Official GT Head Coach News Thread

I think the fear is we end up with more Patenaude, Burton, Popovich types. Inexperienced, budget assistants have been pointed to as a reason for Collins' failure. That said, at this point, I would not let it be the deal breaker if we otherwise think Chadwell is the guy.

But it's weird to say, "You are the guy to lead GT to the future. We think you are competent and capable of managing the hundreds of aspects of running a successful football program." and then the next sentence say, "Wait a minute, you want to choose your own assistants? We're not going to trust you to do that, what if you make poor choices?"

I wonder if the main issue with Chadwell isn’t his staff but the condition that Key be retained no matter what as some have been reported. That’s the recipe for a divisive locker room. I can understand Chadwell’s reluctance at that point.

Has anyone reported that? I haven't even seen a rumor to that effect, only some message board posts saying they wish we would do that.

I find it hard to believe that is under consideration. It is an extremely bad idea.

Has anyone reported that? I haven't even seen a rumor to that effect, only some message board posts saying they wish we would do that.

I find it hard to believe that is under consideration. It is an extremely bad idea.
There has been no reliable source to say Chadwell had withdrawn from consideration. Hell, there’s nothing reliable that I can recall to even say he has interviewed now that I think of it.

I was listening to 680 this morning on the way to work (I know, I know) but Joe Ham made the comment that the administration is trying to force some of the current staff on the new coach. If this is true that is disturbing for several reasons.

1. The meddling before the job is even taken is going to turn off the top candidates. It lines up with what we are hearing about Chadwell.
2. The reason behind not hiring Key much not be looking for a completely fresh start if they are trying to keep some of the prior administration in the building.

I hope this isn't true.
I hope this is not true. If it is then they might as well hire Key and set up a puppet regime we're someone else is pulling the strings.

There has been no reliable source to say Chadwell had withdrawn from consideration. Hell, there’s nothing reliable that I can recall to even say he has interviewed now that I think of it.

What’s a reliable source these days? AJC has been guessing and wrong multiple times

Just imagine if Batt already has a deal with Chadwell locked up and all of the Fritz leaks are nothing but smokescreen stuff so Chadwell and his team can concentrate on the Sun Belt championship. We're going to look like complete idiots.

Just imagine if Batt already has a deal with Chadwell locked up and all of the Fritz leaks are nothing but smokescreen stuff so Chadwell and his team can concentrate on the Sun Belt championship. We're going to look like complete idiots.
I’ve been wondering if something like that was up because Chadwell has been a zero factor in the news despite being put in a lot of media articles as a top target.

Not disrespecting Key here but who would trust their most likely replacement if things go south? Collins was miserable but surely that was in the back of his mind. Key should not be forced on the new coach. If Key was so necessary he would be hired in the first place.

Hell, also for Key it has to be painful watching this go on. But if the rumors are true and he is leading a coup he isn’t helping Georgia Tech.

I’ve been wondering if something like that was up because Chadwell has been a zero factor in the news despite being put in a lot of media articles as a top target.
That would explain why there's been zero word from the GTAA, not a peep from Coastal Carolina in terms of trying to match an offer, or his name being tied to/interviewed for any other jobs.

Not disrespecting Key here but who would trust their most likely replacement if things go south? Collins was miserable but surely that was in the back of his mind. Key should not be forced on the new coach. If Key was so necessary he would be hired in the first place.

Hell, also for Key it has to be painful watching this go on. But if the rumors are true and he is leading a coup he isn’t helping Georgia Tech.

At this point I'm convinced none of the rumors are true. It seems like people just making stuff up as they go along.

Chadwell being all but a done deal, Chadwell being kicked to the curb because he wants to choose his own assistants, Fritz contract literally being signed, Fritz withdrawing because of leaks, several candidates still waiting to be interviewed because of conference championship games, Key donors leading a coup...anything is possible but from what I can tell we all know basically nothing at this point.

At this point I'm convinced none of the rumors are true. It seems like people just making stuff up as they go along.

Chadwell being all but a done deal, Chadwell being kicked to the curb because he wants to choose his own assistants, Fritz contract literally being signed, Fritz withdrawing because of leaks, several candidates still waiting to be interviewed because of conference championship games, Key donors leading a coup...anything is possible but from what I can tell we all know basically nothing at this point.
The big donors have had too much control since the end of Johnson’s tenure. They are driving the train off the rails. But at the same time they are funding the whole expedition.

It is not unreasonable to believe they are trying to force Key on the new staff

The big donors have had too much control since the end of Johnson’s tenure. They are driving the train off the rails. But at the same time they are funding the whole expedition.

It is not unreasonable to believe they are trying to force Key on the new staff

No, it's not unreasonable at all. But just because something is reasonable doesn't mean it's true. This coaching search has been full of reasonable rumors that turned out to either be made up or inaccurate. We're all flying blind right now, and in the vacuum of accurate information a lot of these rumors are unfortunately going to color people's opinions of everything that took place.

At first I was impressed by how tight to the vest this coaching search was, and how little accurate info leaked. But I'm starting to think that's actually a bad thing, and perhaps some deliberate leaks to control the public narrative would have been good.

But it's weird to say, "You are the guy to lead GT to the future. We think you are competent and capable of managing the hundreds of aspects of running a successful football program." and then the next sentence say, "Wait a minute, you want to choose your own assistants? We're not going to trust you to do that, what if you make poor choices?"

What if you think Chadwell is the guy, then in the interview he makes it clear he is bringing his entire staff, and then you are shocked because you know his defensive staff sucks from top to bottom? Maybe then you realize he isn't ready for P5 football and isn't the guy to manage your program because his focus is on his drinking buddies.

Fritz got mad his name got leaked and has removed his name from consideration

that-dont-make-no-sense-o-brother-where-art-thou.gif

I think this is BS. If they were really thinking that they would want certain members of the staff retained, they would just go with Key.

Back