Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Interesting take on how some in the media are viewing the Deion news:

yahoo sports newsletter

For a program looking for a complete re-brand, this is an absolute home run of a hire. There’s no guarantee Deion will win, but there’s a 100-percent chance that he’s going to make Colorado football relevant, something that hasn’t been the case since Kordell Stewart threw the ball to Michael Westbrook.

Give the Buffs credit for getting in on Deion relatively early, because in a year or so the demand could be out of their reach. And a few other Power 5s might just regret balking at Coach Prime's "luggage."

Interesting take on how some in the media are viewing the Deion news:

yahoo sports newsletter
I don't think this is an accurate take. If Sanders hits a home run, a big school will come in and hire him away. There is no reason for a big school to take a high risk with Sanders when CO has offered to be the petri dish.

CO cannot win - they can only lose. If Sanders flames out, CO loses If he wins out, he gets hired away and CO reverts to the mean.

I don't think this is an accurate take. If Sanders hits a home run, a big school will come in and hire him away. There is no reason for a big school to take a high risk with Sanders when CO has offered to be the petri dish.

CO cannot win - they can only lose. If Sanders flames out, CO loses If he wins out, he gets hired away and CO reverts to the mean.
And he’ll pull all his best players with him if he leaves

Nah, if they win they win. If a school hires him away after a lot of success yes, they will have to hire another coach but they've shown an increase in their commitment to football and changed their reputation in that arena since Tucker left. They'll be a much more appealing job afterwards than before.

I love Deion. The guy is a marketing genius. He has a kid follow him 24/7 to pump out videos which is a great recruiting tool and media grabber. Now he’s gonna bring in a wild staff of his long term around the way boys and a bunch of past their expiration date NFL guys. It’s gonna be a reality TV show and we all know how those end. At the end of the day Deion will have played daddy ball and pumped his son up and the media pressure will be on the NFL for a team to draft him. Then a year later he‘ll be cut on page 3 of the sports page and Deion will be back at the crib with Colorado’s money. It’s gonna be fun watching it though because Deion will manipulate the heck out of the media just like he did with that speech. It won’t work long term because once he starts to lose the high end players will wake up from the rhetoric and realize it’s Boulder, Colorado.

Let's be honest, there's no way the old conservative donors in the south were going to hire a flashy black coach with swag like Prime. Same situation as Auburn
Probably had less to do with any flashiness and more to do with probably needing a similar contract as Colorado that mortgages the AA to his success. It's an enormous risk and I find it hard to fault anyone for balking at it. Something else to add on that; unless Colorado actually has a similar debt situation that we do, it's likely that any negative results from the gamble would hit us harder than it would them.

I think another difference is at Colorado they likely (and possibly correctly) view this as the only way left to them to reach success. The people running and backing GT probably don't have quite as bleak a view of the situation here. We've certainly had a lot more recent success than Colorado and with our more fertile recruiting ground, it's not an insane view.

I doubt he moves again until his son graduates or is drafted. All this feels like a double payday... the $30M from Colorado, but also the added exposure in the PAC-12 to get Shedeur in the NFL.

Tom Brady could show up on this roster and he wouldn't play over Sanders.

After his eligibility is up, then yea. Prime Time may go anywhere or retire.

Probably had less to do with any flashiness and more to do with probably needing a similar contract as Colorado that mortgages the AA to his success. It's an enormous risk and I find it hard to fault anyone for balking at it. Something else to add on that; unless Colorado actually has a similar debt situation that we do, it's likely that any negative results from the gamble would hit us harder than it would them.

I think another difference is at Colorado they likely (and possibly correctly) view this as the only way left to them to reach success. The people running and backing GT probably don't have quite as bleak a view of the situation here. We've certainly had a lot more recent success than Colorado and with our more fertile recruiting ground, it's not an insane view.
I think you're missing my point. Emphasis was more on the race aspect.

Well some because he hired them away from HC jobs to be assistants. This guy was getting looked at by P5 schools for HC and Deion pulled him in as OC:

Probably going to be making some Venables assistant money tho.

Nah, if they win they win. If a school hires him away after a lot of success yes, they will have to hire another coach but they've shown an increase in their commitment to football and changed their reputation in that arena since Tucker left. They'll be a much more appealing job afterwards than before.

Really just depends how quickly he gets hired away. Mel Tucker went 5-7 in one season and bolted. They lost their coach without even really experiencing success. If Deion goes like 4-8 this year and 7-5 the next, then leaves for another job (and a lot of his high profile players leave as well), I don't see Colorado benefiting a great deal from that.

Still, given where their program is at, it's probably worth the risk.

Really just depends how quickly he gets hired away. Mel Tucker went 5-7 in one season and bolted. They lost their coach without even really experiencing success. If Deion goes like 4-8 this year and 7-5 the next, then leaves for another job (and a lot of his high profile players leave as well), I don't see Colorado benefiting a great deal from that.

Still, given where their program is at, it's probably worth the risk.

"where their program is at" is basically the same as "where out program is at" except with about 7000 more asses in the seats per game, the support of the vast majority of the fans in their state, and not playing and recruiting 60 miles from a national juggernaut with extremely low admission standards and more money than God.

Back