Paul Johnson will be GT's head coach in 2019

How does this make you feel?

• Total voters
Two of the three good seasons that CPJ has had were with Chan's recruits. Ghan was getting recruiting right. Paul never has.

Chan had one good class and a bunch that were worse than CPJ's average. No one can say for sure whether he was getting anything right or just got lucky. Also, CPJ at least had one great season with his own recruits. Chan had zero.

Ask Miami what good recruiting classes amount to if you can't coach them up. Look at the talent on that 2006 team and tell me the coaching job wasn't borderline criminal that year. Again, respect to Chan for keeping our heads above water for a few years, but there is no reason to believe things were getting better. In fact, he followed up his best season with yet another 7-5, including blowout losses to uga and Fresno State. C'mon, man.

Yea, totes. He was really on the verge of breaking through with an 8 win season. Agreed. Another 2 or 3 seasons and he may have even schemed up an offensive touchdown against Wake Forest.
Johnson has had at least 4 seasons better than anything Gailey would have had. Can you imagine what Johnson would have done if he had Justin Thomas throwing to Calvin Johnson? Gailey managed 0 TDs against Wake Forest.
I have always marveled at how Gailey managed to parlay one impressive season as the Steelers' OC with Kordell Stewart into three head coaching jobs and dozens of years as a pro coordinator.

To be fair, I do think Chan Gailey was an above average coach. Every year we see numerous coaches do much worse with much more talent. An average (or worse) coach would not have made a bowl game every year like Gailey did. Hell, even Johnson has missed a bowl twice and I think he's a great coach.

That said, Gailey was vanilla is just about every way, and that's not gonna be enough at GT. We either need a miracle worker on the recruiting trail, or someone who can consistently outscheme their opponents.

Johnson has had at least 4 seasons better than anything Gailey would have had. Can you imagine what Johnson would have done if he had Justin Thomas throwing to Calvin Johnson? Gailey managed 0 TDs against Wake Forest.

Pick any Johnson offensive unit (even Vad/Tevin sharing year) and we’re a playoff team with the ‘06 defense.

Pick any Johnson offensive unit (even Vad/Tevin sharing year) and we’re a playoff team with the ‘06 defense.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I definitely think our 08, 09, 14, and 16 teams would have been playoff-caliber. We would have been 13-0 going into the playoff in 2014 with that defense.

Atleast he got to play that game with his own recruits not like Paul

You do realize that not only did Paul WIN "that game", even with "Chan's recruits" as you like to say (though it was year 2 for CPJ), that he "got to play that game" twice more in 2012 and 2014. Since this was year #5 and year #7 for CPJ, I'm not sure how it wasn't his "own recruits".

Atleast he got to play that game with his own recruits not like Paul

What? Paul beat UGA with Chans players, won the ACC with Chan’s players, and won the Orange Bowl with his own players. Chan couldn’t score a single touchdown against wake forest with his own players which include the hall of famer. Dafuq you on.

There was a group of vocal jerks that actively undermined and campaigned against Gailey literally from the day he was hired.

There was a group of vocal jerks that actively undermined and campaigned against Gailey literally from the day he was hired.
Why does that seem to happen with every head coach hire, at every school? There's always some group of people who think they're more important than they are, who get annoyed when their suggestions are not taken, and then grouse about it and work against it in following years.

I really enjoy watching Paul Johnson's teams. I watch and realize what a great coach he is.
With a few exceptions, and I mean very few, TECH can play with about any team in the Country.
This year was a bit disappointing considering that if TECH had beaten South Florida, Pittsburgh and
Duke, all of which was possible and tangible we would be in the top ten. That being said, I feel that
Coach Johnson gives true TECH fans hope every year.

I really enjoy watching Paul Johnson's teams. I watch and realize what a great coach he is.
With a few exceptions, and I mean very few, TECH can play with about any team in the Country.
This year was a bit disappointing considering that if TECH had beaten South Florida, Pittsburgh and
Duke, all of which was possible and tangible we would be in the top ten. That being said, I feel that
Coach Johnson gives true TECH fans hope every year.
Well, we aren't in the top ten, we are currently ranked #49. The highest ranked team that we have beaten is Miami, ranked #54. North Carolina and Louisville are 104 and 106, respectively. Don't know where Bowling Green and Alcorn might be listed. Yes, it has been disappointing that we haven't gone undefeated. :lol2:

I'm telling you once CPJ is gone and we land some mediocre coach we will be irrelevant again.

Back