Official GT Head Coach News Thread

Alot of board members at the gtaa are of the opinion that gt hire a bargain coach that wants to be here and take a chance at a cheaper dollar. Just fyi. Not saying it will play out that way. But many on that board have been saying that.
F that. Just go ahead and pack it in. Rent BDS to a soccer team and call it a day if that is the attitude.

Alot of board members at the gtaa are of the opinion that gt hire a bargain coach that wants to be here and take a chance at a cheaper dollar. Just fyi. Not saying it will play out that way. But many on that board have been saying that.
That pretty much sounds the same as "...hire Brent Key" which I wouldn't object to based on what I saw from him this year. But applying that logic with anyone other than Key would be a disaster. Cabrera and J may have to separate from some boosters to move our program forward.

At this point I'm convinced none of the rumors are true. It seems like people just making stuff up as they go along.

Chadwell being all but a done deal, Chadwell being kicked to the curb because he wants to choose his own assistants, Fritz contract literally being signed, Fritz withdrawing because of leaks, several candidates still waiting to be interviewed because of conference championship games, Key donors leading a coup...anything is possible but from what I can tell we all know basically nothing at this point.
Agree. I’m just waiting for a rumor to come out that Muttchamp is interviewing.

If the boosters wanted to control the process to that degree, why push TStan out? He'd have just done whatever they wanted to keep his job and he only hires Tech men anyway. Why hire a hotshot young AD from Bama and then get in his way? Example 1 of why we can't have nice things.

Amazingly Collins has actually moved on and will still be coaching --- at Nebraska under Rhule
1669686200123.png

Just checked, there are Waffle Houses in Lincoln, NE.

F that. Just go ahead and pack it in. Rent BDS to a soccer team and call it a day if that is the attitude.

Don't be such a Chicken Little. Key has demonstrated that he has what it takes to coach the team. Give him a shot. I've been saying that since the first couple of weeks he was the interim.

If it doesn't work out, there will be other options to pursue when we have a lot more disposable money to throw at it.

FWIW, I think the GTAA wants a cost effective hire while we work on fundraising. Cabrera and Batt's long term goal is to get much more money funneled into the program but it doesn't/can't happen overnight, and overpaying for a new coach while we are already cash-strapped doesn't help the cause. IMO, Batt had his mind set on an outside hire, clean house and start fresh to get the Collins stink off the program. Key's success and support group has now thrown a wrench into all that.

I think Key fits the bill and i would prefer him over an over the hill old man. We need a GO F---K ME account started for GT FANS

If the boosters wanted to control the process to that degree, why push TStan out? He'd have just done whatever they wanted to keep his job and he only hires Tech men anyway. Why hire a hotshot young AD from Bama and then get in his way? Example 1 of why we can't have nice things.
See......Awburn

Cabrera is in a tight spot. We have champagne taste and a beer budget.

For the results that everyone wants you need a war chest. I actually think the $2.5M matching program was a step in the right direction to build a larger donor base. Is it easier to go after 100 donors for $1M each or 100,000 donors at $1k each? To keep things in perspective we had game day attendance in the 30k range.

FWIW, I think the GTAA wants a cost effective hire while we work on fundraising. Cabrera and Batt's long term goal is to get much more money funneled into the program but it doesn't/can't happen overnight, and overpaying for a new coach while we are already cash-strapped doesn't help the cause. IMO, Batt had his mind set on an outside hire, clean house and start fresh to get the Collins stink off the program. Key's success and support group has now thrown a wrench into all that.
What I don't get with that line of thinking is that Key has demonstrated he's the anti-Collins...in just about every conceivable manner you'd expect from a coach.

Relations with fans, press, players, coaches, practice management, game prep, game management. Everything. Even ööööing wins.

Key doesn't deserve the stench of that dipshit.

You've got dudes rejecting a coach because he wants to pick his staff. LMFAO - I wouldn't HAVE a coach who didn't insist on that!!!

This thread makes me sick to my stomach that some/many/most of you are part of my same fanbase.
Do you seriously think the HC should have total freedom at picking whomever he wants as his assistants with no signoff from the AD? That's crazy. What if the HC hires CGC as his DC? What if he hires his son as the OC? What if he wants to hire a convicted felon? The AD and the school have to have veto power on who the HC wants to hire. Hell you better vet them all for nepotism, criminal record or moral failures or you will look like some podunk college in the boonies. That also includes being able to fire a existing coach who does something stupid.

I don’t have a problem with “cost effective.” I do have a problem if we are doing our coach shopping at Aldi or Dollar Tree.

Cabrera could just put a GTAA donation option of 1%, 10%, 25%, 50% on the GT Foundation donation forms.
he has 2 bil endowment and lots of land/facilities to borrow against.
There's nothing like kicking the can down the road.

Do you seriously think the HC should have total freedom at picking whomever he wants as his assistants with no signoff from the AD? That's crazy. What if the HC hires CGC as his DC? What if he hires his son as the OC? What if he wants to hire a convicted felon? The AD and the school have to have veto power on who the HC wants to hire. Hell you better vet them all for nepotism, criminal record or moral failures or you will look like some podunk college in the boonies. That also includes being able to fire a existing coach who does something stupid.

There's a huge difference between the AD vetoing an incoming coach's staff picks for non-football reasons and vetoing them for football reasons though.

What if you think Chadwell is the guy, then in the interview he makes it clear he is bringing his entire staff, and then you are shocked because you know his defensive staff sucks from top to bottom? Maybe then you realize he isn't ready for P5 football and isn't the guy to manage your program because his focus is on his drinking buddies.

It's possible, but I would question the wisdom of interviewing a head coach whose defensive staff you really think sucks from top to bottom. That's not exactly a good sign.

Back