Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

If we are his only P5 offer, he will certainly come here.
He had an interview on 60 minutes recently where he said multiple P5 schools had already called him and that he would be dumb to not take a look at offers.

That being said, Coach Prime is not coming here.

1B7EE085-FBA4-4EF5-865D-7D920E877B76.gif

44, 53, 28, 43. Not exactly crushing it.

You can't have it both ways. If UF is a lock for good recruiting because of the school and regardless of the coach why is coach prime going to suddenly up-end GT's relatively consistent recruiting rankings?

And that is just lazy reporting . Look at his recruiting at MSU. MSU's recruiting rankings before Mullen looks a lot like GTs now and Mullen was able to get into a consistent top-25. He didn't turn them into UF overnight, but he was able to improve it substantially over his tenure. He also has a proven history of developing QBs and has put 4 into NFL.
I never said coach Prime would automatically get Top 20 classes. The school eliminates a pool of players from the start in that regard. But I will say Prime and his staff would do better than Mullen on the recruiting trail.

Lazy reporting? So 2 recruiting analysts along with UF’s own Mods detailed out Mullen’s lack of recruiting prowess, yet that’s lazy reporting? Mullen was actively pursuing an NFL job after the 2020 season. That didn’t sit well with the school or booster’s.

And for as much as people like to point out his time at Mississippi State, he had 2 9 win seasons (2010, 2015) and 1 10 win season (2014). Otherwise it was a lot of 6-8 win seasons. To his credit he only had 2 losing seasons.

Mullen is a quality HC, but he’s not the right fit for GT. He’s never coached at a school with self imposed academic limitations, along with being the “other school“ in-state. Plus, by all accounts he’s in no rush to get back into coaching. From what he said this week on ESPNU‘s “Full Ride” he’s enjoying being able to golf during the week when he wants.

The other aspect that no one knows has to do with his buy-out. Is there any limitation on if he voids the $$$ from UF if he takes another job? He’s got it made right now.

I never said coach Prime would automatically get Top 20 classes. The school eliminates a pool of players from the start in that regard. But I will say Prime and his staff would do better than Mullen on the recruiting trail.

If you think coming to a school in GT with a lot more disadvantages that he will produce anything except Top 40-50 classes annually, that’s on you.

I didn't accuse you of such a detailed position, but my questions remain:
Why do you think Prime will be better than Mullen? Why do you think Prime will improve our recruiting better than other candidates? What do you think is a realistic recruiting ranking and in what time-frame? And why do you think Prime is capable of coaching players to beat top-10 teams more than the alternatives?

Lazy reporting? So 2 recruiting analysts along with UF’s own Mods detailed out Mullen’s lack of recruiting prowess, yet that’s lazy reporting? Mullen was actively pursuing an NFL job after the 2020 season. That didn’t sit well with the school or booster’s.

Where's the quantified impact on recruiting? If he's "lazy" how is he pulling in great classes everywhere he goes?

And for as much as people like to point out his time at Mississippi State, he had 2 9 win seasons (2010, 2015) and 1 10 win season (2014). Otherwise it was a lot of 6-8 win seasons. To his credit he only had 2 losing seasons.

Mullen is a quality HC, but he’s not the right fit for GT. He’s never coached at a school with self imposed academic limitations, along with being the “other school“ in-state.

That doesn't sound like too bad of a record considering where MSU was before he got there. His record there is better than Gailey and CPJ. MSU is the "other state" in the SEC. He only had 2 seasons under 6 wins, and 1 was his first season. They're generally considered bottom 1/3 of their conference, and yet he managed to take them to the OB. He was able to get top-25 classes pretty consistently. Don't you think we're a better program with more resources than MSU?

Plus, by all accounts he’s in no rush to get back into coaching. From what he said this week on ESPNU‘s “Full Ride” he’s enjoying being able to golf during the week when he wants.

The other aspect that no one knows has to do with his buy-out. Is there any limitation on if he voids the $$$ from UF if he takes another job? He’s got it made right now.

Fair points on the buyout and desire to coach. If his heart's not in it, he's not a fit for us. I'm sure the buyout clause would be looked at to see if that changes anything, but presumptions about the contract shouldn't be an automatic disqualifier.

Chadwell's a better HC than GC (so are you, for that matter) but in terms of name recognition? How good is Chadwell without Grayson McCall, whose presence has coincided with Coastal's sudden rise to decency?

I agree - Chadwell wouldn't be a bad hire on paper but hopefully we can go with Plan A.
That’s a fair question, but Coastal ain’t his first rodeo. He took over a garbage program at North Greenville used to winning a couple games a year, won 11 in just his third season. Same thing at Charleston Southern. It was a crappy FCS program that had gone 0-11 only a year before he took over, and he won 10, 8, 10, and 7. He took them to the FCS playoffs twice - the only 2 playoff trips in the 30+ year school history.

What he’s done at Coastal is CPJ-at-Navy level miraculous. It’s definitely a risk to assume that will translate to the P5 level, but I really like what I see - a winning program that plays an exciting brand of football.

@QuadF do you realize JSU had better attendance the last 2 years than we did? That's insane to think about

@QuadF

First off, Dan Mullen, whom Ive met several times by the way, is a good football coach, and an outstanding offensive coordinator. There’s that.

Every argument you have made in this entire thread about Deion lacking coaching experience and unproven is looking through college football lenses of days gone by. You make clear and valid arguments, if we were living in the year 2019. But you cant think of that version of college football anymore. That ship is long gone and the NIL and Transfer Portal are here to stay.

“Proven” coaches have 0 experience with NIL Money and Transfer Portal. And if those two things are now are the forefront of college football, there isnt a coach out there that we would want at Tech over Coach Prime.

I'm in the boat now. We are gonna have to have lights out recruiting now. We had the lowest attendence at BDS since the 1980's at our last TWO home games. We are teetering.

We had the lowest attendence at BDS since the 1980's at our last TWO home games. We are teetering.

Deion would certainly give (at least a short term) boost to attendance more so than any other realistic candidate. For a GTAA that needs $$$ much better ticket sales would certainly help. Is it a consideration?

I still think that it is unlikely that Deion would come here unless some things really have changed due to Cabrera’s influence on the Hill.

Deion would certainly give (at least a short term) boost to attendance more so than any other realistic candidate. For a GTAA that needs $$$ much better ticket sales would certainly help. Is it a consideration?

I still think that it is unlikely that Deion would come here unless some things really have changed due to Cabrera’s influence on the Hill.
You should bet the Vegas odds then asshole

Nice money where your mouth is.. I thought that'd already been shown but you win if not

If your referencing the post from @CarsonNewmanJacket earlier, it was a list from a site with affiliate links. Sports book/DraftKings/5 dimes don’t have one that I can see.

I think that Deion would take the job if offered. Does the new AD have any history/connection to Deion?

EDIT: no GT mentions here:

Back