Official Option maggots vs No-option maggots Battleground Thread

öööö the SEC!
48f62d1138e3b095acbfe9cebb4e471d682d8080.gifv

I reject the assertion that no one could be a better option coach than Paul Johnson. Johnson's shortcoming was defense and defensive recruiting. Another coach might not be as good at the X's and O's of the offense but could more than make up for it with better defense.

I reject the assertion that no one could be a better option coach than Paul Johnson. Johnson's shortcoming was defense and defensive recruiting. Another coach might not be as good at the X's and O's of the offense but could more than make up for it with better defense.
That and better recruiting. I absolutely believe that the right coach could recruit to an option-based offense.

That and better recruiting. I absolutely believe that the right coach could recruit to an option-based offense.
I've always thought this as well. We're not signing the kids who are surefire NFL prospects no matter what we run, so drop that pipe dream. Our sweet spot was pulling off what we did with Justin Thomas and stealing tweener athletes that factories want, but at positions the kid may not necessarily want to play. UF wants a guy to play safety for them? Maybe he wants to a be a QB like he was in high school. Michigan wants a guy to play TE? Offer him as a WR. UGA wants a kid who played RB in HS to play LB? Offer him the B-back position. Paul Johnson had a proven track record of sending guys to the NFL even with the quirky offense, it was just a matter of finding enough raw athleticism. The wheels only fell off towards the end when PJ was building a top-to-bottom service academy-tier roster, but that was on PJ being a bad recruiter, not the system.

Reactions: eg1
Paul Johnson had a proven track record of sending guys to the NFL even with the quirky offense,
???
Disregard the players like Bebe, Gardner, Dwyer etc who were recruited to an NFL-type offense and played option offense because it changed while they were enrolled.

The only CPJ offensive players I can remember playing in the NFL were Shaq Mason and Stephen Hill. Who are these other "proven track record" of players that I'm missing?

We're not signing the kids who are surefire NFL prospects no matter what we run, so drop that pipe dream.
Not sure what a surefire NFL prospect is, but Gibbs was wanted by a lot of top programs by the time we got to signing day. The first step to recruiting better, is to think that you can recruit better.

???
Disregard the players like Bebe, Gardner, Dwyer etc who were recruited to an NFL-type offense and played option offense because it changed while they were enrolled.

The only CPJ offensive players I can remember playing in the NFL were Shaq Mason and Stephen Hill. Who are these other "proven track record" of players that I'm missing?

...those guys are the proven track record. My point isn't that Johnson signed them, it's that they were able to get to the NFL just fine despite playing in an option offense

Not sure what a surefire NFL prospect is, but Gibbs was wanted by a lot of top programs by the time we got to signing day. The first step to recruiting better, is to think that you can recruit better.
Yeah and I could swear we were able to recruit guys named Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas to GT. I must have dreamt that. But every single person who ever saw Calvin Johnson play HS football knew that kid was a sure-fire NFL player at that point if he didn't get hurt.

Last edited:
...those guys are the proven track record. My point isn't that Johnson signed them, it's that they were able to get to the NFL just fine despite playing in an option offense
Wait...hold on a minute. He recruited TWO offensive NFL players in his 11 years at Tech and that's a proven track record of putting his offensive players in the NFL? WTF?

And holy hell, your argument is weak....Dwyer and Bebe were NFL-type players regardless of the offense. Had Dwyer put down the biscuits, he would have stood a much better chance in the NFL itself.

Yeah and I could swear we were able to recruit guys named Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas to GT. I must have dreamt that....because every single person who ever saw Calvin Johnson play HS football knew that kid was a sure-fire NFL player at that point if he didn't get hurt.
Signing a one-off bluechip every 15 years or so isn't a viable program strategy. Georgia Tech has the stupidest ööööing football fans in the country

Signing a one-off bluechip every 15 years or so isn't a viable program strategy. Georgia Tech has the stupidest ööööing football fans in the country
This is like saying Geoff Collins is responsible for unanimous First Team All-American and Ray Guy Award winning Pressley Harvin III

You're the big cry for being delusional enough to think that signing a Calvin Johnson once every 20 years to flounder with a bunch of also-ran players in an aimless system is the best conceivable program strategy for us
Dude, a Calvin Johnson player only comes along every 20 years or so.

Despite Gailey sucking as a head coach at GT, the cold hard facts are that he brought in more NFL players in 6 seasons as GT head coach than Paul Johnson did in 11. Like 2x or 3x as many. And one of those was CJ...a generational type player.

???

Waller?

Back