Official argue about the old coach thread

You obviously want to ignore the bounty Gailey/Smith/Collìns handed Johnson anď ignore the Bad News Bears that Johnsòn handed Collins but it is real and significant. But it does not fit your agenda.

We will get there but development takes time when you start at zero. The only thing that will stop the rebuild and getting a top program again is ìnpatient stupidity.
Bobby Ross is simultaneously a barely above .500 and a national championship level coach at GT.

You are what your record says you are.

And I say that being on record as wishing we deified Bobby Ross about as much as we do Bobby Dodd around here.

Actually people are forgetting that during Dwyer's T-Fr season many GT Fans thought he was more "explosive" than Choice was and wanted to give him the starting job then over Choice because back when Dwyer was 210ish pounds and still had all that track speed, he had much home run potential than Choice.

I think he had in the high 400s as far as total rush yards

Losta short memories around here.

Almost nobody said that.

Almost nobody said that.

The fans loved TChoice both on and off the field. I don't recall anyone wanting him benched for Dwyer or anyone else. Remember this:

He was a team leader and the best back we've had since I guess ELI. Anyone who wanted him benched his senior year is a jackass.

CPJ was a great coach with some great years at Tech with some awful years bunching up at the end.

the 2018 game in Athens though is where I realized that the wheels had come off and there was no long term future for the option at Tech. I wasn’t even pissed off after that game (like I was for Gailey 51-7 in Athens). It was top to bottom one of the worst games I’ve ever seen Tech play. Just atrocious. The worst was the mock cheering when we finally crossed the 50 in what seemed like late 3rd or early 4th.ööööty football runs together though.

Just goes to show how great a coach CPJ was, he kept winning with Gailey's recruits for 2 years after the best of them left for the NFL.

huh? They all bailed after 2009. In 2010, we had our first losing season since Bill L****.

PJ öööö the bed when Gailey's recruits left and couldn't win a bowl with 'em. The 2009 home loss to the mutts was one of the worst losses in the history of our program. The 2009 mutts were so bad, they fired their DC after the season but not before shutting down our Genius HC at home.

huh? They all bailed after 2009. In 2010, we had our first losing season since Bill L****.

PJ öööö the bed when Gailey's recruits left and couldn't win a bowl with 'em. The 2009 home loss to the mutts was one of the worst losses in the history of our program.

Don't huh me. TJ said he won 4 against Duke with Gailey's players and wants to put an asterisk on it.

Don't huh me. TJ said he won 4 against Duke with Gailey's players and wants to put an asterisk on it.

Huh? you said he "kept winning with Gailey's recruits after the best left for the NFL" when in reality, PJ led us to our first LOSING SEASON with these players in 2010.

So again....HUH???

If the anti-CPJ crowd isn’t attacking strawmen, they’re moving goalposts.

1) I’m well aware that CPJ was not a good recruiter. Nobody is arguing that.

2) For years, the VT game was cited as the benchmark for success. Once we started beating their ass, suddenly that game was no longer important?

I loved the CPJ years. My favorite part about them was that I knew we always had a chance, even with a talent disparity. I knew that we had a coach that could actually… coach. I loved watching our players outplay and outsmart players that were supposedly better and I loved seeing how mad their fans got when it happened. In the good years, this was happening on almost a weekly basis. In the bad years, the talent disparity was just too large.

CGC has proven he can recruit. He hasn’t proven he can coach. If we are truly at a point where we don’t want to accept CPJ’s “mediocrity” then why would we blithely accept now losing repeatedly to teams with similar or even lesser talent? That just blows my mind? FWIW I do support CGC, think he was the right hire, and have absolutely not given up on him, but the excuse-making from the people who were desperate to get rid of the option is nauseating sometimes.

Huh? you said he "kept winning with Gailey's recruits after the best left for the NFL" when in reality, PJ led us to our first LOSING SEASON with these players in 2010.

So again....HUH???

Are you having trouble reading Tampa Jacket's post?? My post was sarcasm because Tampa apparently did not know that the great players in that famous 2007 class left early. I let the previous posts about 'Dwyer's senior year' slide; but TP's post was silly. Even if they didn't leave early for the NFL Dwyer and most of the others played one year for Gailey and only had 3 seasons max for CPJ, not 4. The discussion is, was, and continues to be about wins over Duke, not the overall season record. At most you can credit Gailey's recruits for 2 of CPJ's wins over Duke.

If the anti-CPJ crowd isn’t attacking strawmen, they’re moving goalposts.

1) I’m well aware that CPJ was not a good recruiter. Nobody is arguing that.

2) For years, the VT game was cited as the benchmark for success. Once we started beating their ass, suddenly that game was no longer important?

I loved the CPJ years. My favorite part about them was that I knew we always had a chance, even with a talent disparity. I knew that we had a coach that could actually… coach. I loved watching our players outplay and outsmart players that were supposedly better and I loved seeing how mad their fans got when it happened. In the good years, this was happening on almost a weekly basis. In the bad years, the talent disparity was just too large.

CGC has proven he can recruit. He hasn’t proven he can coach. If we are truly at a point where we don’t want to accept CPJ’s “mediocrity” then why would we blithely accept now losing repeatedly to teams with similar or even lesser talent? That just blows my mind? FWIW I do support CGC, think he was the right hire, and have absolutely not given up on him, but the excuse-making from the people who were desperate to get rid of the option is nauseating sometimes.

We only started beating VPI as the Beamer Ball Era wound down. The VPI of 2018 was no longer the national power they were in 2009. Same goes for Miami & FSU.

Beating the mutts in 2016 was the last time we outsmarted a team that was better than we were. After that, watching Taquon run 30 QB keepers each week got old with predictable results.

I'm with you on CGC but tire of the Scheme First PJ fans who trot out the same lame anti CGC crap every week, even when we win. Duke being notable. Duke sux and just blew the doors off PJ the last 5 years - it's good to beat them again. People hating on that need to take their asses to Statesboro.

You aren't one but it's clear there are those here who engage in revisionist history to try and undermine CGC.

PJ is gone. He quit on us & retired. Let it go.

We only started beating VPI as the Beamer Ball Era wound down. The VPI of 2018 was no longer the national power they were in 2009. Same goes for Miami & FSU.

Beating the mutts in 2016 was the last time we outsmarted a team that was better than we were. After that, watching Taquon run 30 QB keepers each week got old with predictable results.

I'm with you on CGC but tire of the Scheme First PJ fans who trot out the same lame anti CGC crap every week, even when we win. Duke being notable. Duke sux and just blew the doors off PJ the last 5 years - it's good to beat them again. People hating on that need to take their asses to Statesboro.

You aren't one but it's clear there are those here who engage in revisionist history to try and undermine CGC.

Duke sucks now. They were good for a few years in the last decade. What was that about revisionist history?

You recognize we started beating VPI as the Beamer Ball Era ran down; but VPI still finished the season in 2016 & 2017 ranked in the top 25. Now we are beating Duke after the Cutcliffe era is completely off the rails. How is that different? The UNC win was a bigger win than Duke this year as will be any game we win from here on out, except maybe Miami.

You recognize we started beating VPI as the Beamer Ball Era ran down; but VPI still finished the season in 2016 & 2017 ranked in the top 25. Now we are beating Duke after the Cutcliffe era is completely off the rails. How is that different? The UNC win was a bigger win than Duke this year as will be any game we win from here on out, except maybe Miami.

I haven't claimed Duke to be some Great Victory. I'm only relieved to finally be defeating them again on an annual basis, even when we were at our worst 2 weeks ago. Duke sucks and was never as good as some of our fans tried to make them out to be. To be blown out by them in back to back years was embarrassing.

Beating VPI 3 IAR to end PJ's era was nice but you can't tell me they were markedly better than our teams except 2018, as is the claim you guys are making. I don't care about rankings - we were better than most teams we faced in 2016 and got screwed by not being ranked at the end.

Why PJ got so stagnant on offense near the end, I don't know. Why he refused to recruit better across metro ATL, I don't know. But it was time for a change and it's time to get behind this coach until it's obvious that he's not the man for the job. For me, it's not obvious yet but what is obvious is that service academy football is done and gone and pining for it won't bring it back.

Duke sucks now. They were good for a few years in the last decade. What was that about revisionist history?

they weren't that damn good and were never so much better than us that we should be blown out by them.

Just goes to show how great a coach CPJ was, he kept winning with Gailey's recruits for 2 years after the best of them left for the NFL.
We lost to Kansas in his third year (2nd game of the season).

You really ought to stop posting now.

Most wins versus UGA by yearly opponents, 2008-2018:
Florida - 6
South Carolina - 4
Auburn - 3
Georgia Tech - 3
Tennessee - 3

We did as well as Auburn and Tennessee, both of which have financial and recruiting advantages over Tech.

Most wins versus UGA by yearly opponents, 2008-2018:
Florida - 6
South Carolina - 4
Auburn - 3
Georgia Tech - 3
Tennessee - 3

We did as well as Auburn and Tennessee, both of which have financial and recruiting advantages over Tech.
Isn't that just a list of the teams they play the most pointing out Vanderbilt and Kentucky suck?

Back