Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

How bout the other guy in this Aflac commercial.

D7CD054D-3890-4AC3-9F64-A36439C17116.jpeg
But can the duck coach, though?

I'll take the short higher boost now and then build on it when he goes to FSU in three years after making us relevant again.

I've said it on here before but we are basically unknown to high schoolers that don't have a family connection to Tech. We need a boost and we need it now.

How many of our games has it's own thread asking how to watch it on TV? I'm in middle ga and can barely get it on the radio. We need publicity. We need kids watching us and hearing about us. They want to play where they'll be seen. For schools their friends are fans of. Schools that people are talking about. Even when we were winning, it wasn't much better. Deion is getting snoop on TV decked out in Jackson state gear. Some other rapper? to. I don't know who it was but the recruits probably do. Imagine what/who he could get in Atlanta. Sure it might piss off a lot of our old white fan base but we ain't recruiting them and let's face it, if we don't start replacing them with a younger generation of fans we are going to be in even worse shape in 5-10 years. Will mullen or any similar coach help any of those problems? Maybe we can get back to Chan level and win 7-8 games a year but that's about it. If we want to win on the field, we have to change how we play off of it. It's time for a change. Deion is our best chance right now.

Why would "old white dudes" not like Deion? Those are the ones who watched the falcons when Deion played for us. Also, older folks are the ones with money to pay for nicer seats and make large donations so if your intent is to be antagonistic towards the older crowd you're gonna have a bad time.

Why do you think Mullen is capped at 7-8 wins? He did better at MSU than Chan did here, and he started in a far worse spot than Chan did.

Deion will also draw that Atlanta crowd Geoff desperately tried to get with his 404 gimmicks. We have a shot at really being Atlanta’s team with an Atlanta legend at the helm. Being Atlanta’s team isn’t bald middle aged white dudes wearing flat billed 404 hats. We need the Falcons crowd.
The Benz promo for the Louisville game next year just littered with Prime Falcons highlights. Upper deck wont be blocked off for that one.

Why would "old white dudes" not like Deion? Those are the ones who watched the falcons when Deion played for us. Also, older folks are the ones with money to pay for nicer seats and make large donations so if your intent is to be antagonistic towards the older crowd you're gonna have a bad time.

Why do you think Mullen is capped at 7-8 wins? He did better at MSU than Chan did here, and he started in a far worse spot than Chan did.
I'm just saying that he is a little flashy for some of our fans. Lots of younger fans probably wouldn't like him either but I can definitely see the "sit down" crowd not being a fan of primetime.

Sure, maybe the older folks buy nicer seats and make bigger donations. Who's buying their seats and making donations when they start dying off?

I think that one of the few things that a lot of people agree on here is that Tech has to do something unique to compete. Either an unique offense or in this case an unique coach. A normal coach will not out recruit the top 10 teams. They will be playing the same game with less talent. Good for 7-8, maybe 9 wins most years. A coach with a unique offense can scheme around SOME of the deficiencies to make up the talent gap. Probably 7-8, maybe 9 wins most years. Just look at the history of Tech football.

I'm not saying Deion will come in and get us in that top 5 or 6 class that are in the playoffs every year. I'm saying he has the best chance of taking us from a team that ran the triple option or won 3 games a year for 3 or maybe 4 years to a team that high school recruits know and talk about and want to play for in year one. How long will it take for any other coach to do that? Even if they are winning, can they do that? Dabo did it at Clemson but could he at Tech? Tech is not MSU or Florida when it comes to football.

Mullens can't walk into a top 5 recruit in the country's living room day one and say come play for me at Georgia Tech and get that recruit to consider it. Primetime did that at Jackson state.

Sure, maybe the older folks buy nicer seats and make bigger donations. Who's buying their seats and making donations when they start dying off?
The people buying those seats are going to be their children and grandchildren, who grew up around Tech because of those donors and their passion for Tech. There is a clause in most of the endowments that allows for one time passing of their tickets/seats to family as long as they are still holding them. And if the next generation continues that legacy, they will have the same benefit.

I'm just saying that he is a little flashy for some of our fans.
Though not in the 'sit down' group, I'm old enough to be part of the subset that is referenced here. I think you're underestimating the older folks. They've lived through enough Tech football, and have great memories, to crave returning to winning times by any 'legal' means. They've also been following the NBA/NFL and have already been exposed to the culture. It might not be our thing, but we see it and understand that it is the way of today's sports.

As for Deion, he's in his mid-50's, which is closer in age to the donors than the younger generation. He just doesn't act like it, which isn't a bad thing. Hell, most of us can relate to Snoop (and how he's evolved) and were probably listening to his music before some of you were born. The problem some of the (older) donors are questioning is how would his hiring affect their closer access to the team. They've had the same issue with other coached. That's not a Deion thing unless he makes it one. J Batt will have a big say in that.

On the hiring side, I get the appeal of Deion, but I'm not 100% behind the hiring/pursuit. My concern lies in his meteoric rise without adversity. How does he handle that? He hasn't been coaching that long and hasn't experienced it. Maybe he won't have to, but will he crash and burn when his athletes are playing against teams that have similar skill and coaching? We just experienced a hype/culture change that has destroyed our program and set our fan base against itself. Even with the President's backing and support, there is only so much that can be done to get some of these athletes here. How does he handle that when he is told 'no' about some of them? And even if he is successful, does he stay to build a dynasty, or does he bail to the next big thing (which is what he would be doing to JSU if he accepts any job)?

Frankly, I find it hard to have a strong positive opinion on any of the aforementioned candidates. I'm trusting our new AD to make the choice and I will support it until it is proven to suck.

On the hiring side, I get the appeal of Deion, but I'm not 100% behind the hiring/pursuit. My concern lies in his meteoric rise without adversity. How does he handle that? He hasn't been coaching that long and hasn't experienced it. Maybe he won't have to, but will he crash and burn when his athletes are playing against teams that have similar skill and coaching? We just experienced a hype/culture change that has destroyed our program and set our fan base against itself. Even with the President's backing and support, there is only so much that can be done to get some of these athletes here. How does he handle that when he is told 'no' about some of them? And even if he is successful, does he stay to build a dynasty, or does he bail to the next big thing (which is what he would be doing to JSU if he accepts any job)?

Frankly, I find it hard to have a strong positive opinion on any of the aforementioned candidates. I'm trusting our new AD to make the choice and I will support it until it is proven to suck.
This is one part that can be a bit more worrisome with Sanders than other coaches. His pluses have been described as recruiting, NIL money and Atlanta football fan interest (the ones that aren't UGA fans I suppose). How much of that would stay at GT when he leaves if it was Sanders' fame that brought them in?

I'm just saying that he is a little flashy for some of our fans. Lots of younger fans probably wouldn't like him either but I can definitely see the "sit down" crowd not being a fan of primetime.

I think that one of the few things that a lot of people agree on here is that Tech has to do something unique to compete. Either an unique offense or in this case an unique coach. A normal coach will not out recruit the top 10 teams. They will be playing the same game with less talent. Good for 7-8, maybe 9 wins most years. A coach with a unique offense can scheme around SOME of the deficiencies to make up the talent gap. Probably 7-8, maybe 9 wins most years. Just look at the history of Tech football.

I'm not saying Deion will come in and get us in that top 5 or 6 class that are in the playoffs every year. I'm saying he has the best chance of taking us from a team that ran the triple option or won 3 games a year for 3 or maybe 4 years to a team that high school recruits know and talk about and want to play for in year one. How long will it take for any other coach to do that? Even if they are winning, can they do that? Dabo did it at Clemson but could he at Tech? Tech is not MSU or Florida when it comes to football.

Mullens can't walk into a top 5 recruit in the country's living room day one and say come play for me at Georgia Tech and get that recruit to consider it. Primetime did that at Jackson state.

Keep in mind, Prime has done it exactly once.

Why do you think Mullen can't bring them to Tech when Mullen has pulled multiple 5* recruits to MSU? We have different challenges than MSU, but we have benefits they don't have. Even if he really couldn't bring them here, he has developed a 3* QB into a 4th round draft pick, number 1 rookie, and pro-bowler. So, getting the 5*s isn't make or break for him. Is getting 5*s going to make or break Deion?

The people buying those seats are going to be their children and grandchildren, who grew up around Tech because of those donors and their passion for Tech. There is a clause in most of the endowments that allows for one time passing of their tickets/seats to family as long as they are still holding them. And IF the next generation continues that legacy, they will have the same benefit.

Though not in the 'sit down' group, I'm old enough to be part of the subset that is referenced here. I think you're underestimating the older folks. They've lived through enough Tech football, and have great memories, to crave returning to winning times by any 'legal' means. They've also been following the NBA/NFL and have already been exposed to the culture. It might not be our thing, but we see it and understand that it is the way of today's sports.

As for Deion, he's in his mid-50's, which is closer in age to the donors than the younger generation. He just doesn't act like it, which isn't a bad thing. Hell, most of us can relate to Snoop (and how he's evolved) and were probably listening to his music before some of you were born. The problem some of the (older) donors are questioning is how would his hiring affect their closer access to the team. They've had the same issue with other coached. That's not a Deion thing unless he makes it one. J Batt will have a big say in that.

In my opinion, counting on their kids and grandkids to continue the same level of support is a big if. Football attendance is down everywhere. We need to increase the fan base and to do that we need to look outside the alumni and their families.

I seemed to have touched a nerve with my old white fan comment(not you specifically). Hell, I'm a 45 year old white man myself. I was mainly referring to the normally older people that ask me to sit down while I'm standing up cheering. I could be wrong but I just don't see them being a fan of primetime and his personality.

You bring up some valid concerns about his coaching and dealing with adversity. In my opinion, we need to change our reputation and need to do it fast.

We need to stop the bleeding of losing fans. Even long time fans are starting to not care anymore.

Recruits have known us as the TO team or the team that wins 3 games since they were in diapers.

All the talk about conferences, we need more to offer than 3 wins and 29,000 fans.

We need a make over and need it now. Hopefully if he does leave for a better job it will be because he was successful here and he would leave a better roster, more fans(sure we would lose some but some would stick around) and we would be relevant again.

Keep in mind, Prime has done it exactly once.

Why do you think Mullen can't bring them to Tech when Mullen has pulled multiple 5* recruits to MSU? We have different challenges than MSU, but we have benefits they don't have. Even if he really couldn't bring them here, he has developed a 3* QB into a 4th round draft pick, number 1 rookie, and pro-bowler. So, getting the 5*s isn't make or break for him. Is getting 5*s going to make or break Deion?
Maybe mullen can but how long would it take? In my opinion we need it fast for reasons listed in my previous post

And even if he is successful, does he stay to build a dynasty, or does he bail to the next big thing (which is what he would be doing to JSU if he accepts any job)?

Given our situation, any coach who is successful here will likely also bail, Deion is not different in that regard. I'll take it, re-establish winning, and it will be easier to follow. I think we are missing the boat that he's also a world class baseball player, so we can get him to coach baseball too -- he can be the first P5 "dual sport" coach, right? I'm sure his ego would love that.

In all seriousness, he's likely only coaching to get his son to the NFL, so I don't think any school will be a lifelong career for him, he's going to want to watch his son play in the pros.

I'm 100% in with choosing him, no matter how long he stays.

Select
Stingtalk_Avatar
,Pro_Deion_Statement
,case
when Pro_Deion_statement = ‘He will energize the program’ then ‘But can he coach’​
when Pro_Deion_statement = ‘He will bring the recruits’ then ‘Can they even get into Tech’​
when Pro_Deion_statement = ‘Hes winning at JSU’ then ‘Thats only FCS, hes only winning with much better recruits’​
when Pro_Deion_statement = ‘He will immediately boost ticket sales’ then ‘But wouldn that be short term.’​
when Pro_Deion_statement = ‘He can be immediately successful’ then ‘But will he stay if he is’​
when Pro_Deion_statement = ‘We need to hire him and surround him with good coaches’ then ‘We cant afford that, our finances are terrible’​
Else ‘Hes not coming here. Hire Mullen.’​
End as Anti_Deion_Statement
from Stingtalk
group by 1,2
order by 1,2;

Back