Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

If Deion was open to a new job, among all of the annual HC job openings each year, would GT and our "commitment" to athletics likely be his most attractive opportunity? Of course we'd have to break down any semblance of "academic superiority" if he was in charge of recruiting..... Without that, what would be our best failure excuse?

Amazingly, I can only think of two possibilities of this in the history of our program. Did we get buyouts for Ross or O'Leary?

I still can't believe we paid Oregon State for our current AD.
GT, where coaching careers go to die. It gets even worse when you realize it applies to MBB and baseball too. Seriously, when was the last time we had a coach hired away rather than fire/retire in a revenue generating program?

This is true. However; would he have the talent/skill/ability to beat out a QB, from a bigger school?
Possibly, he had offers from every factory. How much of that was due to who his dad is? Who knows.

Even though it was against FAMU, he put up gaudy numbers last weekend.

29/33 (started 17/17)
323 yards
5 PTDs

Here, yes.
In my mind, Dieon will change schools while his son is playing QB to whatever school will give his son the highest profile. So it would take a school that has an opening and the school that has the highest profile of those schools probably has the leg up.

That could be GT if no higher profile school has an opening.

Can we give this its own thread? Not sure what kind of scoop a radio dude in Jacksonville would have, but come on — let’s get this train rolling.

I know some of you may be tired of “brand” and “swag,” but a move from Collins to Coach Prime would be like jumping from a Prius to a Ferrari in that department.

It would be a good hire but it will never happen.

Deion appears to be hiring all the right coaches down at J State as well.. several of them former NFL coaches... even if we can't get him we should dam sure try.. of course our AD is probably off picking his nose at a track meet or something

:facepalm:

Deion is not taking a job at an academic school. Period. Ever.

And if he does, that school will be in the dictionary as an example of the phrase "Stepping Stone."

We don't need a stepping stone HC. We need someone who wants to be here. The only coach we have had in over 40 years who actually wants to be here is our current HC.

So basically, we are ööööed.

People felt the exact same way about our basketball program during the last days Dwayne Morrison. On the broadcast of a Tech at Clemson game, Billy Packer said we were so bad that our coach shouldn't even take time away from recruiting to attend our games. Then, we hired a guy with no experience coaching at a major college, and a few years later we beat North Carolina three times and won the ACC Championship.

So, I am encouraged to hear a rumor that we might hire Deion Sanders. I hope it's true. It would be a sign Tech was serious about winning and committed to football. I think he would recruit and win big, and I think he would stay here, when he got offered jobs at bigger name schools, because I think he would be loyal to the school that gave him a chance to coach a Power Five team.

I also think attendance would go from dismal to packed really quickly. I think we would finally be Atlanta's team again. Yes, it
really would be the biggest transition in the history of college football. I hope it happens in time for him to be our coach against Ole Miss. Deion Sanders could take the players we have right now, win games, and fill the stands. And, he would not need a "get back" guy to keep him off the field.

If Deion was open to a new job, among all of the annual HC job openings each year, would GT and our "commitment" to athletics likely be his most attractive opportunity? Of course we'd have to break down any semblance of "academic superiority" if he was in charge of recruiting..... Without that, what would be our best failure excuse?

On your first point, I agree than CDS probably doesn't want to come here. But if he does, we should grab him.

On the second point, Stanford doesn't complain about academics when it comes to sports. We shouldn't either.

Pipe dream. The only way to get Neon would be to throw a huge pile of money at him. That's not going to happen. We'll hire another reject that some lower tier school doesn't want to keep. That is the (Tech) way.

Pipe dream. The only way to get Neon would be to throw a huge pile of money at him. That's not going to happen. We'll hire another reject that some lower tier school doesn't want to keep. That is the (Tech) way.
Given the head scratching decisions by the GTAA I feel the same amount of cynicism.
But for Pete's sake can the GTAA make a bold move for once?

On the "Deion wouldn't want to come here" thing: I don't know if he has other, better options (yet). He probably does need one more step into P5 (so yes, a stepping stone) before an FSU or similar will give him a shot... and why couldn't that be us, given his connection to the city?

Disagree. The man is making 300k and living in Jackson, MS. I think 10x the salary and a metro ATL home would appease a 55yr old coach for his first big gig

Disagree. The man is making 300k and living in Jackson, MS. I think 10x the salary and a metro ATL home would appease a 55yr old coach for his first big gig
I think some bigger program, like UT or Oregon (or such), will pony up 3 times what GT can pay. Not those schools exactly, but a mid-top 30 schools will pay him. We are neither. We aren't sniffing the top 30 and we don't have the cash flow to match.

Back