasm, but the Bebe drop was Johnson. Otherwise I see your point. Lol

3. cyptomcat

cyptomcat PostBot Staff Member

Loc:
    TX
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Bennett did not play in the ACCCG.
    Ball threw the ball away on 4th and 21, I doubt he would have gotten a first down running away from multiple defenders.
    Bebe drop was '09, and '07 game was a 2 TD game.

4. GSUsTALON

GSUsTALON Flats Noob

Loc:
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Team:
    Georgia Southern
    I'm Sad!

5. GTCrew4b

GTCrew4b Get That Corn Outta Ma Face

Loc:
    Local Cafés
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Here’s how I’ll position it: anyone who thinks Chan Gailey and Paul Johnson had comparable tenures as GT’s football coach is an absolute moron.

And anyone who thinks an ACC that produced 3 national championship game teams vs an ACC that produced 0 is not significantly better is an absolute moron.

And anyone who thinks both at the same time is probably retarded. And I don’t mean that in a sarcastic and disrespectful way to actually retarded people.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 12
  6. TechRush

TechRush Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Georgia
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Me too. We will probably end up with Ken Wisenhunt. Sad times.

7. GSUsTALON

GSUsTALON Flats Noob

Loc:
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Team:
    Georgia Southern

I wish PJ could have done for GT what he did for GSU, Hawaii & NAVY. I just shook out that way.

8. wesleyd21

wesleyd21 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    GT
    Initial thoughts: News came as a surprise to me this afternoon. If our next coach has the same type of run CPJ did in his 11 years, I’d certainly take it in a heartbeat.

My biggest fear right now is scrapping the option altogether. It’s what we do. Fridge ran a “Multiple” offense and we ran the option a lot when he was OC. If GT tries pass blocking more than 50% of its plays with 265lb OL...we may see a few seasons where 3 wins is the ceiling.

Damn. I really wanted to see what CPJ was gonna do with James Graham or the Yates kid at quarterback.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JacketFan77

JacketFan77 Bokonon High Priest

Loc:
    High on a mountain top
    Team:
    Georgia Tech

10. etc79

etc79 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Your Mom's
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I agree, but we knew this day would come some day. I wish CPJ gave the AD more notice but it is what it is. We are gonna go threw a dark period, but it’s time to move on, I’ll live with it, it sucks to rip the bandaid off but got to now.

I’m always gonna say we should go hard after Mike Leach, don’t care what anyone has to say

• Like Like x 1
  11. SoCal Jacket

SoCal Jacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Malibu, California
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Please present another coach or team system in FBS that consistently provides the lesser football disadvantaged school with a meaningful chance to win week in and week out. Once you show us that one, let’s go get him.

Army, Navy, Air Force, Georgia Tech have all proved CPJ’s system to work to a level above their apparent talent. Is there a ceiling? At the current stage of TO development, apparently, whenever the opposition has huge and quick defensive linemen who can be wandering around the offensive backfield before the quaterback completeletes his first read with the Dive, this version of the TO is doomed. This factor mandates its continued evolution under both stress and operational demand.

Inserting a gun pass option showing a fourth option further away from powerful defensive lines might be an answer.

Nonetheless, as a leading scientific R&D Institue, I am not looking forward to scraping this potentially successful experiment and theory leveling the football fields for strong and uncompromisingly academic schools in D-1 football. Looking down the uga bench and realizing half of those in red jerseys could not spell the color of those jerseys or their own name, I was again reminded of the inequity that exists on major college football fields. Yet, realizing that the TO is NOT a finished product, but one still under development, I am not ready to announce the death of the patented Georgia Tech clock-eating, nail-in-the-coffin, Larry Munson killing, 3rd quarter Death March.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  12. ScionOfSouthland

ScionOfSouthland Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Empire City of the South
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I like to think we got the last of Paul’s good years and he decided to get out while he was still ahead. I’ll always remember his time on the flats fondly. I hope he enjoys life with his family and decides to stay retired. He’s earned it and a return to the game probably will leave his admirers with a worse ending than this one.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. miles44

miles44 Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I'd have to say it's gonna be at least 3 miserable years

14. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

hire this öööööööööööö

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  15. Ish

Ish Dodd-Like

but other than that, spot on

• Like Like x 1
  16. Diseqc

Diseqc Dodd-Like

Loc:
    :bigcry:
    [​IMG]

Supposedly a former starting OL. Anyone have a name?

17. RamblinWreck09

RamblinWreck09 Greatly appreciated amongst mid 30s Turkish males

Loc:
    GT
    That was Big Cry, 3rd string Right Tackle, recruited by Pat Nix.

• Like Like x 3
  18. RamblinWreck92

RamblinWreck92 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Shangri La
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Something-something-Gailey's recruits?

19. JacketFan77

JacketFan77 Bokonon High Priest

Loc:
    High on a mountain top