Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

I agree we are likely not doing as well as we could be with bidding for players, but it's not quite as simple as "take the money we pay the coaching staff and pay recruits instead."

Schools still are not allowed to use their own money for NIL, so those deals couldn't come from the AA budget we use to pay the current coaching staff. You'd have to find donors willing to pony up that money.

I have a connection to someone doing NIL deals with a couple major P5 schools and the schools themselves are being very careful about staying at arm's length, at least for now.
I would feel very very confident we could stay at arm's length and transfer donor money from the AA to the players.

Recruiting is about NIL now. Buying players. I guarantee I could do better than the current staff hiring a top end high school coaching staff and then taking the millions we are paying the staff we have now and buying players with those millions. If Collins is making 3 million, I could pay 30 players 100k apiece in NIL money. I think we could get some higher level transfers in here if we were bidding 100K average per player.
This is a very thought-provoking post. It draws attention to perhaps a false corellation between coaching quality and W/L success and postulates that maybe W/L success is less about coaching and more about player quality. Interesting.

I've always thought coaches got too much credit for 10-win seasons and too much blame for 3-win seasons. Except Collins - our 3-win seasons are all his fault. But for Coach Pat, we only win 2 last year (see Duke).

I would feel very very confident we could stay at arm's length and transfer donor money from the AA to the players.

Yes, I agree. I wasn't sure whether we had $3 million per year coming in via donor money but I looked it up and it seems we have well above that, at least as of 2019. I think it would be much tougher to divert already donated money than to facilitate new donations going to players.

This is a very thought-provoking post. It draws attention to perhaps a false corellation between coaching quality and W/L success and postulates that maybe W/L success is less about coaching and more about player quality. Interesting.

I've always thought coaches got too much credit for 10-win seasons and too much blame for 3-win seasons. Except Collins - our 3-win seasons are all his fault. But for Coach Pat, we only win 2 last year (see Duke).

"Guys...if you don't recruit, there is no coach out there that can out-coach recruiting. I don't care who you are."

"The best coach to ever play the game, better be a good recruiter because no coach is going to out-coach players."

"Anyone will tell you our defense is good because it has good players. So spending time on the phone and spending time with people at your house, spending time with people when they come to your campus. You know, I'm not with my family when I'm doing that. My family sacrifices so that I can go and spend time with other people's families so that we have good players."

Just how important is recruiting compared to evaluation and coaching? Well Kirby breaks it down to end his answer on the importance of recruiting.

"It's 25% evaluation, 50% recruiting, and another 25% is going to be coaching, but if you don't recruit, you've got not (sic) chance."

First of all, that’s not true. CPJ loved coaching at Tech. And do you actually believe Geoff wouldn’t fly out the door to go bring the “swag” to Nebraska or some öööö if he was having success?
Second, I don’t need a coach who wants to come here for the rest of their career. I need one who can win. And if he moves on, fine — an elevated program will then lead us to an elevated replacement.
If you don’t believe that, look at a team like Boise St. (Peterson to Harsin). Success breeds success.
Really? So Bill Lewis elevated our football program?

At this point, can’t get any worse than Collins. If Deion can get the blessing from the hill to recruit and offer whoever he wants, then let’s get back to actually caring about football.

I'm starting to come around to y'alls point of view.

I'm stubborn but not stupid - I think you guys are right - Deion would be a blast of fresh air to our program. I'm at the point where I don't think anybody takes Collins seriously - other ACC coaches laugh behind his back (or on camera when he makes colossally bad game time decisions). Curse me if you must but I will never get over the clock management failure that led to losing to the Citadel. That kind of mistake should prevent you from ever being a head coach.

So I'll relent and welcome a transient coach who can put our program back together. What bothers me the most is that our assistant staff (with the possible exception of Thacker) is as good as we have had since Ross was here. I think promoting either Chip Long or Chris Weinke is the best way out of this. And for those of you who question my choice of Weinke, that guy is a HC waiting to happen - if not here, somewhere else and we are going to regret it.

There are maybe 10 current college football coaches that a school would rather have in 2023 over Coach Prime.

The Dabo Sweeny College Football Model of Success: Energetic, likeable coach who can recruit players to play, but understands how to surround himself with coaches who can coach. And Dabo had 0 years of HC experience.

College Football has forever changed with the NIL and Transfer Portal. Coach Prime would be a dream for any cfb program, especially Tech.

There are maybe 10 current college football coaches that a school would rather have in 2023 over Coach Prime.

The Dabo Sweeny College Football Model of Success: Energetic, likeable coach who can recruit players to play, but understands how to surround himself with coaches who can coach. And Dabo had 0 years of HC experience.

College Football has forever changed with the NIL and Transfer Portal. Coach Prime would be a dream for any cfb program, especially Tech.
Lots of programs, from huge to middling, were looking for HCs this off-season not one went for coach prime.

Honestly, he was still an unproven commodity this off-season. He's only had the two seasons/recruiting classes, right? Even hiring after this season would be a bit of a gamble, as to whether that success translates to a higher caliber of competition.

Back