Key to USCe?

If that's what a middling SEC school can pay a Co-OC/OL coach now, we ded.
They were paying Bobo $1.2 million. I highly doubt they will be paying their new OC that much and if they offer Key the Co-OC title, I would assume they both get paid about the same. They were going to pay Friend $700k. So split that $1.9 million for 2 guys and that's $950k each. Easily do-able for them.

They were paying Bobo $1.2 million. I highly doubt they will be paying their new OC that much and if they offer Key the Co-OC title, I would assume they both get paid about the same. They were going to pay Friend $700k. So split that $1.9 million for 2 guys and that's $950k each. Easily do-able for them.

Yeah. And we are paying, what, 1 million total between Key and Patenaude? Only way we could maybe match is make Key the OC and either dump Pnode or halve his pay to be QB coach.

$600K to $900k is a hell of a raise, if so.

Is it really? Feds are taking 37% base + 7.65% FICA + .9% FICA High Earner. South Carolina takes another 7%. He would only take home an additional $140k, plus lose the Assistant Head Coach title, plus have to live in Columbia instead of Atlanta.

Thats sure not a slam dunk for me if I were in his shoes and already making $600k.

Is it really? Feds are taking 37% base + 7.65% FICA + .9% FICA High Earner. South Carolina takes another 7%. He would only take home an additional $140k, plus lose the Assistant Head Coach title, plus have to live in Columbia instead of Atlanta.

Thats sure not a slam dunk for me if I were in his shoes and already making $600k.
$140k is a lot of money in Columbia, SC

Again, I'll re-iterate, if this happens, I believe it will have little to do with money. We could likely bump his salary if it came down to that, but look at the program. USCe is in worse shape than we are now, and they just hired a coach that nobody knows of, even their fan base isn't exactly thrilled. Key has not been known to be money hungry, and why would he leave for that situation if there is not more to the story?

We can't pay him that much money, so if he can get it then I honestly can't blame him. A bridge will be burned however... as he would have left before he ever truly earned his salary here. I'd like him to see this transition through to completion before he jumps ship. Otherwise it was just lip service a lot of the stuff he said about Tech when he was hired.

$140k is a lot of money in Columbia, SC

It is, but the point is he’s already making bank and it’s not a lifestyle changing difference at that point. He might pay off a lake house in 4 years instead of 8 or something like that.

If he takes this there must be some bad mojo among Collins’s stuff causing him to want out. It’s not the kind of move that makes me say “good for him.”

It is, but the point is he’s already making bank and it’s not a lifestyle changing difference at that point. He might pay off a lake house in 4 years instead of 8 or something like that.

If he takes this there must be some bad mojo among Collins’s stuff causing him to want out. It’s not the kind of move that makes me say “good for him.”
This.

I'd have to see more than one coach leave before thinking it's more than a personal thing with Key (who may not even be leaving). Usually places that have legitimate culture problems experience high staff turnover, and we haven't been seeing that.

If Collins has to choose between Patenaude and Key, why would he not choose Key?

I have always assumed Patenaude was transitional until we could afford better and he could go back up north. It would be hard for me to believe Collins has that much confidence in him based on 2 years at Temple. He isn't really known as a recruiter or anything. No connections in the South. Would be a weird choice, if that were the case.

I tend to let these things play out without much comment, since we will all find out if Brent stays or goes soon enough.

I will just say he has done a ton, a TON of heavy lifting to get the offensive line where it needs to be after the conversion. We should be functional in 2021, with a bunch of kids coming up behind the current starters. So we are fine next year and future years at the position group.

That is true whether Brent stays or goes, and if he goes human shortsightedness is such that the next OL coach will get credit from a significant portion of the fan base for the vast and sudden improvement, in both the OL and the run game..

It would be a shame if Brent is not here to see the fruits of all his labor.

PS. If I were Brent my next job would be as a HFC, but it is his career and any choice has risks.

Looks like someone made a dream wish list.

On the other hand, if this Covid crap keeps up, most schools won’t be able to pay a janitor.

Back