Official: Check in here to eat your CGC and Sims crow

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
We’d have to win 17 in a row to get to .580 and we can’t even win 2 in a row nor beat a team that finishes with a winning record.
Excellent calculations, I give you credit for those computations

Now, can you compute how long it is going to take to repair the 11 years worth of damage that your Hero did to Relationships with HS FB Coaches here in GA, the #4 State for HS Talent.

You should thank our current HC for helping improve our reputation Statewide, helping us to dig out of that recruiting hole left behind by your hero.

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Excellent calculations, I give you credit for those computations

Now, can you compute how long it is going to take to repair the 11 years worth of damage that your Hero did to Relationships with HS FB Coaches here in GA, the #4 State for HS Talent.

You should thank our current HC for helping improve our reputation Statewide, helping us to dig out of that recruiting hole left behind by your hero.
You think any high school coach would hold a CPJ grudge against his replacement? Hahahah. That’s rich. There is no 3O reputation to harm Tech anymore either. Find another crutch for the boob with da juice. Recruiting is the only thing he’s doing worth a damn. He sure as hell hasn’t improved our press man coverage.

H-town

Helluva Engineer
That throw was too accurate to be "a prayer", if a QB that "you approve of" makes the same throw, in the same situation, would you call it a prayer?

I think not, you'd say the Guy was a gamer and really has a good understanding of the mental aspects of playing QB, you'd say he has it all between the Ears.....

PNode sent in the Plays, you can't just hang the bad Plays around his neck, and then forget that he also called the good plays.
That last TD pass was awesome. Big time throw and catch.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
We’d have to win 17 in a row to get to .580 and we can’t even win 2 in a row nor beat a team that finishes with a winning record.
Honest question to ElCid, aeromech, and other "CPJ is a god" jock sniffers. We know you can't stand CGC but what would've been reasonable expectations once CPJ left by a worthy head coach? We played in some less than spectacular bowls the closing years before CPJ quit but they were bowl games nevertheless. What were your expectations especially in years one and two after CPJ left us? Would you had predicted we would go to bowl games? It's very easy to crap on CGC's record but you sound like an imbecile without adding any context. If anything it proves you can't be objective. How many coaches do you think were lining up to take this job without some sort of cushion whether that being salary or years under contract? You guys don't acknowledge that a rebuild was even needed so what were your expectations?

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Honest question to ElCid, aeromech, and other "CPJ is a god" jock sniffers. We know you can't stand CGC but what would've been reasonable expectations once CPJ left by a worthy head coach? We played in some less than spectacular bowls the closing years before CPJ quit but they were bowl games nevertheless. What were your expectations especially in years one and two after CPJ left us? Would you had predicted we would go to bowl games? It's very easy to crap on CGC's record but you sound like an imbecile without adding any context. If anything it proves you can't be objective. How many coaches do you think were lining up to take this job without some sort of cushion whether that being salary or years under contract? You guys don't acknowledge that a rebuild was even needed so what were your expectations?
Get your nose out of Collins jock before asking next time.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
Get your nose out of Collins jock before asking next time.
I haven't made my mind about Collins yet. I don't think he's had enough time for someone to have gathered a full perspective yet. Are there deficiencies and things to work on yes but I'm saving my judgment because he had a great task in turning a TO team into a pro style in this modern Era of P5 football. Who the hell else was lining up to eat that öööö sandwich?

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I haven't made my mind about Collins yet. I don't think he's had enough time for someone to have gathered a full perspective yet. Are there deficiencies and things to work on yes but I'm saving my judgment because he had a great task in turning a TO team into a pro style in this modern Era of P5 football. Who the hell else was lining up to eat that öööö sandwich?
That whole transition stuff was mostly propaganda BS to buy himself extra patience in a profession that doesn’t receive much. So pretty savvy even if way overblown.

He’s done better than expected recruiting wise and that shouldn’t be overlooked at all. I give him a B+ for recruiting but that’s probably being generous as he hasn’t brought in many big nasties for the lines of scrimmage.

Overall grade is a D+ but he has the rest of this year and next to pull his grades up. I’m just not expecting him to. So I’m judging him poorly but that’s subject to change. Just win baby. Or failing that make some big upgrades in staff. That’s not very much under his control without more $$$ but his fate likely depends on it.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
The biggest knock on Collins is that he was the one dumb enough to come coach here after we finally bottomed out following a failed option experiment. I’d have rather kept Gailey than write off 20 years of Tech football after getting rid of the option and all of its metastasis.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
The biggest knock on Collins is that he was the one dumb enough to come coach here after we finally bottomed out following a failed option experiment. I’d have rather kept Gailey than write off 20 years of Tech football after getting rid of the option and all of its metastasis.
Wait so you’re saying you’d rather not have a coach?

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Wait so you’re saying you’d rather not have a coach?
No. I’m saying that whoever followed the option boondoggle was going to have misery because of the mess left behind. It screwed up our roster and our recruiting.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We didn't run this offense before now because we were 'ripping the band aid off' and running the offense of the future; while blaming all the problems on the roster.
If you don’t think the roster was a problem when Collins took over I don’t know what to say.

how many years does it take for Collins to get his own recruits in there and have our first string R-seniors and seniors and their back ups seniors and juniors?

Ans. Five years minimum. But more ideally six or seven years. That’s the only time you will truly know anything.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
Didn’t realize this was Wrexie.

Anyone remember 20ozBullpuppy? Wonder what happened to him?
Due to inflation he’s down to 10oz now and still collecting some gagger sponsored stipend for being a loyalist.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
That doesn't explain why plenty of pedestrian programs are able to get more push than our OL. Even Duke arguably has a better OL than we do. We can all agree that the talent there isn't where we want it to be, but if you think that the coaching staff is doing everything right and it's 100% on the players, you're delusional. There's blame to go around, and the coaches share in that.
So rather than continue to go portal shopping in order to bring in 1 and done grad students, why not throw some of the younger guys to the wolves with on the job training. It appears that we are damned if we do and damned if we dont

johncu

Dodd-Like
If “bottoming out” is making a bowl game, what have we done since?

It absolutely blows my mind that a supposed Tech “fan” would call 2008-2018 a failed experiment. We won the ACC for the first time in 20 years and had multiple 10 win seasons. I would take that type of success for CGC’s tenure in a heartbeat.

The excuse-making about long term effects is absurd. 20 years? Give me a damn break. CGC was hired to turn over the roster and boost recruiting, and he’s doing exactly that. It took a few years, like we all knew it would, but now we’re recruiting at a higher level than we were even pre-CPJ and Collins has changed our marketing pitch.

Now he just has to prove he can coach (or hire a staff that can). If he can, then nobody will miss CPJ in a couple years.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
If you don’t think the roster was a problem when Collins took over I don’t know what to say.

how many years does it take for Collins to get his own recruits in there and have our first string R-seniors and seniors and their back ups seniors and juniors?

Ans. Five years minimum. But more ideally six or seven years. That’s the only time you will truly know anything.
If you think we had to run an offense that didn't play to any of the skills of the roster then I don't know what to say. We could have been running a two back set and some rpo from Collins first year; the decision was made to forgo that and run an offense we knew (or should have known) did not fit the roster. You can only blame the roster you were left to a certain point; after that you have to take ownership.

As for your five years minimum, this is 2021, we have a transfer portal now that Collins has been using that significantly shortens that time line. Even before the portal no one got six or seven years to even have a mediocre season, that is simply nuts. I have been on the board long enough to remember posters who liked Chan being accused of "settling for mediocrity"; now I would love to have a mediocre season so we could accuse fans of settling for it. If we can win 2 in a row or half of our remaining schedule that would be great.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
So rather than continue to go portal shopping in order to bring in 1 and done grad students, why not throw some of the younger guys to the wolves with on the job training. It appears that we are damned if we do and damned if we dont
How many of the portal guys have been 1 and done? It is a serious question, I think some the grad transfers on the OL have been; but I think some the defense transfers, WR's, QB, etcetera were brought in as multi-year players. Some of that has gotten confusing with the COVID year.

johncu

Dodd-Like
As has been said countless times, nobody expected us to make bowls in Years 1 and 2. We knew we’d lose games. We just didn’t expect to lose to FCS teams or get humiliated multiple times in historic fashion.

FWIW I do not dislike CGC at all, and think he was the right hire if we were set on moving away from the 3O. I think he deserves (and has) a minimum of 5 years to complete the transition and prove himself. That still doesn’t mean I should be happy when I watch us get slaughtered at home by a Pitt team that lost to Western Michigan, or consistently fail to utilize a generational talent on offense. For all his faults, CPJ did consistently get his players to punch above their weight. Should we not expect the same from this staff, if we want to get back to competing for ACC titles?

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Lmao we beat a team on the road CPJ could never handle and people want to bitch
I have my differences with jts but this is not one of them.

Duke gave us their best shot and we fought it off. Then we called nothing but scoring plays when a FG would have sufficed. I was proud of how we finished the game. Proud.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
If you think we had to run an offense that didn't play to any of the skills of the roster then I don't know what to say. We could have been running a two back set and some rpo from Collins first year; the decision was made to forgo that and run an offense we knew (or should have known) did not fit the roster. You can only blame the roster you were left to a certain point; after that you have to take ownership.
I think the issue with this idea is what kind of OC do you think we could of gotten that would agree to come here to Not run their own offense for the first 3 years? That's even assuming the offense staff would be proficient in multiple kinds of offenses. Or conversely do we try to hire someone who could run a good offense that fits the current roster with the plan being to boot them in 3-4 years to run the offense we wanted to run?

My impression is that the idea that any OC should or can install any kind of offense to suit the players for any given year is kind of a romanticized view of the job. Maybe some coaches are able to, but I'd imagine they are pretty valuable commodities.