Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Sanders ain't coming here. Zero chance. People need to just stop with this bull öööö.

Key would be bad. Not as bad as GGC, but bad. Mullen would be worse.

There are soooooooo many better options than any of these guys. Can we afford them? Would they come here? I don't know.
Do you think we should at least pursue him?

Sanders ain't coming here. Zero chance. People need to just stop with this bull öööö.

Key would be bad. Not as bad as GGC, but bad. Mullen would be worse.

There are soooooooo many better options than any of these guys. Can we afford them? Would they come here? I don't know.
On point ! Tech does not need D.S. Here is my wish, J. Batt is another Homer Rice, takes his time to find a new coach that fits our needs. Nothing against Key, but I want him gone with all his assistants. I want Batts to clean house, no remnants of Geoff Collins or any other loser that might fall through the cracks!!

On point ! Tech does not need D.S. Here is my wish, J. Batt is another Homer Rice, takes his time to find a new coach that fits our needs. Nothing against Key, but I want him gone with all his assistants. I want Batts to clean house, no remnants of Geoff Collins or any other loser that might fall through the cracks!!
Yeah I don't like having fans at our game either

I think all coaches at the power 5 level should get $750,000 per win for power 5 wins, $500,000 per win for all other FBS wins and $250,000 per win for wins against FCS schools. Any coach not fired for cause should get an average of their last two years salary as a buyout.

And he managed to recruit a five star recruit to a f'ing HBCU. That still blows my mind.
well all it take$ i$ ju$t a little bit of $weet talking to ¢onvin¢e a talented young man you help him be $ucce$$ful.

@QuadF Let me put it this way, I'm gonna try to explain this without any emotions. We have a saying in Turkish, blowing on yogurt after getting your mouth burned by hot milk. That's what you're doing here. Because Collins came to us as a recruiter and öööö the bed, in your mind we shouldn't hire another recruiter because he will also suck. You're thinking we need to hire and an Xs and Os guy. The problem is eventhough Collins came to us as a recruiter, the guy had fundamentally different ideas about how to manage a team. He had a few good recruits but where it matters the most, the offensive line and quarterback he did not recruit a single guy who would start with our opponents. He was a no name Temple head coach who took a 10 win team and turned them into a 7 win team. We gave him discount coordinators to boot and the result is what we've all seen for the past 4 years.

Deion Sanders has the name recognition not just in this city and this state but nationally. We know he has the name recognition and his own brand to not try to make GT a fake Atlanta brand to try to fool kids into playing here. I'm fairly certain that even if we don't play the NIL game he will recruit better talent here than Geoff Collins has been able to, and if he can bring 2-3 offensive linemen and one great quarterback we're looking at 8 wins in this weak ass conference. Now I will say this. Hiring Deion is a bigger commitment than just hiring Deion. Deion needs to be surrounded with good assistants, good coordinators and we have to play the NIL game. We don't do these things and Deion will be a bust and you will proudly say I told you assholes Deion was öööö. If we're not going to do that then I don't want Deion to be hired either, and I also don't really care what no name Sun Belt coach we hire either. I also don't think Deion will come here to be set up to lose so if we don't make those commitments he won't come here. If you set the limitations you and I and everyone currently sees exist, if we're going to do things at status quo, then we're just hoping to get back to mediocrity we enjoyed under CPJ except for a few good years. That landscape of college football is gone and we're just gonna continue to be miserable as we continue to get pummeled by Clemson and georgia every year and maybe we'll win enough one year to lose to Clemson in the ACCCG.

I would love to also hire a great Xs and Os guy who's also a great recruiter. Those guys all have P5 coaching jobs and if we paid one of those guys $7M-$8M we're gonna scrape the bottom of the barrel for assistants. If we hire Deion at $4M-$5M, we can spend more money on getting great assistants. Then we would have Xs and Os coaches with a great recruiter at the helm. This is a high risk high reward situations and we need to do this to jolt the program back to life because right now we're on life support. People are signing onto stingtalk just to tell us how little they care about football anymore. Another 3 years of obscurity and we won't have money to fire or hire anyone. We're either gonna take a risk with a no-name sunbelt coach who might or might not pan out or we're gonna take a risk and hire Deion Sanders who might or might not pan out. But if he does, sky's the limit. Why not take the bet that pays more?

But anyway, I'm not calling you an idiot or anything. We both want to see Tech do well, we just have different opinions about how to achieve that. I hope we hire Prime Time and I'm right. And if we don't then I hope you're right.

I agree with a lot of what you've got in here. I've tried to be pretty upfront with the acknowledgement that I could be suffering from a bias (recency bias, anecdotal, etc.) against a "recruiter first" coach because of Collins. While I think Deion projects to be a better recruiter than Collins at Tech, I think Collins had better bonifieds in x-and-o proficiency than Deion does (even though we hired Collins as a recruiter-first HC). The main lesson I took from the Collins disaster was that x-and-o skill should be at the top; I think culture is very important as well, and perhaps we may be differing in how much we attribute the disaster to each of those deficiencies in Collins. To those who think it was more culture, there's good evidence - Thacker's defense has changed pretty dramatically. On the other hand, the punting woes seemed to be a coaching issue instead of a culture issue - one that seemed like it should've been obvious from the way Key explained how we were screwing it up schematically.

I think we're both in agreement on what Deion would have to do to achieve success, and what GT will most likely have to spend to achieve success. My main reason for supporting coaches like Jeff Monken is that I don't think GT is willing (or arguably able) to spend to achieve that success with Deion or Mullen. Perhaps a safer/better approach than Jeff Monken would be someone like Todd Monken, or some of the others mentioned but that may be leading off into the weeds. I think Mullen (if we can afford him and his staff) has the highest probability of success and has a rather high ceiling for it. Deion may have a higher ceiling than Mullen, but the odds of achieving it are much lower IMHO. Coupled with where we're at as a fanbase, I view Mullen as the better combination of risk & ceiling, but I can certainly understand the view that there's less to lose so the time to roll the dice is now. I certainly don't think Deion is trash, I just want a longer coaching history so we can better assess the risk.

FTRS has a good write-up on the current state of GTAA finances. The situation isn't good, so hopefully we can improve. While TV is certainly the bulk of the revenue, our ticket sales and donations are abysmal right now. Those have to get better if we're going to compete.

Nick Saban
How bout the other guy in this Aflac commercial.

D7CD054D-3890-4AC3-9F64-A36439C17116.jpeg

Who would increase ticket sales and donations the fastest?

Trump. Do you want a sustained boost to sales and donations or just a short but higher boost? If you want sustained growth then whomever can win.

Trump. Do you want a sustained boost to sales and donations or just a short but higher boost? If you want sustained growth then whomever can win.
I'll take the short higher boost now and then build on it when he goes to FSU in three years after making us relevant again.

I've said it on here before but we are basically unknown to high schoolers that don't have a family connection to Tech. We need a boost and we need it now.

How many of our games has it's own thread asking how to watch it on TV? I'm in middle ga and can barely get it on the radio. We need publicity. We need kids watching us and hearing about us. They want to play where they'll be seen. For schools their friends are fans of. Schools that people are talking about. Even when we were winning, it wasn't much better. Deion is getting snoop on TV decked out in Jackson state gear. Some other rapper? to. I don't know who it was but the recruits probably do. Imagine what/who he could get in Atlanta. Sure it might piss off a lot of our old white fan base but we ain't recruiting them and let's face it, if we don't start replacing them with a younger generation of fans we are going to be in even worse shape in 5-10 years. Will mullen or any similar coach help any of those problems? Maybe we can get back to Chan level and win 7-8 games a year but that's about it. If we want to win on the field, we have to change how we play off of it. It's time for a change. Deion is our best chance right now.

I'll take the short higher boost now and then build on it when he goes to FSU in three years after making us relevant again.

I've said it on here before but we are basically unknown to high schoolers that don't have a family connection to Tech. We need a boost and we need it now.

How many of our games has it's own thread asking how to watch it on TV? I'm in middle ga and can barely get it on the radio. We need publicity. We need kids watching us and hearing about us. They want to play where they'll be seen. For schools their friends are fans of. Schools that people are talking about. Even when we were winning, it wasn't much better. Deion is getting snoop on TV decked out in Jackson state gear. Some other rapper? to. I don't know who it was but the recruits probably do. Imagine what/who he could get in Atlanta. Sure it might piss off a lot of our old white fan base but we ain't recruiting them and let's face it, if we don't start replacing them with a younger generation of fans we are going to be in even worse shape in 5-10 years. Will mullen or any similar coach help any of those problems? Maybe we can get back to Chan level and win 7-8 games a year but that's about it. If we want to win on the field, we have to change how we play off of it. It's time for a change. Deion is our best chance right now.

Deion will also draw that Atlanta crowd Geoff desperately tried to get with his 404 gimmicks. We have a shot at really being Atlanta’s team with an Atlanta legend at the helm. Being Atlanta’s team isn’t bald middle aged white dudes wearing flat billed 404 hats. We need the Falcons crowd.

Back