Official GT Head Coach News Thread

Question based off the Chadwell wanted to bring his Defensive staff, we said no, so he said no...

Are we trying to retain Thacker? Do we have another DC lined up that the ne HC won't have a say in?

Either of these scenarios would seem to be a negative for a new HC.
It could be we did our digging on his coaches. We assessed their strengths and weaknesses.

We asked for his staff plans, during the interview. He said, "I want my boys along with me for the ride."

We felt his staff weren't all that great, and the ultimatum was thrown down that he'd rather stick with the boys than upgrade.

It is funny to me that we have people saying that Boosters should keep their noses out of it and just pay their millions into the program while at the same time long time fans here on Stingtalk with no financial investment in the program screaming that if a coach they don’t like is picked they will quit being fans.
I can't speak for others, but I wouldn't quit being a fan for any particular hire. Maybe BOB would make me think about it, but probably wouldn't really do it and that's from a different set of principles.
There's a difference between noses being in/out of things and full on going "hire the guy I want hired or my money is gone", which to me sounds too similar to "I'll quit being a fan if we do/don't hire this coach". We've heard rumors that span the whole spectrum from the above in quotes to Batt is completely stonewalling them and we have no idea where reality actually falls on that. Both extremes of that are bad.

I can't speak for others, but I wouldn't quit being a fan for any particular hire. Maybe BOB would make me think about it, but probably wouldn't really do it and that's from a different set of principles.
There's a difference between noses being in/out of things and full on going "hire the guy I want hired or my money is gone", which to me sounds too similar to "I'll quit being a fan if we do/don't hire this coach". We've heard rumors that span the whole spectrum from the above in quotes to Batt is completely stonewalling them and we have no idea where reality actually falls on that. Both extremes of that are bad.
From past hires and widely circulated knowledge, a small group has run the asylum through purse strings. And they’ve made some monumentally bad decisions.

Hello Fellow Yellow Jackets!

First post here on StingTalk…
C6B93795-77E1-4F76-B82B-28BD8C48FF53.jpeg

What has the search committee been doing for two months? Seems like we are scrambling late despite starting an early process.

I am far from "Team Key" but the most recent developments have me wondering if we might as well keep Brent.

Not sure if anyone else caught Joe Hamilton earlier on 680 but he said that Chip Long wasn't involved in game planning or play calling the last couple of games. Apparently Key gave Weinke the opportunity since the Miami game.
Sounds plausible. The offense definitely seemed to be out of character for Long in UNC and UGA compared to the first 10 games. I thought it was possible that Long was breaking trends because he thought Miami loss ended his shot at staying, but this could be another reasonable explanation.

Not sure if anyone else caught Joe Hamilton earlier on 680 but he said that Chip Long wasn't involved in game planning or play calling the last couple of games. Apparently Key gave Weinke the opportunity since the Miami game.

I noticed he was on the sidelines the last few games, but for all I know he’s been on the sidelines all year. There were a few shots of him during COFH with headsets on, but not doing anything. Was Weinke up in the booth?

Question based off the Chadwell wanted to bring his Defensive staff, we said no, so he said no...

Are we trying to retain Thacker? Do we have another DC lined up that the ne HC won't have a say in?

Either of these scenarios would seem to be a negative for a new HC.

Saw that on another message board too.
I didn't like it when Collins cleared house and sent all of PJ's people packing. Was hoping he'd keep Andy Mac, who is a good guy and a good recruiter and seemed to really get along with the players. But he's the coach and he can bring in who he wants.
A new coach ought to be able to bring in his own people. PJ kept some of Gailey's staff, but over time, those guys left, and he replaced them.
If I'm Chadwell and the AD says no, you have to keep this guy, I'd say, you can keep the contract.

Back