Official: Check in here to eat your CGC and Sims crow

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I think the issue with this idea is what kind of OC do you think we could of gotten that would agree to come here to Not run their own offense for the first 3 years? That's even assuming the offense staff would be proficient in multiple kinds of offenses. Or conversely do we try to hire someone who could run a good offense that fits the current roster with the plan being to boot them in 3-4 years to run the offense we wanted to run?

My impression is that the idea that any OC should or can install any kind of offense to suit the players for any given year is kind of a romanticized view of the job. Maybe some coaches are able to, but I'd imagine they are pretty valuable commodities.
That is where we disagree. I think a mediocre OC at the P5 level should be able to put together a competent offense that suits the roster. I am not expecting him to win the conference or even the Coastal with such an offense; but at least be competitive enough with it to beat the Citadel and not get shut out. How many years did we put up with complaining about our last OC being too stubborn and more focused on the system than winning? Sadly, I am not the least bit confident our current OC can win once the roster is filled with his own players.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
I think the issue with this idea is what kind of OC do you think we could of gotten that would agree to come here to Not run their own offense for the first 3 years? That's even assuming the offense staff would be proficient in multiple kinds of offenses. Or conversely do we try to hire someone who could run a good offense that fits the current roster with the plan being to boot them in 3-4 years to run the offense we wanted to run?

My impression is that the idea that any OC should or can install any kind of offense to suit the players for any given year is kind of a romanticized view of the job. Maybe some coaches are able to, but I'd imagine they are pretty valuable commodities.
Well now that we got those 3 intense anxiety inducing years over for potential OC candidates that would have spurned us in 2019, we can go out and get a competent OC now?

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Well now that we got those 3 intense anxiety inducing years over for potential OC candidates that would have spurned us in 2019, we can go out and get a competent OC now?
It's an option. Idk if we want to get a better looking OL before doing that or let them bring someone in to improve it.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
How many of the portal guys have been 1 and done? It is a serious question, I think some the grad transfers on the OL have been; but I think some the defense transfers, WR's, QB, etcetera were brought in as multi-year players. Some of that has gotten confusing with the COVID year.
OL is what I was referring to in this particular instance. Im not a talent evaluator by any stretch of the imagination nor am I an OL aficionado, but for an OL group that is experienced from an age and experience perspective (TN and Vandy guys specifically) then why cant we establish a semi honest running game? We certainly cant use the 3O excuse for their inability to perform. What am I missing here as the eye test aint so blurred from my perspective.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
OL is what I was referring to in this particular instance. Im not a talent evaluator by any stretch of the imagination nor am I an OL aficionado, but for an OL group that is experienced from an age and experience perspective (TN and Vandy guys specifically) then why cant we establish a semi honest running game? We certainly cant use the 3O excuse for their inability to perform. What am I missing here as the eye test aint so blurred from my perspective.
For one we lack the cohesion of a group with old guys who have played together in a common system and younger guys who come up in and train in a system with the older group. Our old guys come from elsewhere or came up in a wildly different system. There’s no one who can be that on field leader we need.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Tracking ahead of the Vegas line…..please allow this coach the same 5 years you gave our other sports coach….Collins has done more with less
More than who? Certainly not more than his predecessor did. Also not more than the bball coach you love to hate, who was also left with an extremely limited roster.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
IIRC, this is CGC's first full year. I think you folks are jumping the gun. He should get three full years before you can tar and feather him.

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
No. I’m saying that whoever followed the option boondoggle was going to have misery because of the mess left behind. It screwed up our roster and our recruiting.
The crutch that keeps on giving. As things continue to trend down…you will still come back to this lame crutch of an excuse for failure.

GATechAE07

Dodd-Like
Tracking ahead of the Vegas line…..please allow this coach the same 5 years you gave our other sports coach….Collins has done more with less
I don’t remember Scooter winning an ACC Championship or making the post season.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Are you honestly suggesting you can just make the wins/game a slope and extrapolate them as “tracking ahead of Vegas?”

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Really we shouldn’t be surprised after the AJC jinx job. “Durrr GT is alternating wins and losses folks! Duh har har!” Assholes.

Last edited: