Official Option maggots vs No-option maggots Battleground Thread

I don’t even know what is being argued about in this thread anymore. College results, sure fire NFL prospects, recruiting rankings?

At the end of the day, whether you want the triple option back or not, respect the results we had here. Johnson’s results will put him in a unique place in GT lore and it is one that will be viewed favorably.

Is the triple option coming back? No. It did what it did…

3 ACC championship games
1 ACC championship
2 Orange Bowls
1 Orange Bowl Championship

Things ran their course. Maybe you didn’t like where they ended, maybe you felt like they could go on.

As CPJ would say, it is what it is. It’s never as good or as bad as it seems.

No offense in the history of college football is as good as the option. We willingly choose the less optimal offense because we are dumb.

If GT runs any offense beside the option we are proving we don’t want to play big boy football and are instead pandering to the whims of man-children.
The option like all football offenses lives and dies on the dive play and the ability to gain 3 yards between the tackles. It is more one dimensional than people realize. It is impossible to keep defenses honest if you can’t pick up 3 yards on the dive. The OL can’t not pass block—- we never could pass bock. Good defenses just stack the box and take away the dive.

The option is also a slow grind. The plays take too long to develop and are prone to turnovers. It’s not designed to come from behind a deficient of more than 2 TDs.

The option doesn’t work against defenses with elite size and speed. If it did, they would run it in The NFL—they don’t. LSU, Bama, Clemson and Ohio State don’t run the option. They have won NCs recently. The last time an option team won a NC was Osborne over 20 years ago. College football has evolved significantly since then.

Last edited:
I don’t even know what is being argued about in this thread anymore. College results, sure fire NFL prospects, recruiting rankings?

At the end of the day, whether you want the triple option back or not, respect the results we had here. Johnson’s results will put him in a unique place in GT lore and it is one that will be viewed favorably.

3 ACC championship games
1 ACC championship
2 Orange Bowls

Things ran their course. Maybe you didn’t like where they ended, maybe you felt like they could go on.

I don't see how this is an actual discussion/argument. The pro side argument is "look at the results here". The anti side argument seems to be "it's not coming back because I said so."

3 ACC championship games
1 ACC championship
2 Orange Bowls

https://247sports.com/threads/long-term-analytics-trends-on-gt-football.24665/

Chan Gailey was better.

What the CPJ fanboys don't seem to understand is that every offense is designed to succeed. There is no schematic advantage that exists in the TO that doesn't exist in other offenses. Where CPJ excelled was in having savant level in game adjustments and having a disciplined program. In other words, he would've been a good coach running any offense.

As the offensive coordinator, though, he was our Tenuta. The very things that allowed us to be successful would, at times, be exposed going against knowledgeable opponents and we would be stuck having such a limited set of plays to call upon.

Under Gailey, we were pretty much ranked at some point every season. Under CPJ, we were rarely considered Top 25. I do not want to mimic the GSU path (read my previous posts to that effect). I wanted Geoff fired after year 2 (OK really after the Citadel game), but don't get sucked into the false dichotomy of TO or Geoff.

There are hundreds of more capable coaches than our current one that run a multitude of schemes that are all designed to be successful. Pick a coach who would offend soyboys and let's go rebuild the damn program.

I don't see how this is an actual discussion/argument. The pro side argument is "look at the results here". The anti side argument seems to be "it's not coming back because I said so."

Its mostly a plea for acceptance of reality.

It is also not coming back because I said so but because of the actions of the purse holders and the athletic association. I suppose there is some probability they return to it after committing to going away from it and financing the decision to do so but that seems infinitesimal at this point.

This year minus the UNC game was miserably horrific. Don’t recall a single Johnson led team that wouldn’t beat this group. Don’t care if now we are bigger or more athletic. This years team was horribly coached. I still hope that somehow Jeff will find a way to win but there is no excuse at all that he is still the head coach at GT after last year.

AMEN. "With the right personnel, the TO is ööööing awesome!", says the PJ Fan Club. So is EVERY offensive scheme.
Not necessarily. In a normal spread or air raid offense, the defense can counter certain passing or running concepts. In the TO, if ran correctly, the defense will always be wrong.

Not necessarily. In a normal spread or air raid offense, the defense can counter certain passing or running concepts. In the TO, if ran correctly, the defense will always be wrong.

Not necessarily. Discipline and edge speed shuts down the TO more often than not. We saw that time & again when we played good, fast defenses. Look what LSU did to the '08 team or what Iowa did to '09. That Choppin' and Floppin' blocking scheme ended up being very vulnerable to defenses who knew how to jump.

You put 4-5 guys out running routes and at least 1 of them will be wide open every play.

Not necessarily. Discipline and edge speed shuts down the TO more often than not. We saw that time & again when we played good, fast defenses. Look what LSU did to the '08 team or what Iowa did to '09. That Choppin' and Floppin' blocking scheme ended up being very vulnerable to defenses who knew how to jump.

You put 4-5 guys out running routes and at least 1 of them will be wide open every play.
You’re not wrong, but that’s such a weird argument. Yeah, Clemson and post-2016 UGA shut us down, along with other elite defenses. I don’t think that’s the benchmark we should be judging ourselves by. They shut everybody not named Alabama down.

???
Disregard the players like Bebe, Gardner, Dwyer etc who were recruited to an NFL-type offense and played option offense because it changed while they were enrolled.

The only CPJ offensive players I can remember playing in the NFL were Shaq Mason and Stephen Hill. Who are these other "proven track record" of players that I'm missing?
I think the argument is that guys can totally play in the 3O and get to the NFL. Our problem wasn’t that we couldn’t put elite players in a position to succeed in the NFL - it was that we couldn’t recruit them in the first place. I think we proved that guys will still get noticed and drafted playing in an atypical system. We just did a horrible job selling that.

Back