Official Option maggots vs No-option maggots Battleground Thread

Again, we had a ton of success in 2 minute drives... I don't know what you're remembering, but it ain't right.

I'm remembering much more failure than success. Refresh my memory. You made the claim, not me so burden of proof is on you.

I recall lots of cringe-tastic 2-min "drives" under PJ and not a ton of success.

Which made sense: We had no sideline-out passes, We didn't have a no-huddle nor hurry-up, etc. When you have to run plays in from the sideline every play, it doesn't make for a very effective 2-min offense.

Conversely, with a lead in the 4th and needing to run out clock, we generally excelled there though I thought we could've run the play clock down into single digits before snapping more often than we did.

You have CPJ amnesia.

‘08
FSU
Miami
UGA

‘09
FSU
VT (added cause it was Top 5 win in BDS for first time in like 50 years)

There’s 4 (*5) within the first 1.5 years of his time here.

Ah. So mostly with Gailey's kids and not many times after '09. Got it, thanks.

I'm remembering much more failure than success. Refresh my memory. You made the claim, not me so burden of proof is on you.

I recall lots of cringe-tastic 2-min "drives" under PJ and not a ton of success.

Which made sense: We had no sideline-out passes, We didn't have a no-huddle nor hurry-up, etc. When you have to run plays in from the sideline every play, it doesn't make for a very effective 2-min offense.

Conversely, with a lead in the 4th and needing to run out clock, we generally excelled there though I thought we could've run the play clock down into single digits before snapping more often than we did.
Again, twice against UGA, FSU in 2015 to get that field goal, FSU in the ACCCG, but the leaky roof defense failed us that game

Not necessarily. Discipline and edge speed shuts down the TO more often than not. We saw that time & again when we played good, fast defenses. Look what LSU did to the '08 team or what Iowa did to '09. That Choppin' and Floppin' blocking scheme ended up being very vulnerable to defenses who knew how to jump.

You put 4-5 guys out running routes and at least 1 of them will be wide open every play.

This take is wrong. We didn't lose to Iowa and LSU because of discipline and edge speed. We lost miserably because they blew us up at the line of scrimmage. We played and beat a lot of fast and disciplined defenses and made them look silly. The defenses that gave us the most problems blew us up in the middle and crashed the mesh point.

Yeah, it’s not a magic bullet. The TO looks like öööö with bad players and a bad coach, just like any other system. I loved watching it, but I’d be happy watching any system that was well-coached and took advantage of opponents’ weaknesses.

Disagree strongly with your second part. The 2014 team was talented for GT standards, but pretty average compared to our competition. We beat multiple teams with MUCH more talent than us, and slaughtered several teams who were equal to us on paper. Even 2009 had some top end talent but lacked depth and had some glaring holes.

Agreed, the take that the 2009 team was more talented that everyone it faced is pretty silly; but the belief of some CGC fanboys. Those CGC fanboys held the belief for a while that Bama's current success is because CGC was there in 2007 or Brent Key was there 2016-2018.

And we also lost to MTSU and struggled to beat Duke, etc. We were very mediocre throughout the CPJ era.
We were 7-4 against Duke under CPJ.

By your standard UGA was 1/2 OT victories away from struggling against CPJ.

We were 7-4 against Duke under CPJ.

By your standard UGA was 1/2 OT victories away from struggling against CPJ.
UGA certainly struggled at home against CPJ, but margin of victory certainly a factor that would differentiate those two comparisons.

This take is wrong. We didn't lose to Iowa and LSU because of discipline and edge speed. We lost miserably because they blew us up at the line of scrimmage. We played and beat a lot of fast and disciplined defenses and made them look silly. The defenses that gave us the most problems blew us up in the middle and crashed the mesh point.

whatever. You're not the one defending the TO as Almighty & Unbeatable so you're off the hook. Your post only gives more credence to the reality that the TO is just another scheme that does well at times but is ultimately beatable.

Like every other scheme. Your buddy @CarsonNewmanJacket has claimed that it is Football Perfection and is the Only Offense On Earth that isn't Defendable. Edge speed, blow up the mesh, what-the-öööö ever. The TO was beatable - thanks for providing more data to that effect.

Again, twice against UGA, FSU in 2015 to get that field goal, FSU in the ACCCG, but the leaky roof defense failed us that game

How twice against UGA? In 2014, when idiot Richt squib kicked it and we moved it exactly one play....a JT QB Keeper lol?! One single play ain't a 2-minute offense.

I know we looked stupid in '09 vs the mutts with our "2-minute offense". 3 sideline bombs and a dropped sideline pass.

2015 FSU: 8 plays....45 yards...3:31???? That's almost a 4-minute offense and we barely had 5 yards/play. We only - ONLY - won in 2015 because Lance Austin ignored ST-doofus PJ, who was screaming at him to take a knee rather than ran the blocked kick back.

FSU-ACCCG??? We lost that game but yes, that was the absolute best 2-minute offensive series in the 11 years of PJ. Of course, like yesterday's Ok St vs ND game....it's a lot easier to do that when you're down 9 points and the opposing D is playing the Prevent D. Which is what FSU was doing when we got the ball, down 2 scores 37-28. But yeah, as FSU'd D laid down, we completed some nice passes. ööööing eyeroll.

Agreed, the take that the 2009 team was more talented that everyone it faced is pretty silly; but the belief of some CGC fanboys. Those CGC fanboys held the belief for a while that Bama's current success is because CGC was there in 2007 or Brent Key was there 2016-2018.

Who did we face in 2009 that was more talented than us? Man, you guys sure like throwing our talent under the bus to lamely further your "PJ is god!" narrative.

whatever. You're not the one defending the TO as Almighty & Unbeatable so you're off the hook. Your post only gives more credence to the reality that the TO is just another scheme that does well at times but is ultimately beatable.

Like every other scheme. Your buddy @CarsonNewmanJacket has claimed that it is Football Perfection and is the Only Offense On Earth that isn't Defendable. Edge speed, blow up the mesh, what-the-öööö ever. The TO was beatable - thanks for providing more data to that effect.
Show me one season where our offense was the reason we were losing, just one

How twice against UGA? In 2014, when idiot Richt squib kicked it and we moved it exactly one play....a JT QB Keeper lol?! One single play ain't a 2-minute offense.

I know we looked stupid in '09 vs the mutts with our "2-minute offense". 3 sideline bombs and a dropped sideline pass.

2015 FSU: 8 plays....45 yards...3:31???? That's almost a 4-minute offense and we barely had 5 yards/play. We only - ONLY - won in 2015 because Lance Austin ignored ST-doofus PJ, who was screaming at him to take a knee rather than ran the blocked kick back.

FSU-ACCCG??? We lost that game but yes, that was the absolute best 2-minute offensive series in the 11 years of PJ. Of course, like yesterday's Ok St vs ND game....it's a lot easier to do that when you're down 9 points and the opposing D is playing the Prevent D. Which is what FSU was doing when we got the ball, down 2 scores 37-28. But yeah, as FSU'd D laid down, we completed some nice passes. ööööing eyeroll.
Ok, so we didn’t have hardly any drives inside of two minutes because we didn’t need them… or we didn’t have the chance… like what’s your point? Your only argument is our defense sucks so therefore the TO sucks

Back