Official Clown Destroyed Postgame Thread

Too happy to complain yet but we should have had Pyron running more of the offense, not just the 1-2 goal line package plays

It's really odd because when King beat Pyron out we all thought we had the best QB situation at Tech in terms of depth in a long time, perhaps ever.

And then a situation where we actually need it comes into play and we're too scared to treat him like an actual QB. Those were the plays you call for a third or fourth stringer.

What happened?

I'm still processing what I just saw, and I think I will need to see Pyron run the whole offense before I know how I feel about our prospects for the rest of the season. I know the kid has the arm talent and the football IQ to run it, though so I ain't scared. He has a really talented set of skill players to help him. I don't think the OL or DL is doing poorly, either, but the coaching decisions are getting really painful to watch.

We are having way too many self destructs right now, and it comes back to coaching. Time management, play calling, special teams... It's better than it was, but it still ain't good. I have a lot of respect for this coaching staff for restoring disciplined football to GT, but it appears to be slipping away avain. We gotta figure that out. If we do, we will do well.
What is King’s early injury diagnosis?

Pyron has played in some games already earlier in his career and like I mentioned before the season, I think GT is just fine if Pyron needs to play for an injured King. GT has a luxury most CFB teams don’t. A proven backup QB.

It's really odd because when King beat Pyron out we all thought we had the best QB situation at Tech in terms of depth in a long time, perhaps ever.

And then a situation where we actually need it comes into play and we're too scared to treat him like an actual QB. Those were the plays you call for a third or fourth stringer.

What happened?
Hoping it's just that we didn't respect their run defense. I mean it worked out at the end. But two series and no passes, nor any outside runs that I remember

It also would've worked on the second series if we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot with the substitution penalty

ND is now a great matchup? That whole damn Game Thread says the coaches, D, etc, etc, etc, etc stink. Yet ND is a great matchup?

If you really think GT is better than their record says they are, you haven’t been watching. The fact that this team has WON close games is a huge! The team STILL has major improvement needed along the DL, etc. That is on the way next year.

This is a 6-7 win team. Always was with the schedule in place.

GT’s schedule lightens up in a big way next year, and 9 wins is very much within reach if pieces on O stay, and recruiting + Portal help fill some gaps/depth.

Because ND is essentially Duke with a better brand. Good defense bad offense. Everything else is window dressing.

Assuming King is alright, I really hope we eventually see something different out of the Pyron goal line package. Jump pass, throw to the flats, etc. Maybe they’re just setting it up for bigger games, but UNC was teeing off on him.

If King isn’t alright, I hope they open up the playbook for Pyron. As others have said, he played well for us in Key’s interim season before his injury. Surely he can still sling it.

Hoping it's just that we didn't respect their run defense. I mean it worked out at the end. But two series and no passes, nor any outside runs that I remember

Realistically I think Key is still very tentative and uncomfortable in high pressure gameplay situations, and in this case it made him way too conservative. As soon as it was tied with nothing to lose we immediately threw a pass out wide.

Key is like the opposite of big balls Paul right now. Hopefully that's something he can improve, it is only his third year as a HC period.

What is King’s early injury diagnosis?

Pyron has played in some games already earlier in his career and like I mentioned before the season, I think GT is just fine if Pyron needs to play for an injured King. GT has a luxury most CFB teams don’t. A proven backup QB.
Problem right now is that our coaches are not putting him in a position to succeed. Every opposing defense is geared to stop the run when he comes in. Give him an opportunity to succeed because today his completion % was 100%.

Assuming King is alright, I really hope we eventually see something different out of the Pyron goal line package. Jump pass, throw to the flats, etc. Maybe they’re just setting it up for bigger games, but UNC was teeing off on him.

If King isn’t alright, I hope they open up the playbook for Pyron. As others have said, he played well for us in Key’s interim season before his injury. Surely he can still sling it.
This and I want to see more of the Harpring kid. We have to incorporate our TE into the offense.

Because ND is essentially Duke with a better brand. Good defense bad offense. Everything else is window dressing.
So was the Duke win a quality win? There are people who were upset GT didn’t win easier last week against a team who came into the game 5-0 and needed a huge comeback to beat UNC. Personally I think GT beat a very sound team last week.

That said, ND is another level talent wise over Duke.

@Akinji07 glad he drove the seven hours. That equates to 53 yards rushing for every hour driven.
IMG_9256.jpeg

Back