Official GT Head Coach News Thread

I still think it's Fritz. I think it's terribly unfortunate that it leaked and Fritz has to deal with deflecting the story while preparing for a championship game. I think Suguira's source is legit. You aren't the beat writer for a major publication for many years without having legit sources. As to why that source would be stupid enough to leak is another question.

That said, I selfishly would prefer Fritz get his ass here to get started on the mountain of work ahead of him, but I understand him wanting to get his team to the finish line where he is now and I respect that.

Just how I read the tea leaves. All of this could be wrong or subject to change.

I'm really curious who leaked it. Ken is a good reporter - I don't think he would've published something that didn't come from a solid source.

There are two assumptions being thrown out so far that I feel may be tenuous. Feel free to link to other posted info if I just missed something.

1. Chadwell being turned down due to wanting to bring his staff. Why would we not let a coach choose his staff? That's a pretty standard part of the job. I have a hard time believing that was a determining factor.

2. Frtiz's buyout being $8M. Feels like simple math based on 4 years times $2M. Private school contracts are private. I doubt that it's be the full amount on the employee side. Do we even have other examples of that being the case elsewhere?
1. because it’s bullshit. Do you really believe this?

2. This is also bullshit.

If we do that, the outward appearance is that we got jilted by everyone and settled on Key. Not good. If you were going to hire Key, you do it early to make it look like he’s the one and not the ugly girl that’s a sure lay after you struck out at the bar.

1669734877817.png

I think he took Ken's tweet as gospel and ran with it considering Ken was the one that broke the story about Geoff being fired before everything went down. Somehow this time, I think Ken got fed a purposeful nugget and went with it.
I think Shultz did one of those “AJC Ken was first to report” type articles.

A lot of smoke that Chadwell is going to USF

I hate this saying. A lot of smoke…. KQ said that about Chadwell coming here last week. It’s bullshit. Everything he posts is bullshit. Everything Ken or Schultz posts is bullshit too. Their job is to sell subscriptions and get your clicks and they’re doing a good job of that by spewing bullshit. All of them.

What I don't get with that line of thinking is that Key has demonstrated he's the anti-Collins...in just about every conceivable manner you'd expect from a coach.

Relations with fans, press, players, coaches, practice management, game prep, game management. Everything. Even ööööing wins.

Key doesn't deserve the stench of that dipshit.
I agree but I can see him wanting to start fresh and make his own choice, especially if it feels like he is being pressured into making the choice for Key, it is likely very off-putting to him and making him want to hire from outside even more.

Tick tock for Batt. If you don't make a decision by Friday every day you don't decide thereafter introduces dramatically more chaos to the program with the portal open, early signing period open, and no GT coach at the helm to do anything positive about either.
None of those are open yet.

Don't be such a Chicken Little. Key has demonstrated that he has what it takes to coach the team. Give him a shot. I've been saying that since the first couple of weeks he was the interim.

If it doesn't work out, there will be other options to pursue when we have a lot more disposable money to throw at it.
This. Key is a legit candidate in his own right. He has a nice resume from AC to AHC, and now has 8 games of interim HC work to evaluate. He is the right age and has put in the right number of years to move up to a HC job. Why Tech folks insist on demeaning one of our own who has done quite well is utterly beyond me - but they do. That said, Key may not have been first choice for various legit reasons. It is very possible that he will end up being our next HC and it being a very good hire.

If only we knew how many of these jobs end up going to the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choices and end up well for all involved. The fairy tale that the successful HC has to have been the number 1 candidate is just that. In the real world, things are not that binary. In almost every instance, there is a range of qualified candidates, all of whom can be a home run. Unfortunately, only one can be hired, and he may turn out to have been the best of the bunch. We can understand that and be happy, or we can insist on an imaginary binary flavor to it all and be miserable. We all know that Tech fans love to be miserable.

Have you guys not noticed it’s a new name every day? The guys “in the know” are telling you there’s “a lot of smoke”, hyping you up about a potential deal going through and then it doesn’t happen and they say “this is pretty much in line with what I thought like they didn’t just tell you someone was about to be hired and then give you the next guy who has “a lot of smoke”. The smoke is just what the rivals gang blows up our asses. Every guy being interviewed is the next Georgia Tech head coach.

Back