Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Had we hired Deion, we'd be getting every bit the clown show we had with Collins

The more I watch the spectacle, the more I think the "boom or bust" risk with Deion isn't really just about if he can coach, or surround himself with a good team of coaches who CAN. It's also about the gamble of "Is he worth enough to the NCAA that they turn a 180 blind eye to all the rules he's violating - or do they call him to the mat immediately, and then his prized recruits leave (including those he snagged from the transfer portal, who then all become eligible to transfer out with no issues).

I mean, they come down on us for telling a student he was under investigation, so he might not be able to play. They throw the book at Mizzou for...hell, for being Mizzou. And now they're on Harbaugh's case for buying 2 cheeseburgers for recruits who showed up at his door.

I would think Deion can't get away with flaunting the rules, given all the comparables and the press attention he pulls in with every move...but hell, this is the NCAA we're talking about.

Clemson O scored 465/14 = 33.2 ppg in 2022, 352/13 = 27.1 ppg in 2021.

Dabo is a clown football coach.
Sacrifice to save his own ass. Some head coaches get too loyal to their assistant coaches. We have experienced that.

Clemson O scored 465/14 = 33.2 ppg in 2022, 352/13 = 27.1 ppg in 2021.

Dabo is a clown football coach.
They're upgrading to Garrett Riley from TCU.

Report: Clemson to hire TCU's Riley as OC after firing Streeter

See below 2020-21 financials comparing the athletic programs of GT to Colorado along with rankings versus other Public FBS schools....Note the $40M gap in Operating Revenue and how we spent about $20M more than them while breaking even and they lost $17M. GT spent $7.5M on football coaches while Colorado spent $7.3M. Sourced info from https://www.sportico.com/business/c...finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/. Endowment info sourced from Wikipedia.

Admittedly, GT had deficits around $17M combined for the previous 3 years while Colorado roughly broke even over the same time period. Also, note that Colorado provides ~$8.5M of direct support from the school while GT provides ~$2.0-2.5M direct support from the school. GT also seems to pay a lot for athletic facilities compared to other schools.

1673681144930.png

Additionally, GT has a very high expense for Athletic Facilities relative to other schools (~$4.5M per year higher than UGA) and also has a very high Misc - Non-Sport Specific Revenue item which is very comparable to UGA's which makes me think it must be the Hope Scholarship, but there is no way to tell.

See below 2020-21 financials comparing the athletic programs of GT to Colorado along with rankings versus other Public FBS schools....Note the $40M gap in Operating Revenue and how we spent about $20M more than them while breaking even and they lost $17M. GT spent $7.5M on football coaches while Colorado spent $7.3M. Sourced info from https://www.sportico.com/business/c...finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/. Endowment info sourced from Wikipedia.

Admittedly, GT had deficits around $17M combined for the previous 3 years while Colorado roughly broke even over the same time period. Also, note that Colorado provides ~$8.5M of direct support from the school while GT provides ~$2.0-2.5M direct support from the school. GT also seems to pay a lot for athletic facilities compared to other schools.

1673681144930.png
If it's 20-21, is this the Covid year then? I remember looking at college sport finances and there is a lot of wonkiness everywhere that year.

Back