Official GT Head Coach News Thread

I was listening to 680 this morning on the way to work (I know, I know) but Joe Ham made the comment that the administration is trying to force some of the current staff on the new coach. If this is true that is disturbing for several reasons.

1. The meddling before the job is even taken is going to turn off the top candidates. It lines up with what we are hearing about Chadwell.
2. The reason behind not hiring Key much not be looking for a completely fresh start if they are trying to keep some of the prior administration in the building.

I hope this isn't true.

Yeah, if they are trying to force any specific assistants (whether currently on the staff or not) to potential new coaches, that's a really dumb thing to do. I'm OK with stipulating that at least a handful of staff need to be guys with backgrounds in big time college football, but the pick of who those people are should always be up to the coach.

Not disrespecting Key here but who would trust their most likely replacement if things go south? Collins was miserable but surely that was in the back of his mind. Key should not be forced on the new coach. If Key was so necessary he would be hired in the first place.

Hell, also for Key it has to be painful watching this go on. But if the rumors are true and he is leading a coup he isn’t helping Georgia Tech.

Is that really a rumor that's out there? I've only heard the rumor that the big $$ donors want Key and are trying to force him on the new AD. Haven't heard that Key himself is trying to sabotage the search.

If Chadwell gets blown out again in the Championship game, do you still want him? He's been blown out twice this year already so it is definitely possible.

If Chadwell gets blown out again in the Championship game, do you still want him? He's been blown out twice this year already so it is definitely possible.

Easy to get blown out when QB #1 is out with injury. We're lucky to have guys like Pyron on the depth chart.

Depending on how you define it, Key has gotten blown out a few times this year too.

The real question is can we afford all these charter flights to PDK? Can we not just buy them some economy comfort seats on Delta flights? We can cover their luggage fees if they don’t want to.

I know it does happen that interim coaches are retained as position coaches sometimes, but I feel this situation is a lot different than Cadillac's.

Cadillac went 1-2 vs P5 competition as interim, and his one victory was against a sub-.500 Texas A&M, whereas Key went 4-4 with two victories over top 25 teams. Cadillac has only four years of coaching expeirence whereas Key has 18. Cadillac was only a position coach previously, whereas Key was already associate HC.

I just feel that there's a big difference between keeping on an interim coach who was clearly only a bridge to hiring a new HC and keeping on an interim coach who has a signifcant amount of public support from players/donors/fans to be the new HC.

Yeah, I think the AU segment that wanted Cadillac hired as full time HC was pretty small, whereas Key is considered 1a or 1b as a candidate for the Tech job. If he's not hired, I think there will be a mutual desire between him and the new coach for him to find an assistant job elsewhere.

Easy to get blown out when QB #1 is out with injury. We're lucky to have guys like Pyron on the depth chart.

Did the QB play defense, and is the offense totally dependent upon one guy? If there is no one else on the team that can execute the offense at least at a mediocre level, and we know the defense blows chunks....why do you want this guy?

The real question is can we afford all these charter flights to PDK? Can we not just buy them some economy comfort seats on Delta flights? We can cover their luggage fees if they don’t want to.
There were two private flights from Jackson to PDK in the last week
253ACE5D-254A-47DC-B12D-A55066C99B30.png
854EEEBA-23CE-4B66-AED2-04B7D2C2EFC0.png

If we're just spit balling at this point, why not Gus? He's making 2.3 million at UCF plus still getting paid from Auburn. We could get him for 3 mil a year and he's back in a power 5 conference.

Back