Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Given the head scratching decisions by the GTAA I feel the same amount of cynicism.
But for Pete's sake can the GTAA make a bold move for once?

Not sure the GTAA has an issue with making bold moves.

Hiring CPJ was very bold -- regardless of how you feel about the decision, moving from Gailey's relatively successful conventional pro style offense to the triple option is a clear example of taking a risk to chase success.

Locking up Paul Hewitt with a lifetime contract to ensure he wouldn't get poached was also pretty bold, almost unprecedented. Unfortunately I think almost everyone would agree that didn't work out.

There are a lot of institutional issues which make it difficult for us to succeed (money, the hill, etc.) But for all the bitching about Tech not committing to winning, the GTAA has definitely been trying hard to do what they can within those limitations.

I think some bigger program, like UT or Oregon (or such), will pony up 3 times what GT can pay. Not those schools exactly, but a mid-top 30 schools will pay him. We are neither. We aren't sniffing the top 30 and we don't have the cash flow to match.
You think a mid top 30 school is going to pay Deion Sanders $10m+/year based on 2 years of lower level ball as a HC at JSU? I HIGHLY doubt that. He needs another step in between, that's too big a jump.

I think some bigger program, like UT or Oregon (or such), will pony up 3 times what GT can pay. Not those schools exactly, but a mid-top 30 schools will pay him. We are neither. We aren't sniffing the top 30 and we don't have the cash flow to match.
Very possible. If a higher profile opportunity comes then we cant compete. But why didn't he go to a bigger school last year? Its very possible for us to be the highest profile school interested in taking the chance and giving him full reigns.

I saw a commercial with Dieon and his son. Thats more than Ive seen with our coach. He can make more money here off the field than on. I don't know if that factors in.

I do want to add that if we hire a search firm, everyone at the AA needs to be fired. And we should be suing the search firm we paid last time for malpractice.

Very possible. If a higher profile opportunity comes then we cant compete. But why didn't he go to a bigger school last year? Its very possible for us to be the highest profile school interested in taking the chance and giving him full reigns.

I saw a commercial with Dieon and his son. Thats more than Ive seen with our coach. He can make more money here off the field than on. I don't know if that factors in.

I do want to add that if we hire a search firm, everyone at the AA needs to be fired. And we should be suing the search firm we paid last time for malpractice.
I don't know how but somehow i would think Deion here would help players rake in more NIL as well

As far as money goes, Deion isn't doing this for the money right now. He's already stacked the way it is. Him turning around Jackson State isn't going to put him on the map for P5s as much as turning GT around would.

This not the first or even second rumor of him possibly coming to GT. I'd be curious to know why he wanted to get in touch with GT AD this past winter. If there was any substance to that, it could be tied to how CGC does for the first few games. Would GT would be willing to eat a buyout like that to take a chance on Deion? The payoff could be huge though.

Disagree. The man is making 300k and living in Jackson, MS. I think 10x the salary and a metro ATL home would appease a 55yr old coach for his first big gig

If we are willing to pay him a reasonable amount of money, a likely more attractive program is as well (and, thus, we have no shot). We would have to give an absurd amount that any other program is not willing to, which is not feasible by GT standards. He's likely holding out for F$U but Norvell threw him a curveball with that win over LSU.

If we are willing to pay him a reasonable amount of money, a likely more attractive program is as well (and, thus, we have no shot). We would have to give an absurd amount that any other program is not willing to, which is not feasible by GT standards. He's likely holding out for F$U but Norvell threw him a curveball with that win over LSU.
No. Maybe 5 other programs would be willing to hand the reigns to a HBCU coach with 3 years of experience and have their boosters and AA fully back the decison. Of those schools, not but 1-2 would be located in the south and in a recruiting hotbed such as us.

As far as money goes, Deion isn't doing this for the money right now. He's already stacked the way it is. Him turning around Jackson State isn't going to put him on the map for P5s as much as turning GT around would.

This not the first or even second rumor of him possibly coming to GT. I'd be curious to know why he wanted to get in touch with GT AD this past winter. If there was any substance to that, it could be tied to how CGC does for the first few games. Would GT would be willing to eat a buyout like that to take a chance on Deion? The payoff could be huge though.
Agree, although money is never not part of the equation. The reason for Deion to leave there is to have his son in a higher profile QB situation. Is GT the right fit for him?

Hiring Deion would check some boxes for the DEI people on the Hill.

On a related note, we should schedule a HBCU team for a home game each season. This is a no-brainer considering our location in Atlanta.
Great idea on scheduling HBCU, I think you are correct that not many D1 schools would take a chance on Deion which is a good reason for GT to do it
He would instantly be a boost to recruiting across the entire country but especially in Georgia & the state's that border us.
I see no downside to his being our head coach.

Well, I guess we know what Deion wanted to talk to Todd about now.

Deion as head coach confirmed.

If I were Collins, I'd be looking to hire him as a DC. It's pretty common to start off in fbs as an assistant. I think cpj has 5 coaches who has been a hc at a lower level.

7CF0FC8E-52F5-441F-A455-ABDE626239A4.jpeg

If we can afford him, I think he’d do good things at GT. The man’s a serious competitor, good with people, and embraces a challenge. But I suspect another program in a better cash position might get him before we’re in a position to act.

:facepalm:

Deion is not taking a job at an academic school. Period. Ever.

And if he does, that school will be in the dictionary as an example of the phrase "Stepping Stone."

We don't need a stepping stone HC. We need someone who wants to be here. The only coach we have had in over 40 years who actually wants to be here is our current HC.

So basically, we are ööööed.
Do you actually think Collins would still be here if he averaged ten wins a year his first three years? Every vacancy would have him in the top three. We’re either a stepping stone or the last job before retirement.

On your first point, I agree than CDS probably doesn't want to come here. But if he does, we should grab him.

On the second point, Stanford doesn't complain about academics when it comes to sports. We shouldn't either.

Not saying that we should; just don't think Deion would have an interest in coaching at a place that would have any sort of recruiting disadvantage, even our modest one.

Not saying that we should; just don't think Deion would have an interest in coaching at a place that would have any sort of recruiting disadvantage, even our modest one.
You don’t think Jackson State has recruiting disadvantages? Central Mississippi may be the most miserable destination on earth

Recruiting is about NIL now. Buying players. I guarantee I could do better than the current staff hiring a top end high school coaching staff and then taking the millions we are paying the staff we have now and buying players with those millions. If Collins is making 3 million, I could pay 30 players 100k apiece in NIL money. I think we could get some higher level transfers in here if we were bidding 100K average per player.

Recruiting is about NIL now. Buying players. I guarantee I could do better than the current staff hiring a top end high school coaching staff and then taking the millions we are paying the staff we have now and buying players with those millions. If Collins is making 3 million, I could pay 30 players 100k apiece in NIL money. I think we could get some higher level transfers in here if we were bidding 100K average per player.

I agree we are likely not doing as well as we could be with bidding for players, but it's not quite as simple as "take the money we pay the coaching staff and pay recruits instead."

Schools still are not allowed to use their own money for NIL, so those deals couldn't come from the AA budget we use to pay the current coaching staff. You'd have to find donors willing to pony up that money.

I have a connection to someone doing NIL deals with a couple major P5 schools and the schools themselves are being very careful about staying at arm's length, at least for now.

Back