Not sure I like this....

Couldn’t he just enroll as a regular student if he’s already been accepted and fulfilled the high school requirements?

Ha, ha, I know it’s all about the Benjamins and football and has nothing to do with academics. If it did, he could enroll right now and pay for a semester like every other student before his 4 year gravy train starts.

Isn’t this more or less how regular students are treated with waitlists and such?
They’re told they’re accepted until mere days before the semester starts, and then suddenly they’re “unaccepted” and put on a waitlist? I don’t think that’s how it works.

It is 2:22AM, January 3rd, 2021.

Adam Carter is sleeping poorly. In a semi-conscious state, he turns one direction. Shifts his limbs. Tosses another direction. Adjusts the angle of his back. Turns again. Sighs.

Seeking some comfort, he rolls towards his wife. A distant image flashes in his mind of the chicken pot pie she served for last night's dinner, a faint smile comes to his lips and he draws a deep breath through his nose, half-dreaming of its scent. His eyebrow reflexively arches as he catches the aroma of food, but dimly recognizes that it isn't dinner.

It's breakfast.

The realization perishes just as quickly, and his arm reaches to drape across the warmth and softness of his other half. It finds both softness and warmth but something is wrong and, quickly gathering his wits, he understands that this is not his wife.

He opens his eyes to find her in the dark but feels an immediate jolt of panic when he sees neither her, nor darkness. Lying there beside him in the bed is an arrangement of string lights, dotting and illuminating a mass of cotton, pulled and stretched to resemble some sort of cloud. Now fully gripped by confusion and fear, he quickly sits up and takes the thing in hand. At the bottom of the strange statue, there are words etched into its styrofoam base:

Barnard 33 (Horsehead Nebula)

In the eternity of a single second, Carter's mind races, scrambles to understand what is happening, where his wife could be, and what he is looking at. But before he's had enough time to read the inscription a second time, there is a flash of light from behind him. He cries out as he clumsily flips himself around, and now terror takes hold of his head and his heart. Standing before him - aimed at him - is a telescope. No one stands behind it, but instead, attached and staring at his horrified face through the eyepiece is an old and worn disposable Kodak camera. His mind spinning, his breath caught in his chest, tears of nameless dread and bewilderment now fill his eyes. But as they begin to blur his vision, he catches a glimpse of words, seemingly painted in the wall behind the telescope, each letter a different shade of yellow or gold:

BAD OPTICS

Unable to make sense of the bizarre state his world has been thrust into, unable to think at all, he involuntarily begins to scream but before any sound can escape his throat, there is another flash. Blinded now, for an immeasurably short instant he wonders dumbly if he is now dead. But as the color of his darkened bedroom rushes back in, chasing away the white void, he no longer sees the writing on the wall. The telescope and the ancient camera are gone. Feeling madness now beginning to seep into every recess of his mind, he whirls around without thinking, to check for the mass of lights. They are not there, but before any sense of relief can be found, it strikes him: neither is his wife. Suddenly, behind him, another sound. Sweat rushes to his pores, but before he can make a second attempt to scream, another sound:

"Adam?"

He turns once more, gasping, to see his wife standing in their bedroom doorway, holding a cup in one hand and a white plastic bag in the other. She looks at him strangely, concerned by his wild eyes and aghast expression.

"I had the strangest craving for Waffle House, I brought you some. Are you okay?"

The tears flood his eyes in earnest now, overwhelmed with emotions he cannot fathom. But before he's had a moment to collect a single thought, one more unexpected light appears in the corner of his eye. The fear rushes back in a wave, even after he has realized it is merely his phone. Forgetting his wife is there, he lunges for it and finds the screen unlocked, his Twitter app open to a tweet he had sent the previous night and a box in the center of the screen with text asking "Do you want to delete this Tweet?"

Two hours later, Carter's wife is asleep in bed. He sits alone at the dining room table, holding his head in trembling hands.

Tears pour from his bloodshot eyes, raining down into a box of cold hashbrowns.

Is this a scholarship issue? Can't early enrollees count against previous class (in this case 2020)? So maybe Tech is putting upperclassmen transfers against 2020 number (net of Tech portal entrants). If that's the case, I would imagine that Haynes can enroll in January but wouldn't be on scholly.

Is this a scholarship issue? Can't early enrollees count against previous class (in this case 2020)? So maybe Tech is putting upperclassmen transfers against 2020 number (net of Tech portal entrants). If that's the case, I would imagine that Haynes can enroll in January but wouldn't be on scholly.
Yes, Haynes has already been accepted into GT as a student. If he so desperately wanted to leave HS early and begin his academic life at GT nothing is stopping him or his family from doing that. But, since athletes live in a different universe than everyone else they don’t believe they needed to save a dime or spend a dime on their education. I understand the game. Heck, if he has a good GPA it would cost him very little. I wonder at what point in life that college football players realize that all those “others” they see on campus are way more competitive than themselves and hence have longer, sustained success. I hope Haynes realizes at the end of the day being a football player for a few years will do very little for his future, but the academic work will make his future.

If we promised him he could enroll early then came back on Jan 1 to tell him that’s not the case, our coaching staff is at fault. I definitely understand wanting to take advantage of the special transfer rules... but Haynes has a right to have a bit of a chapped ass about this situation.

Hopefully he gets over it and enjoys his senior year spring semester at Grayson. I think he’ll be a good player for us and look forward to him joining my the team in May.

But, since athletes live in a different universe than everyone else they don’t believe they needed to save a dime or spend a dime on their education.

I hope Haynes realizes at the end of the day being a football player for a few years will do very little for his future, but the academic work will make his future.

Haynes is upset because he was told by Georgia Tech that he could start school in January, but then Georgia Tech reneged and told him he couldn't start college for six more months, delaying the plans he had made for his college education.

And because of that, people on the Internet are criticizing him for not having a savings plan so that he could get a college educatoin and implying that he doesn't realize the value of a college education.

This is the type of stuff I would expect to see on a Bama message board, not a Tech message board.

I don't know how big of a deal this is, either to Haynes, or his coach. If you think you know by reading a text or two you don't have a clue, either.

Does Haynes care, or is he just using it as motivation?

Does the coach care, or is he just being futhy to appear to back up a player?

I believe winter is considered 2020, so we have the 2020 limits in place, and one too few players graduated fall semester to allow the total ships to let both in. Spring practice will be more important to the transfers, who are trying to win jobs now so they need the sessions to orient to the new offense, than it is to true freshmen, who will play or not play depending on their strength more than anything else, even at wide receiver.

Haynes looked good down the stretch against good competition. That is hopeful. I expect him to outpunch his weight over his career. A few months of Geoff and Kerry and mebbe Tashard smoothing this over, and everyone will be fine. We have his LOI, so he is coming here for a year no matter what.

But the days are now officially over for the era of depending on true freshmen to mortar over the sins of what happened before. That is good. The next step is to get past needing graduate transfers for the same reason.

Could he be a PWO for a semester, then be put on schlorship? I guess he would still have to pay tuition, books and dorm but meals would be free. Heck, take 5 hours online, live at home and hang out, eat and practice with the team as much as you want to.

Very disappointed to read this. Is there really no way they can get him in by January? Find someone on the team who is ready to leave. They need to make sure this never happens again.

Ethics aside, reflecting on Georgia Tech poorly aside, nuking our relationship with Grayson is not good.
The relationship with Grayson isn’t nuked. It is wounded possibly, but it is far from nuked.

Haynes is upset because he was told by Georgia Tech that he could start school in January, but then Georgia Tech reneged and told him he couldn't start college for six more months, delaying the plans he had made for his college education.

And because of that, people on the Internet are criticizing him for not having a savings plan so that he could get a college educatoin and implying that he doesn't realize the value of a college education.

This is the type of stuff I would expect to see on a Bama message board, not a Tech message board.
You sure? Why would Georgia Tech tell him he couldn’t start in January? Is it Tech or is it that the scholarship to pay won’t be available until May. Those are two different things. If the school told him he didn’t meet the requirements to start right now then that’s a Grayson High School issue. Everything I’ve read indicates it’s the scholarship and not his ability to enroll.

You sure? Why would Georgia Tech tell him he couldn’t start in January? Is it Tech or is it that the scholarship to pay won’t be available until May. Those are two different things. If the school told him he didn’t meet the requirements to start right now then that’s a Grayson High School issue. Everything I’ve read indicates it’s the scholarship and not his ability to enroll.

From what I've read, it sounds like Tech told him a scholarship would be available for him in January but then decided to use that scholarship on a transfer instead. So it is both Tech and the scholarship.

I will freely admit that we don't know for sure yet that Tech told him the scholarship would be available. In that case, Tech would not be in the wrong.

However, either way, nothing about this situation demonstrates that he didn't plan for or doesn't recognize the value of a college education, and your comment implying that was out of line in my opinion. Especially given that he will eventually be on our team and we know that recruits/players read what gets said online.

From what I've read, it sounds like Tech told him a scholarship would be available for him in January but then decided to use that scholarship on a transfer instead. So it is both Tech and the scholarship.

I will freely admit that we don't know for sure yet that Tech told him the scholarship would be available. In that case, Tech would not be in the wrong.

However, either way, nothing about this situation demonstrates that he didn't plan for or doesn't recognize the value of a college education, and your comment implying that was out of line in my opinion. Especially given that he will eventually be on our team and we know that recruits/players read what gets said online.

Couldn't agree more. If what we've seen and heard is indicative of the whole truth (which is not always the case), this is not a move that I feel is in line with the principles and virtues of the Institute.

The relationship with Grayson isn’t nuked. It is wounded possibly, but it is far from nuked.

Honestly, at worst it would put us in the same boat with them as most schools. They got mad at uga a few years back, I think.

Read on anther board that this Grayson coach benched his Sr QB and took a transfer from California as his QB for the rest of the year. LOL.

CA transfer was kid who transferred to Valdosta originally, arranged by Probst,former coach from Prattville AL to Moultrie to Valdosta.. Kid's parents did a fake divorce that GHSA disallowed, and the kid ended up at Grayson. Valdosta coach is an assnole, should be banned from youth sports.

CA transfer was kid who transferred to Valdosta originally, arranged by Probst,former coach from Prattville AL to Moultrie to Valdosta.. Kid's parents did a fake divorce that GHSA disallowed, and the kid ended up at Grayson. Valdosta coach is an assnole, should be banned from youth sports.
Why was he eligible at Grayson but not Valdosta?

Back