Official GT Head Coach News Thread

what I heard tonight (and I have no idea how accurate this is but I think the original sources are good):
Fritz got mad his name got leaked and has removed his name from consideration
Big money donors are now pressing Batt to give the keys to Key.

So ... if, and again, we're dealing with if/then statements like a BASIC program, it is true that:
1. we offered Chadwell, but he reneged when he couldn't bring his guys
2. we offered Fritz but he said no when it got out before his conference title game
3. big money guys are throwing their weight around to make the new AD hire their candidate ...

Then that is mangling a coaching search

Eh, we can't control how sensitive or incorrigible a coach is going to be. Even if both 1 and 2 are true, I don't think it's unreasonable for Tech to want assurances that a coach without P5 experience is going to address that shortcoming on his staff as opposed to bringing all of his non-P5 assistants with him. And sometimes things get leaked; if that's enough to turn Fritz off to Tech, then perhaps he is not ready for the increased spotlight that comes with coaching at a larger program. (IF those things are true, of course.)

what I heard tonight (and I have no idea how accurate this is but I think the original sources are good):

So ... if, and again, we're dealing with if/then statements like a BASIC program, it is true that:
2. we offered Fritz but he said no when it got out before his conference title game
3. big money guys are throwing their weight around to make the new AD hire their candidate ...

Starting to feel like the coaching search got mangled right when Downs dropped that pass at UNC.

I don't believe #1 unless it was some background check or due diligence or other HR issue. It'd be abnormal for an administration to meddle in assistant coach hires.

Don't believe #2 either. Fritz is going to give up a big career opportunity over some indiscretion?

If true then big

I don't believe #1 unless it was some background check or due diligence or other HR issue. It'd be abnormal for an administration to meddle in assistant coach hires.

Don't believe #2 either. Fritz is going to give up a big career opportunity over some indiscretion?

I guess there's a reasonable version of #1:
We had concerns about Chadwell's defenses, and he insisted on bringing his existing staff, so we decided Chadwell was not the top candidate.

But I'm talking to myself now so it's time to stop posting.

I guess there's a reasonable version of #1:
We had concerns about Chadwell's defenses, and he insisted on bringing his existing staff, so we decided Chadwell was not the top candidate.

But I'm talking to myself now so it's time to stop posting.
worst pass defense in the Fun Belt!

The JBatt should go back to Chadwell and tell him he gets his staff

If the poobahs in the Edge think they are so ööööing smart that they deserve to tell a HC candidate who his assistants have to be, then we will NEVER not suck at football ever again.

If these ööööwads think they know football better than Chadwell, then they need to pull a Dick Cheney and coach the ööööing team themselves.

If the poobahs in the Edge think they are so ööööing smart that they deserve to tell a HC candidate who his assistants have to be, then we will NEVER not suck at football ever again.

If these ööööwads think they know football better than Chadwell, then they need to pull a Dick Cheney and coach the ööööing team themselves.

I think the fear is we end up with more Patenaude, Burton, Popovich types. Inexperienced, budget assistants have been pointed to as a reason for Collins' failure. That said, at this point, I would not let it be the deal breaker if we otherwise think Chadwell is the guy.

I think the fear is we end up with more Patenaude, Burton, Popovich types. Inexperienced, budget assistants have been pointed to as a reason for Collins' failure. That said, at this point, I would not let it be the deal breaker if we otherwise think Chadwell is the guy.

I was listening to 680 this morning on the way to work (I know, I know) but Joe Ham made the comment that the administration is trying to force some of the current staff on the new coach. If this is true that is disturbing for several reasons.

1. The meddling before the job is even taken is going to turn off the top candidates. It lines up with what we are hearing about Chadwell.
2. The reason behind not hiring Key much not be looking for a completely fresh start if they are trying to keep some of the prior administration in the building.

I hope this isn't true.

If I had to guess, some of the $$$ threw that in as a poison pill. I would not assume that this is the AD.

I wonder if the main issue with Chadwell isn’t his staff but the condition that Key be retained no matter what as some have been reported. That’s the recipe for a divisive locker room. I can understand Chadwell’s reluctance at that point.

Back