Official argue about the old coach thread

It is so sad to look at what conference South Carolina was in 70 years ago, what conference GT was in 70 years ago, and which conference each team is in now.
I dunno about sad. But it is interesting. From a "logic" standpoint I thought they should have swapped many years ago, but the conferences are all now just a jumbled mess with no actual identity, so who cares any more?

More money, bigger fanbases, fewer academic restrictions, SEC
Already said "financial advantages" - which I concede. But you can't count "money" twice. Sorry.

Bigger fanbases is just about winning. Start winning and see what happens. Atlanta is a much bigger area to build a fanbase on than Auburn, Alabama or Knoxville, TN. Just start winning.

Academic restrictions . . . oh, no, not the tired "The Hill!" trope again. :facepalm: It's nonsense. It's not 1980 any more. Tech has a TON of non-engineering, non-science, easy, majors now.

SEC . . . I hope Vandy enjoys having the tremendous recruiting advantages of the SEC. :lol2:

So those that think CPJ was the worst thing to happen to GT in the last 30 years, who would you have wanted to hire that we could afford/would want to come here? I'm pro-CPJ (also pro-CGC) because I think the uniqueness of his offense gave us some stability during the major shift/arms race in CFB from the late 2000s up to a few years ago. I'm not sure that if we had hired a more typical coach, we wouldn't have been left behind and fallen to Duke levels of old.

The 2020 recruiting class and the free season should have been a huge benefit to the rebuild, not a detriment. Don't forget the transfer portal as well. CGC year 3 should be ahead of the traditional year 3. We are solidly in year 3 any way you want to slice it.

Let's hope it ends better than PJ's 3rd year, which - even with all that talent left behind - ended in a lost bowl and our first losing season in years.

Let's hope it ends better than PJ's 3rd year, which - even with all that talent left behind - ended in a lost bowl and our first losing season in years.

I honestly think 5 wins are possible and anything beyond 5 would be outstanding. I would love to go to the 'nobody else cares bowl'

So those that think CPJ was the worst thing to happen to GT in the last 30 years, who would you have wanted to hire that we could afford/would want to come here? I'm pro-CPJ (also pro-CGC) because I think the uniqueness of his offense gave us some stability during the major shift/arms race in CFB from the late 2000s up to a few years ago. I'm not sure that if we had hired a more typical coach, we wouldn't have been left behind and fallen to Duke levels of old.
Had GOL just stayed onboard, we would likely be in the ACC catbird seat right now.

Already better than 2010 since our starting QB didn’t break his arm after a turnover.

Oh my ööööing god you guys are actually doing this.

The allure of this thread has drawn in the poisoned misery from the remaining threads. Unfortunately, it has killed any discussion of cavman.

The allure of this thread has drawn in the poisoned misery from the remaining threads. Unfortunately, it has killed any discussion of cavman.

A4UjISg.jpg

Remember Kansas, MTSU, USF, BYU (back2back), Duke (pick a year) when did we ever out smart Teams, even under CPJ we made Tons of mental mistakes
Every time we beat Clemson, UGA, Miami, VT, FSU, etc. we were outsmarting and outplaying them. How else do you explain our “FCS talent” beating so many future NFLers? Yes, we also lost some games that we should have won. That’s why we have this thing called a record that you can look at over 11 years instead of cherry-picking examples to fit your narrative.

CPJ also got fat adding an extra cupcake just so he could pad his Record.

Gailey played Aubie & ND out of Conference and didn't mind playing real Teams, while CPJ wanted to pad his resume vs garbage lower level crap from the Carolinas like Woodford and W Carolina or an FCS Team, my theory is that CPJ knew his linemen were undersized and he tried to schedule as weak as he could to try and steal an extra win among our ACC Games by reducing the physicality of our OoC Gms.
“Theories” like this make your agenda obvious. You lose all credibility when you post things like that.

People keep saying we are losing to teams with lesser talent, but not along both Lines of Scrimmage, other than Citadel, a loss marred by tons of pre snap penalties and unforced errors, we haven't had better interior lines than a USF or a NIL this year, remember that Recruiting is pretty accurate at the upper Levels, but by the Time you get down to the #300 ranked OT or the #350 ranked OG (rankings similar to our current OLs when they came out of HS), There is a chance that guys at Duke or at a NIL could be better players than our Players along the LOS
It’s not just losing, it’s the manner in which we lost. Getting humiliated by mediocre competition on multiple occasions. Slip-ups happen, but over the course of multiple seasons, you are what your record says you are. I’m enjoying the improvement this season, but let’s not pretend that giving up 70 points or losing 45-0 to a conference foe that you had a winning streak over is anything other than embarrassing.

Why don't any of the CPJ fanboyz employ the "Vacation Cabin Philosophy", leave the FB Program the way it was when you found it (NFL Talent all over the place on both sides of the Ball with 21 out of 22 positions being very strong), why not hold CPJ to that standard?
This is why I feel like you have to be trolling. EVERY ööööING BODY knows CPJ was not a good recruiter at Tech. His defenses were weak because of it, and even his offenses sometimes struggled when completely overmatched. He inherited a lot of talent from the 2007 class, and didn’t leave nearly as much talent in 2018. Poor recruiting is the reason we were a decent program with a few sparks of greatness, rather than consistently great.

Last edited:
At the beginning of his tenure, CPJ took his predecessor’s talented players and won with them in ways that his predecessor could not.

At the end, he left mediocre players, but still won far more with them than his successor has.

I’m honestly not sure how someone see that and conclude anything other than that he’s a hell of a coach. Should we not want future coaches to rise to that level?

At the beginning of his tenure, CPJ took his predecessor’s talented players and won with them in ways that his predecessor could not.

At the end, he left mediocre players, but still won far more with them than his successor has.

I’m honestly not sure how someone see that and conclude anything other than that he’s a hell of a coach. Should we not want future coaches to rise to that level?
That bolded part was going to end because the NCAA changed rules on low contact and blocking by WRs cracking back into the "tackle box" were changed, so when you combine the bolded part, plus CPJ's continued weak Recruiting that would have lead to no Sims, no Gibbs, no McGowan, no Rutherford, et al.

Had CPJ stayed with his Recruiting, combined with the Rules Changes GT FB would be even uglier than it is now even if we do win vs The Citadel & NIL, why can't you guys understand that?

Part of ripping the Band-Aid off includes some WTF Games along the way while the overall trend is upward.

Good thing CPJ saw what was on the horizon (new rules & continued poor recruiting) and snuck out of town like a thief in the night

That bolded part was going to end because the NCAA changed rules on low contact and blocking by WRs cracking back into the "tackle box" were changed, so when you combine the bolded part, plus CPJ's continued weak Recruiting that would have lead to no Sims, no Gibbs, no McGowan, no Rutherford, et al.

Had CPJ stayed with his Recruiting, combined with the Rules Changes GT FB would be even uglier than it is now even if we do win vs The Citadel & NIL, why can't you guys understand that?

Part of ripping the Band-Aid off includes some WTF Games along the way while the overall trend is upward.

Good thing CPJ saw what was on the horizon (new rules & continued poor recruiting) and snuck out of town like a thief in the night
Everyone understands that, which is why most people that you try to argue with repeatedly agree that it was time for CPJ to move on.

Where we disagree is when you try to discredit CPJ’s entire tenure in an attempt to defend CGC.

If CPJ is such a coaching genius, explain what happened in his 3rd year when the Trend should be upward?

Helluva Coach, hardly!

Once other HCs adjusted to cut blocks & low Contact he went thru a run (2010 thru 2013) where he was horrible vs the toughest 4 Teams on our Sked, he was worse than Chan vs those 4 Teams until 2014 , bowls vs Air Force & Olé Miss were a harbinger of things to come.

Your problem is that you have a "CFB inferiority complex", your inferiority complex leads you to love being known as the only P5 Team running the Triple , rather than a P5 Team that takes advantage of the nearby wealth of HS Talent that CAN GRADUATE from GT and play 10 win CFB.

That's the real reason I have such a problem with CPJ Fanboyz, I felt Chan had us on the verge of going on a run of 9 & 10 win seasons had we found a QB, he had made inroads with HS Coaches in GA, he had built a stable Program and then our stupid behind the scenes "FB Guys" made the decision to go with the friggin' Triple Option and ultimately destabilize GT FB for what may be the better part of 2 decades.

11 years of HS Recruits not taking your Team seriously can destabilize you for almost 20 years, unless the right Guy with the right attitude takes the Job, so regardless of "genius play calling", this is the 1 reason we should all get behind CGC, it takes a Guy with his mindset to dig us out of the :crapstorm: that CPJ left us in.

GT Fans should be smart enough to have figured out by now , Games aren't won with genius playcalls , Games are won when Players play mistake free FB and execute under the pressure of Game situations.

It has always been about the Players (mainly Linemen), and it will always be about the Players (mainly Linemen), a few blips of a gimmick diving at the opponents kneecaps system doesn't change the General Rule

If CPJ is such a coaching genius, explain what happened in his 3rd year when the Trend should be upward?

Helluva Coach, hardly!

Once other HCs adjusted to cut blocks & low Contact he went thru a run (2010 thru 2013) where he was horrible vs the toughest 4 Teams on our Sked, he was worse than Chan vs those 4 Teams until 2014 , bowls vs Air Force & Olé Miss were a harbinger of things to come.

Your problem is that you have a "CFB inferiority complex", your inferiority complex leads you to love being known as the only P5 Team running the Triple , rather than a P5 Team that takes advantage of the nearby wealth of HS Talent that CAN GRADUATE from GT and play 10 win CFB.

That's the real reason I have such a problem with CPJ Fanboyz, I felt Chan had us on the verge of going on a run of 9 & 10 win seasons had we found a QB, he had made inroads with HS Coaches in GA, he had built a stable Program and then our stupid behind the scenes "FB Guys" made the decision to go with the friggin' Triple Option and ultimately destabilize GT FB for what may be the better part of 2 decades.

11 years of HS Recruits not taking your Team seriously can destabilize you for almost 20 years, unless the right Guy with the right attitude takes the Job, so regardless of "genius play calling", this is the 1 reason we should all get behind CGC, it takes a Guy with his mindset to dig us out of the :crapstorm: that CPJ left us in.

GT Fans should be smart enough to have figured out by now , Games aren't won with genius playcalls , Games are won when Players play mistake free FB and execute under the pressure of Game situations.

It has always been about the Players (mainly Linemen), and it will always be about the Players (mainly Linemen), a few blips of a gimmick diving at the opponents kneecaps system doesn't change the General Rule
This is not even a response to my post, it’s just another fact-ignoring diatribe about how anyone who likes CPJ is an idiot.

This is not even a response to my post, it’s just another fact-ignoring diatribe about how anyone who likes CPJ is an idiot.
You said CPJ is a helluva Coach.

"Helluva Coaches" don't leave Programs in shambles and destroy all the Goodwill with the in-State HS FB Coaches after 11 years on Campus, if he were truly a helluva Coach he would have left everything in much better shape after he resigned.

No diatribe, I merely listed multiple examples as to why CPJ was never a helluva Coach.

GT Fans need to learn the difference between being a helluva coach and a "1 trick pony".

We had a 1 trick pony, guys that are helluva Coaches pay attention to all aspects of their FB Programs, including Recruiting and Public outreach & PR.

Maybe you should learn what Guys that are helluva Coaches actually do to earn that Title!

After NCAA rules changes shouldn't a Guy that many around here call a genius on Offense and "great Gameday HC", shouldn't a Guy like that be able to simply adjust to the Rules Changes?

After all, all the other HCs did?

Can anyone explain why our Genius-in-Residence HC was unable to adjust to the new Rules?

Does anyone know how many AL Managers in MLB quit after they started using the DH?

I'll give you a hint:

The answer starts with "z" and ends with "o"
Zoo

Back