Official Option maggots vs No-option maggots Battleground Thread

What the CPJ fanboys don't seem to understand is that every offense is designed to succeed. There is no schematic advantage that exists in the TO that doesn't exist in other offenses. Where CPJ excelled was in having savant level in game adjustments and having a disciplined program. In other words, he would've been a good coach running any offense.

Absolutely awful take. The discomfort caused by the unconventional nature of the offense along with its clock-chewing abilities were fundamental advantages to the 3O specifically. If CPJ had instead been an obsessive sperg about 80's NFL offensive strategies, he goes 0-11 against UGA.

No, he wasn’t. Their overall records may have been similar, but Gailey proved he was unable to reach elite level, even with elite talent. Johnson struggled to assemble talent, but when he had it, the sky was the limit.

And FWIW, I liked Gailey and thought he was a good coach for us.
Did you read the thread linked?

I think the argument is that guys can totally play in the 3O and get to the NFL. Our problem wasn’t that we couldn’t put elite players in a position to succeed in the NFL - it was that we couldn’t recruit them in the first place. I think we proved that guys will still get noticed and drafted playing in an atypical system. We just did a horrible job selling that.
Thank you for succinctly understanding my point.

Honestly, this thread is Exhibit A on why we'll always be a dumb little ACC fanbase that probably shouldn't even compete in FBS football.

You’re not wrong, but that’s such a weird argument. Yeah, Clemson and post-2016 UGA shut us down, along with other elite defenses. I don’t think that’s the benchmark we should be judging ourselves by. They shut everybody not named Alabama down.
No. Our program goal should be to blow once-a-decade teams off the ball on both lines of scrimmage and win 49-0 just on raw talent. We should go 2-10 until we realize this objective.

You’re not wrong, but that’s such a weird argument. Yeah, Clemson and post-2016 UGA shut us down, along with other elite defenses. I don’t think that’s the benchmark we should be judging ourselves by. They shut everybody not named Alabama down.
It’s not just that they were elite defenses. They’ve been in 7/8 national championships or something like that.

These teams lost to basically Alabama and that’s it over the same stretch of time but somehow it’s so humiliating that we also lost to them.

No, he wasn’t. Their overall records may have been similar, but Gailey proved he was unable to reach elite level, even with elite talent. Johnson struggled to assemble talent, but when he had it, the sky was the limit.

And FWIW, I liked Gailey and thought he was a good coach for us.
Never beat Georgia. Anyone who says he was better is an idiot. My post in this thread was obviously a joke, anyone who didn’t see that is an idiot. Bainbridge Jacket routinely proves himself to be an idiot when it comes to opinions on football.

Never beat Georgia. Anyone who says he was better is an idiot. My post in this thread was obviously a joke, anyone who didn’t see that is an idiot. Bainbridge Jacket routinely proves himself to be an idiot when it comes to opinions on football.

Only a Georgia Tech fan would prefer the guy who went 0-6 against UGA to the guy who went 3-8 against (infinitely better) UGA. Say what you will about BainbridgeJacket, but he's a true dumbass, delusional Georgia Tech Football Fan

Not necessarily. Discipline and edge speed shuts down the TO more often than not. We saw that time & again when we played good, fast defenses. Look what LSU did to the '08 team or what Iowa did to '09. That Choppin' and Floppin' blocking scheme ended up being very vulnerable to defenses who knew how to jump.

You put 4-5 guys out running routes and at least 1 of them will be wide open every play.
No it doesn’t. You can be disciplined all you want and the TO would still cook you. We were new to the option in ‘08 and Iowa was just straight up more talented than us in ‘09. The cut block scheme would work, we just didn’t have fast enough O Line in there at some points.

And no, name any concept and I’ll tell you a coverage scheme that can cover it easily.

Its mostly a plea for acceptance of reality.

It is also not coming back because I said so but because of the actions of the purse holders and the athletic association. I suppose there is some probability they return to it after committing to going away from it and financing the decision to do so but that seems infinitesimal at this point.

I don't know the million dollar donors, so i can't rest an argument on their thoughts. If the last few seasons haven't gotten them to seriously rethink strategy, I'd be surprised though.

No it doesn’t. You can be disciplined all you want and the TO would still cook you. We were new to the option in ‘08 and Iowa was just straight up more talented than us in ‘09. The cut block scheme would work, we just didn’t have fast enough O Line in there at some points.

And no, name any concept and I’ll tell you a coverage scheme that can cover it easily.

BS. solid Ds almost always shut us down. I don't understand your "Iowa was just straight-up more talented than us in '09" statement though. Wasn't the TO supposed to be the Mighty Difference Maker? The Equalizer of Talent Differential? Let's be honest - the '09 Iowa team Defense wasn't better than some of the later Clemson and mutt teams we faced....and the '09 Jackets were more talented than all but one of the later PJ-coached GT teams....yet that cornfed Iowa defense just put the clamps on the 2nd-best-but-probably-most-talented GT team PJ had on the Flats.

If the TO was Divine Perfection as you claim, most teams would run it. There's no perfect scheme. A D with the right scheme/personnel can and will stop all schemes and the TO is no different. It was nice for us at times and at other times it was hideous.

Like every single scheme in football.

CNJ claims that the TO is the best scheme in the history of Earth and unstoppable. That's an asinine claim, which is my argument.

Also, the TO was supposed to be the Talent Equalizer Scheme for us but really it wasn't for the most part. The 2009 team was superior in talent to everyone we played, other than the Iowa defense. The 2014 team was highly talented as well. Take those seasons away (solely for the sake of the argument that the TO is a Difference Making, Talent-Equalizing Scheme) and the TO wasn't much different than any other scheme.

CNJ claims that the TO is the best scheme in the history of Earth and unstoppable. That's an asinine claim, which is my argument.

Also, the TO was supposed to be the Talent Equalizer Scheme for us but really it wasn't for the most part. The 2009 team was superior in talent to everyone we played, other than the Iowa defense. The 2014 team was highly talented as well. Take those seasons away (solely for the sake of the argument that the TO is a Difference Making, Talent-Equalizing Scheme) and the TO wasn't much different than any other scheme.
Yeah, it’s not a magic bullet. The TO looks like öööö with bad players and a bad coach, just like any other system. I loved watching it, but I’d be happy watching any system that was well-coached and took advantage of opponents’ weaknesses.

Disagree strongly with your second part. The 2014 team was talented for GT standards, but pretty average compared to our competition. We beat multiple teams with MUCH more talent than us, and slaughtered several teams who were equal to us on paper. Even 2009 had some top end talent but lacked depth and had some glaring holes.

BS. solid Ds almost always shut us down. I don't understand your "Iowa was just straight-up more talented than us in '09" statement though. Wasn't the TO supposed to be the Mighty Difference Maker? The Equalizer of Talent Differential? Let's be honest - the '09 Iowa team Defense wasn't better than some of the later Clemson and mutt teams we faced....and the '09 Jackets were more talented than all but one of the later PJ-coached GT teams....yet that cornfed Iowa defense just put the clamps on the 2nd-best-but-probably-most-talented GT team PJ had on the Flats.

If the TO was Divine Perfection as you claim, most teams would run it. There's no perfect scheme. A D with the right scheme/personnel can and will stop all schemes and the TO is no different. It was nice for us at times and at other times it was hideous.

Oh really? How many times did we get shut out with PJ? How many times did we struggle on offense? Not too many.

Most teams don’t run it 1) because it’s a very hard system for a coach to learn or 2) it doesn’t reception great, which I don’t disagree with.

Did you read the thread linked?
Link didn’t work for me.

But like I said, I think Gailey was a good coach. He just had an obvious ceiling. We were never going to get a better team than 2006 with a great defense, a star RB, and a generational talent at WR, and he utterly failed when it counted that season.

CCG >>>> CGC, but I don’t think any of us would be excited about 7-5 every year with little hope of doing any better. At least CPJ showed that he could win big games when he had the players.

and here you can see the average GT fan criticizing the 2009 OB performance instead of realizing that team would have gone 6-6 under 99% of college football coaches

"just take away the best seasons that Paul Johnson had and ACTUALLY HE SUCKED LMAO CHECKMATE WE JUST NEED TO OUT-RECRUIT TEXAS BRO"

georgia tech fans are ööööing irredeemable. This fanbase ööööing deserves what it gets. You're all ööööing retarded

Back