• Dan Mullen

Votes: 41 21.9%
  • other

Votes: 98 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only stingtalk would complain about hiring a current NFL OC. I’d be thrilled with the hire.

1638293837133.jpeg

Zach Kittley - Western Kentucky
Ryan Grubb - Fresno State
Willy Korn - Coastal Carolina
Frank Ponce - App State
Andrew Sowder - Kent State
Matt Mumme - Nevada
Bryant Vencent - UAB

Some of the "out of the box" names that intrigue me and I don't see listed much.
3 of these guys are on the short list.

Only stingtalk would complain about hiring a current NFL OC. I’d be thrilled with the hire.

*NFL journeyman assistant who has bounced from position coach to OC to position coach to current Co-OC.

I don't wanna knock him. He knows football. He has worked under some great coaches. He would be a clear upgrade over what we had and could help our offense. But what's also true is we wouldn't know who he was if he didn't play here, so you can forgive some of us for not being over the moon enthusiastic about him.

Edit: I'd also reject the notion that "NFL Coach" is somehow automatically a great thing. Is the worst NFL coach better than Nick Saban? Is the worst NFL Defensive coordinator better than Brent Venables? Of course not. They are simply 2 different animals, which is another reason I am inherently skeptical of coaches who have primarily spent their careers in the NFL.

Last edited:
Godsey would be a big hire for a lot of reasons.

More important than anything, it shows a financial commitment to the program that we haven't seen before with an assistant hire. If the numbers are what people are hinting at, it should get us toward the $3.5MM mark with the assistant compensation pool to get us in the top 25 of power 5 football.

Bringing in an NFL QB coach and offensive coordinator at the same coaching position here shows the outside that maybe we're listing but we're not a sunken ship yet - that goes for coaches and recruits.

And it continues the theme that we want to move toward a NFL-development football program here. Save it, boomers. We're not attracting football talent to the flats anymore with promises of a great degree and forgetting about your NFL dreams. Want to have a winning football program? It requires NFL-aspiring recruits. Godsey checks that box.

Lastly, if this comes to fruition, we may need to reality check ourselves about the appeal of working on this turnaround project. Our staff is made up almost entirely alumni and people attached to the program previously. Just take a step back and think about what that likely means.

Godsey would be a big hire for a lot of reasons.

More important than anything, it shows a financial commitment to the program that we haven't seen before with an assistant hire. If the numbers are what people are hinting at, it should get us toward the $3.5MM mark with the assistant compensation pool to get us in the top 25 of power 5 football.

Bringing in an NFL QB coach and offensive coordinator at the same coaching position here shows the outside that maybe we're listing but we're not a sunken ship yet - that goes for coaches and recruits.

And it continues the theme that we want to move toward a NFL-development football program here. Save it, boomers. We're not attracting football talent to the flats anymore with promises of a great degree and forgetting about your NFL dreams. Want to have a winning football program? It requires NFL-aspiring recruits. Godsey checks that box.

Lastly, if this comes to fruition, we may need to reality check ourselves about the appeal of working on this turnaround project. Our staff is made up almost entirely alumni and people attached to the program previously. Just take a step back and think about what that likely means.
It could indeed mean what you're implying, but could also mean there is another topic to say "Save it, boomers" on. We wouldn't be the first program to think there is some sort of special value assigned to a coach who was past associated with the school.

But what's also true is we wouldn't know who he was if he didn't play here, so you can forgive some of us for not being over the moon enthusiastic about him.

The inverse way of looking at it: Godsey wouldn't even consider coaching at GT if he didn't have connections here.

The potential upside of a "Tech man" is getting someone who would otherwise be too good for us to get.

If Godsey is going to be our OC, then it’s probably his 1-year trial to become HC when we can Collins. I’m guessing this is something him and the boosters have worked out and probably told Collins to deal with it. As long as he shows improvement and works for cheap after we fire Collins, I’m in.

The inverse way of looking at it: Godsey wouldn't even consider coaching at GT if he didn't have connections here.

The potential upside of a "Tech man" is getting someone who would otherwise be too good for us to get.

But he also probably wouldn't consider us if his NFL career wasn't stagnant. Every school has alums coaching in the NFL, but not all are rushing out to hire them.

The irony is I could see both sides being true in this particular case. We might not look at this NFL OC without the connection, but he prolly wouldn't leave the NFL for a college OC spot like this one without the connection either.

But he also probably wouldn't consider us if his NFL career wasn't stagnant. Every school has alums coaching in the NFL, but not all are rushing out to hire them.

Stagnant = being promoted to co-OC of the Dolphins this year?

I see the resume of a guy who has been consistently promoted, except for the setback of being fired from Houston

That said, the teams he's been OC of haven't done that great offensively

Godsey doesn’t have a history of lighting it up on offense in the NFL. Not sure what the play is here but I am not a big fan of the hire on its face
My brother in law has the unfortunate disposition of growing up a Miami fan and we watch every game. Tua is developing without question. The last few weeks, he's probably the most efficient QB in the league, and Godsey's play calling has been very good.

I'm not saying he's the best OC any school could hire, but he's damn better than I'd expect us to be able to get. I said as much in a thread yesterday that there's no way in hell he'd come here to be our OC.

ööööing hell, we're really going to do the "Tech man" thing, aren't we? Every other program that's tried the nostalgia coaching hire BS has had it blow up in their faces. Not good, guys, not good.
An upgrade over Paterdude. Goose has the NFL creds.

Talking about putting players in the NFL and recruiting makes no sense when all your players with NFL hopes are hitting the portal.

We need somebody to coach an offense. If they have other upsides, great, but we need points. That's the one most important thing.

Stagnant = being promoted to co-OC of the Dolphins this year?

I see the resume of a guy who has been consistently promoted, except for the setback of being fired from Houston

That said, the teams he's been OC of haven't done that great offensively

Stagnant in the sense he was a full fledged OC 5 years ago and it's taken him until now to get back to even sharing the job. But if he ends up getting the gig, I will absolutely talk myself into being optimistic about it. Just not juiced right now. It's far from a done deal, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back