Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Because out of the "1 in 4 grads is a millionaire" crowd, about .2 in 4 actually know or care that we have a football team.

Your can he coach at a P5 level is a valid concern. I've never denied that. That same concern is true with most of the coaches that will be considered. I don't think we can't afford to hire an established P5 coach away from somewhere he is currently having success. That leaves us with coaches that were at some point successful but we're ran off from their last stop for whatever reason. If Mullen can't succeed at Florida, what makes you think he would do better or as good at Tech?

If we are going with an unproven at the P5 level coach, let's go with one that has the highest potential.
I think if Cabrera is serious, they will find a way

The 'Top' 2017 Coaching Hires:

Jimbo Fisher - Still employed. Massively overrated.
Scott Frost - Ded.
Chip Kelly - Still there, but even with 6-0 this year, still below .500
Kevin Sumlin - Ded
Willie Taggart - Ded
Jeremy Pruitt - Ded
Chad Morris - Ded
Joe Moorehead - Ded
Mario Critobal - Moved "Up" to Miami
Jonathan Smith - Still are Oregon State, but about a .400 win pct.
Matt Luke - Ded
Herm Edwards - Ded

But "Go GEt a SuRE ThiNg!!!"

Here's my thought. Deion knows above all else, he has built HIS name up to mean something. He has a value in just his name. You don't see him out pimping Twinkies, Big Ed's used cars, or some such other garbage. He just recently started promoting AFLAC, along with.................SABAN. No small feat there to even get Saban to agree to share time with Prime. So, if he were to come to Tech, I feel pretty confident he is NOT going to let HIS name be associated with a loser. He would do exactly the opposite of Clown and fix issues, whether skill or coaching. I like what I hear him saying to the players at Jackson St. He talks a straight line of accountability and doesn't seem to take any BS from them. Something we haven't seen here in the last 3+ years. Along with his name recognition, that is going to open many a door that others will not have that luxury.

Problem I worry about is this could go the other way on us. If he ends up not liking the experience here or ends up not being successful, I could see a possibility of him throwing the entire school/program under the bus publicly to save his personal reputation.

To add on, if your confidence is founded on him not wanting to associate his name with a loser, why would he even agree to work at a school that has been losing so much? Sounds more like your logic should dictate him waiting for a better job opening.

Problem I worry about is this could go the other way on us. If he ends up not liking the experience here or ends up not being successful, I could see a possibility of him throwing the entire school/program under the bus publicly to save his personal reputation.
What if he did and the school/program deserved being thrown under the bus?

Who is the "sure thing?" Something like 80% of coaching hires fail within a few years. They are all high risk. Swing for the fences.
Exactly. The “sure thing” proven HC’s (Saban, Dabo, Day, Smart, Riley, Brian Kelly, Harbaugh, Fickell, etc) aren’t leaving their current program for GT. That leaves GT with the same pool of possible candidate’s that Auburn, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Colorado, ASU, etc will be looking at.

Deion
Mullen
Bronco
Chadwell
Wommack
O’Brien
Tyson Helton
Todd Monken
Leopold

As it relates to GT’s chances with the above, I’d say the following:

Deion - 30%
Mullen - 25%
Bronco - 10%
Chadwell - 50%
Wommack - 10%
O’Brien - 25%
Tyson Helton - 15%
Todd Monken - 15%
Leopold - 0%
Key - 50%

The coach who has proven he can win with less talent / develop talent is Brett Bielema. I think he would be a HR hire for GT. That said, I don’t think he comes back down to the SE to coach. I could see Nebraska going ”all in” on him.

Reality is, the only candidate we really know wants the job is Key. I’m sure by Thanksgiving weekend the potential hire will be known.

Since Dodd, hires I thought were good and hires I thought were bad at the time they were announced.

Good: Pepper, Ross, Lewis, O’Leary, Gailey
Bad: Carson, Fulcher, Curry, Johnson and Collins

I was wrong on one good hire (Lewis) and wrong on one bad hire (Johnson). There are no sure things.

Who is the "sure thing?" Something like 80% of coaching hires fail within a few years. They are all high risk. Swing for the fences.
I intimated that there are levels of “sure things”. Deion is probably in the lower 1/3 of these things.

To add on, if your confidence is founded on him not wanting to associate his name with a loser, why would he even agree to work at a school that has been losing so much? Sounds more like your logic should dictate him waiting for a better job opening.

The days of saving our reputation are long gone. We cant get any lower as a football program than we are right now. Two nights ago we had 40 yards of total offense in a half….to the worst team in the ACC…on national television. Coach Prime wont have QBs running out of bounds to end the game, guaranteed.

We heard about it because of primetime - that's not in dispute. What is being speculated is how much is prime vs how much is nil money. For nil money, does it transfer? If prime just brought in the nil money, why can't gt with it's "1 in 4 grads is a millionaire" bring in more?

I'm not dismissive of his other attributes, but perhaps where we disagree is the importance of actual coaching. I think 3 years of Collins is enough to prove how much good coaching has to accompany good recruiting, yet there's a strange lack of regard for the most important duty of the hc position.

Collins wasnt a good recuiter. Nor does Collins have “swagg” or anything else to bring to a school other than cringe. There are 0 legit comparisons to him and Deion.

Collins wasnt a good recuiter. Nor does Collins have “swagg”. There are 0 legit comparisons to him and Deion.

They'll have the same amount of experience as a head coach when hired. Different outcomes but also different situations.

Also are you trying to say we should hire Sanders cause because he has "swagg"? Cause that sounds like the kind of Collins-esque statement that leads people to make this comparison.

Since Dodd, hires I thought were good and hires I thought were bad at the time they were announced.

I was wrong on one good hire (Lewis) and wrong on one bad hire (Johnson). There are no sure things.
Can’t believe you didn’t think PJ was a good hire, you idiot. Totally kidding. I thought Collins was a good hire at the time so I’m a bigger idiot.

Exactly. The “sure thing” proven HC’s (Saban, Dabo, Day, Smart, Riley, Brian Kelly, Harbaugh, Fickell, etc) aren’t leaving their current program for GT. That leaves GT with the same pool of possible candidate’s that Auburn, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Colorado, ASU, etc will be looking at.

Deion
Mullen
Bronco
Chadwell
Wommack
O’Brien
Tyson Helton
Todd Monken
Leopold

As it relates to GT’s chances with the above, I’d say the following:

Deion - 30%
Mullen - 25%
Bronco - 10%
Chadwell - 50%
Wommack - 10%
O’Brien - 25%
Tyson Helton - 15%
Todd Monken - 15%
Leopold - 0%
Key - 50%

The coach who has proven he can win with less talent / develop talent is Brett Bielema. I think he would be a HR hire for GT. That said, I don’t think he comes back down to the SE to coach. I could see Nebraska going ”all in” on him.

Reality is, the only candidate we really know wants the job is Key. I’m sure by Thanksgiving weekend the potential hire will be known.
Key if Cabrera was just blowing smoke up our asses.
Deion if Cabrera is going all in.
O'Brien if Cabrera and new AD are just lazy.
So my guess is Chadwell.

You seem to have fairly good intuition. If a HC announcement is made tomorrow who's good, who's bad?

Key
Sanders
Mullen

1. I don’t know if Prime will be better than Mullen in the long run. I’d say he would give GT a short term boost from a recruiting and fan interest level. I think Prime could assemble a better overall staff based on his contacts. As far as beating Top 10 teams, you need to temper the expectations a little. First goal regardless of who the new HC is should be getting to 6-6. Becoming a consistent Top 25 program should be the long term goal. With that would come chances to beat Top 10 teams.

2. You need to provide your definition of “great” when it comes to recruiting classes. The only programs I can think of over the CFP era who can lay claim to that are Alabama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio State and Oklahoma. And what do they all have in common? Multiple CFP appearances, and outside of OU, NC’s.

It‘s fine if you want to dispute his recruiting efforts at UF based on the talent pool and resources he had. As I pointed out, numerous recruiting analysts and Mods had already voiced their concerns well before he was let go last season. At MSU his classes ranked as follows per Rivals.com:

2009 - 25
2010 - 38
2011 - 44
2012 - 30
2013 - 26
2014 - 37
2015 - 16
2016 - 34

So Mullen finished with 2 Top 25 classes, one of which was the transition class he inherited when he was hired post Sylvester Croom in 2009. The other was in 2015. So that’s not consistently getting Top 25 classes. Joe Morehead who lasted 3 recruiting cycles had 2 Top 25 classes (25, 23).

3. As far as your MSU to GT question, I think MSU has more resources vs GT. And in 2022, MSU is a better program based on the last 5 years on the field. MSU has the SEC $$$ and a much easier recruiting pool. They can take JUCO players without worrying about getting accepted. The Pirate’s 1st 3 classes were 26, 26, 16. MSU currently sits at #30. If GT truly invests in the football program they could reverse that. It should be much easier to win an average of 8 games a year in the ACC Coastal vs. the SEC West.

4. My point with the “other school” relates to the disparity between UGA’s fan base vs. GT’s. Ole Miss and MSU are pretty much on equal footing in the state of Mississippi.

1. Agreed

2. While I should've more accurately said top 30 consistently, the point is that he took a crummy MSU to that point. Look at where msu was before mullen. The same way you point to what uf pulled in before mullen. Except despite the reports and concerns, he kept uf very well ranked. If you want get into the weeds of whether his replacement sucks or his classes were overrated we can, but the extent of your point has to be more than rumors.

3. Could be. They were bottom of the sec when mullen took over. If they're killing it with revenue now as a result of his success then that's forcing the scales a bit.

4. I got your point, but theure both a state over from Auburn and bama. So I'm not sure how much the comparison between uga and gt works.

"Deion isn't coming here. We have a new AD that needs to make a more sure-thing pick than Deion..."

This is Georgie Tech, there are no sure things.

Back