Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Oh no, Deion is shaking up that 1-11 team chemistry. OMG, he is telling those players that got the coach that recruited them fired to work hard or go ahead and jump in the portal. How could he? What about their fragile egos? Why is he not ööööing hugging them and telling them how much he loves each and every one of them? How can he do this!!

Oh no, Deion is shaking up that 1-11 team chemistry. OMG, he is telling those players that got the coach that recruited them fired to work hard or go ahead and jump in the portal. How could he? What about their fragile egos? Why is he not ööööing hugging them and telling them how much he loves each and every one of them? How can he do this!!
If you didn't see the improvement in Colorado's team last season you were just refusing to see it.

I don't have a problem with the message he is giving to the kids. The issue is that it really wasn't about the players. He made a self-promoting viral Youtube video about Deion with catchy phrases, like "I'm coming", and used the team as a prop. His introduction to the team didn't need to be about how he is going to clean house of kids who he has never met or seen on the practice field.

At 1-11, chemistry is the least of their worries

they should be nuked and rebuilt from groundzero
Yeah. weird thread here. If we were 1-11, how many players and staff would we be clamoring to retain? Our butts hurt because of the 3 win clown, you’d be able to drive a mack truck thru them at 1-11.

I don't have a problem with the message he is giving to the kids. The issue is that it really wasn't about the players. He made a self-promoting viral Youtube video about Deion with catchy phrases, like "I'm coming", and used the team as a prop. His introduction to the team didn't need to be about how he is going to clean house of kids who he has never met or seen on the practice field.

This is exactly how I felt. I'm not really worried about how it affects the players who are there -- the whole allure of Deion is that he will remake the team with a bunch of 4 and 5 stars via recruiting/the portal.

What I'm worried about is what the way he chose to deliver this message says about how he'll act in the future, when he has his team full of Louis Vuitton luggage in place.

Deion is about Deion. Hes always been a self promoter, and he’s great at it. He has a camera crew following him around everywhere. You can bet there will be a big price tag when he sells the rights to the Coach Prime documentary series.

This ☝☝☝.

This is going to be an absolute, unmitigated disaster IMHO. Which is fine because öööö Colorado, but still. This is the biggest coaching hire gamble of all time... and being done without a clue of how they are going to pay for it. It's like maxing out your credit cards, savings and anything else you can beg, borrow or steal and laying it all on the outcome of a roulette spin. After watching that introductory press conference, he better hope he has a plan to replace the entire team with 4 and 5 star portal transfers that can start on day 1. And even if he does, its gonna be a mess because he hasn't coached a single down as a FBS coach against FBS competition.

Pssst... the other teams have good players and good coaches that their athletic departments paid millions for also. They're gonna find out fast. 2023 opens with TCU.
Colorado 2023 Football Schedule.png

If I had to predict, nothing will be left in Boulder but a smoldering crater and a lot of finger pointing when this thing is done playing out.
Your hatred is noted.

Meanwhile, I see a minimum of a 4-1 and 5-2 start. After that . . . it gets very tough. A murderer's row against four straight teams who are in the top 20 this year . . . and probably next. Three of those are on the road, and Autzen and Rice-Eccles are very loud and very tough places to place. And they finish in ANOTHER tough place, Pullman, for four straight road games to end the season (plus, WaSu is no joke anyway).

An absolutely brutal end of the season schedule.

Glad to see he's wearing a hoodie of his favorite team.
Well there is a small buffalo on there, but the reality is CU isnt going to be bringing the 5 stars to Boulder, they will be coming because of Prime.

Exactly. Even if the "hard work" message is strong and worth buying into the message gets lost in the "Prime Time" messiah complex cult leader style that is delivering it. This kind of stuff can work on an emotional level until you go up against real adversity and you get a reality check. The "Prime Time" cult hasn't had that yet.

Playing with a significant number of FBS caliber players against FCS SWAC competition and winning isn't evidence his approach is going to work when the playing field is level. Whatever group of players he convinces to come to Colorado will be playing real competition against FBS players and FBS coaches. Literally trying to run off your existing team of FBS players is 1) a bad look 2) incredibly presumptuous that you can easily replace them and 3) is daring reality to kick you in the ass.

It's also a colossal mismanagement of expectations. His mouth is already writing a lot of checks without knowing what's in the bank. The one thing TFG did a "good" job with was managing expectations so that he bought himself some time before the Institute realized it was never coming around. Buff fans are being set up for Louis Vuitton expectations right away. Prime Time is bringing those bags with him! Colorado starts 2023 with TCU at TCU and the schedule includes Utah, Oregon, USC, Oregon State and UCLA. All currently top 20 teams. How quickly does the Prime Time praise power hour get old when those Louis Vuitton bags get dragged up and down the field by a few of these teams?

It's either going to be fantastically successful or fantastically disastrous. My guess it's going to be the latter. Either way, it's going to be fun to watch.

I'm on Team Deion. I'm interested in seeing what he can do. I think he really set himself up for a challenge going to a place like Colorado. But then again, with a 12 team playoff and USC and UCLA leaving on the horizon then he may just be playing 4d chess. I don't expect him to turn it around in one season. If he can get to 5 or 6 wins in season one then I'm sold.

I'm on Team Deion. I'm interested in seeing what he can do. I think he really set himself up for a challenge going to a place like Colorado. But then again, with a 12 team playoff and USC and UCLA leaving on the horizon then he may just be playing 4d chess. I don't expect him to turn it around in one season. If he can get to 5 or 6 wins in season one then I'm sold.

Six wins the first season would be a big success I think. Not an easy schedule and presumably there will be huge roster turnover on a team that was already 1-11.

Back