Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

I'm just arguing with your we are destined to suck so why hire Deion because he won't succeed argument.

I've never said that we're destined to suck. I said there are larger limitations with the school that do exist and they don't magically go away because of the coach. I think Cabrera can fix some of these, but money is probably the biggest factor that our fanbase needs to fix. If you'd like to go into the details, for a start we're going to have to invest heavily in analyst and recruiting staff. If we want to be top-10, we're gonna have to spend like a top-10. IIRC we currently spend like a top-50. Our biggest rivals, cu & uga, spend massive amounts of money to land recruits. We will need to do that too.

No, those are all great questions that he would need to be able to answer before actually getting hired. But that’s true of most all of our potential hires. As a fan it’s almost impossible to actually know these things beforehand. Judging him and all of his unknowns against other names I’ve heard and their unknowns, I’m optimistic. I definitely think he would bring immediate excitement to the program and would be a great recruiter. I think he would be very appealing to players individually and also to, just as importantly, their moms and dads on the recruiting trail.
The bigger question is what kind of OC/DC position coaches would he bring. I don’t know but that’s been true of most every Tech hire that’s come through.

I agree with a lot of the excitement and think there's a decent case he improves recruiting. I'm not saying we shouldn't even interview him. The biggest questions around coaching are massive unknowns. If he brings in good OC/DC coaches, can he bring in another when the first gets poached? Saban has been incredibly consistent in his success with bama despite going through coordinators, and it's because he develops coaches. Everybody wants someone from the Saban tree because the success of Saban's model is proven so consistently. Deion hasn't developed any coaches and we don't know if he can. He hasn't developed any players and we don't know if he can. So the OC/DC question becomes even more important yet more difficult to answer.

Who would you hire then

Nobody knows if he will be a good coach at the P5 level. Who do you want? Are they a proven coach at the P5 level?

Mullen. Yes, he has been consistently proven as a QB developer and he's a good recruiter at the p5 level.

Deion is high risk/high reward. We are in the perfect position to be the school to take the risk. If he fails we, we have 2-3 more years of losing and we try again. We are already at rock bottom.

Deion will bring talent. Sure he might not out recruit Clemson and the dwags but I'm guessing whoever you want won't either. Deion would bring more talent and do it faster than any other coach I can think of.

He would also get us good press from day one. We wouldn't be the team that won 3 games for the last 3 or maybe 4 years, we would be the team coached by primetime. Tech is an afterthought to high school kids. We have won 3 games or ran the TO since they were older enough to remember watching a game. They would listen if Deion said come play in Atlanta. Other more proven coaches can get things turned around but it will take several years.

Nobody can answer your questions. We don't know who would be on his staff or how good they can coach but based on a small sample size, advantages or not, he is winning the games he is coaching.

List your preferred candidate and I'm sure we can come up with a list of questions for you

The questions are the same ones i have for both. Mullen has proven that he can assemble a staff AND he's a proven recruiter. I'm not trying to be mean, but your entire argument for Deion is that he brings hype & good press which should mean good recruiting. You argue that good recruiting and press alone are justify a high risk of 3 more years of sucking. You haven't even approached the most important questions around actual coaching ability. If someone is a complete unknown regarding their ability to actually coach, their staff becomes far more important as a condition of their employment yet it becomes a greater unknown as well.

Nobody seems willing to put forth an argument that coach prime can actually coach.

Mullen. Yes, he has been consistently proven as a QB developer and he's a good recruiter at the p5 level.

The questions are the same ones i have for both. Mullen has proven that he can assemble a staff AND he's a proven recruiter. I'm not trying to be mean, but your entire argument for Deion is that he brings hype & good press which should mean good recruiting. You argue that good recruiting and press alone are justify a high risk of 3 more years of sucking. You haven't even approached the most important questions around actual coaching ability. If someone is a complete unknown regarding their ability to actually coach, their staff becomes far more important as a condition of their employment yet it becomes a greater unknown as well.

Nobody seems willing to put forth an argument that coach prime can actually coach.
well his record at JSU says he can actually coach... he's managed to bring in ex-NFL coaches into the HBCU program... so not only has he shown he can recruit.. he's shown he can recruit coaches as well...

Good recruiter dan? They ran him out cause of the fact he can't recruit.

Deion wouldn’t put up with the performances we’ve been seeing. He just wouldn’t.

He’s an NFL Hall of Fame legend from Atlanta. He’s grown into a big time leader. I think we’re in a position where we HAVE to offer him the job.

well his record at JSU says he can actually coach... he's managed to bring in ex-NFL coaches into the HBCU program... so not only has he shown he can recruit.. he's shown he can recruit coaches as well...

His not even 2 full years is a proven record? ok...

His not even 2 full years is a proven record? ok...

At some point in their careers, every single successful HC of any sport was right where Deion is now - just getting started and looking to bust out with their next Big Hire.

I think it's worth the gamble to hire him and see what happens. We need an exciting hire like this right now, not a no-name like Chadwell, et al. Look what happened at the last no-name we hired.

Whether or not Chadwell is an actual candidate or not, I'm not sure I'd want to do him, or pretty much any other coach for that matter - the disrespect of putting him in the same "no-name" category as GC. Chadwell is a solid Plan B if the Deion rumors don't pan out.

You love to see it

3FC7A1FC-E3A7-450D-8B87-51E7CDF8D194.png

@QuadF I generally have a similar outlook, but I actually think Deion could be exactly what we need. Yeah, he’s got a hype man personality like CG5, but he’s also very clearly not willing to put up with BS. He seems to hold his players accountable and demand excellence from them. I was at Clemson when Dabo was hired, and people had similar concerns. The winning took a few years, but the whole “feel” of the program changed almost immediately. If someone like Deion could pair his natural leadership abilities with a top-notch coaching staff, he might have the highest ceiling of any coach I remember ever discussing as a possibility at GT.

If we don’t hire Deion and/or aren’t willing to shell out for the resources needed to build a staff as outlined above, I think any hire other than Jamey Chadwell would be a mistake. He’s got that “more with less” ability that CPJ had, only with a modern style that is more attractive to the talented QBs we need to win. Plus, he has won a lot at every stop.

Whether or not Chadwell is an actual candidate or not, I'm not sure I'd want to do him, or pretty much any other coach for that matter - the disrespect of putting him in the same "no-name" category as GC. Chadwell is a solid Plan B if the Deion rumors don't pan out.

Chadwell's a better HC than GC (so are you, for that matter) but in terms of name recognition? How good is Chadwell without Grayson McCall, whose presence has coincided with Coastal's sudden rise to decency?

I agree - Chadwell wouldn't be a bad hire on paper but hopefully we can go with Plan A.

Chadwell's a better HC than GC (so are you, for that matter) but in terms of name recognition? How good is Chadwell without Grayson McCall, whose presence has coincided with Coastal's sudden rise to decency?

I agree - Chadwell wouldn't be a bad hire on paper but hopefully we can go with Plan A.

Plan A is definitely that "extra life" we desperately need to win this. I've seen Chadwell win a lot of games even before McCall. I doubt McCall would've been gone there if Chadwell didn't have a reputation for winning. If Chadwell comes, I hope he brings his QB coach with him (Willie Korn), who recruited McCall and others. But in terms of name recognition, yeah he doesn't hold a candle to Deion for sure, maybe not even as much as any P5 coach because of where he is.

That site doesn't offer betting itself though, and it doesn't seem to say where it got those odds from or list any sports books where you can bet on where Deion will coach next.

It's also riddled with weird phrasing and spelling errors ("furtile recruiting grounds", "brash self-promotors"). Feels like it may just be a site that makes stuff up to attract people and get them to click their affiliate links to actual sports books.

I checked some of the main online sports books and didn't see anything regarding Deion.

Our program is so diminished nationally that we need a splash hire like Deion. I consider him limited risk with huge upsides. There is zero chance he doesn‘t improve the program, and I genuinely believe he has the ceiling to do something special that could quickly put us front and center on the national stage. It’s the perfect time to give him an opportunity.

Back