Performance Review - CPJ

Do you terminate CPJ's employment?

• Total voters
We "won" the division twice...one time (2012) was only due to Miami and UNCheat cheating. It's nice and all but that team barely won 7 games and, had these 2 cheating schools not ööööing cheated, we don't lose in the ACCCG.

And how many coaches do you think would lose 3 of 4 to Puke? Have 2 of 3 losing seasons in a row? Miss out on a bowl game 2 of 3 seasons in a row? Blow a 20-pt lead at home to a pretty mediocre team of mutts in 2013? Get destroyed by MTSU at home? Lose to Kansas (St)? Follow up the high of 2014 with the low of 2015? The high of 2016 with the malaise of 2017?

There's only one way to really find out the answer to our questions though.
You didn't answer my question, but I'll answer yours. I think that every single one of the other guys we were considering when we hired CPJ would have done things like you described and worse, and it is very unlikely that he would have achieved the impressive things I described.

There are other coaches out there who could probably win at the level CPJ has, but I don't think we're very likely to hire them. As long as I feel like 2009 or 2014-type seasons are on the horizon, I'm fully supporting CPJ. But if what we saw this year and in 2015 becomes a trend, he's gone.

Is there a point? we are 17-19 the last three years.
Cpj has had high ups and downs: 2 good and 2 bad seasoms in the last 4 years. The aberage isn't where we want to be, but it's not like the bottom has fallen out, even with roof's 2 min d.

We "won" the division twice...one time (2012) was only due to Miami and UNCheat cheating. It's nice and all but that team barely won 7 games and, had these 2 cheating schools not ööööing cheated, we don't lose in the ACCCG.

Did 2014's div title get revoked by the NCAA?

UNC and Miami probably wouldn't have won the division if they hadn't cheated.

We also tied the div in 08

CPJ isn't getting any younger. We need to hire a DC that can be head coach in 2 years. Pay the money so we get a young guy good enough. And yes other sports are expensive and add very little revenue so they may have to suffer to get the money for football - Sorry!!!!!

You didn't answer my question, but I'll answer yours. I think that every single one of the other guys we were considering when we hired CPJ would have done things like you described and worse, and it is very unlikely that he would have achieved the impressive things I described.

There are other coaches out there who could probably win at the level CPJ has, but I don't think we're very likely to hire them. As long as I feel like 2009 or 2014-type seasons are on the horizon, I'm fully supporting CPJ. But if what we saw this year and in 2015 becomes a trend, he's gone.

Your questions were rhetorical, unless you can produce me a list of All Available Coaches in 2007.

I agree with most of your 2nd paragraph, though I think 2015 and 2017 are the trend. Who knows? We'll revisit this again a year from now.

I agree with most of your 2nd paragraph, though I think 2015 and 2017 are the trend. Who knows? We'll revisit this again a year from now.
And I think that's fair. We seem to agree on that.

I was all about firing Chan in 2007 for reasons that are not present now:

1) He had never accomplished anything of note.
2) He was never going to have better players than he had in 2006, with Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice, and multiple NFLers on across both lines. If he didn't beat UGA or win the ACC then, he was never going to do it.

As for CPJ:

1) He has accomplished multiple things of note (winning the ACC, beating UGA multiple times and notching some other big wins.
2) There are plenty of reasons to believe that CPJ can win big again. Our talent, while still mediocre, is about as good as it has been and our recruiting has actually slightly improved. You could even make the argument that, with improved recruiting or some "diamond in the rough" type players (hell, even just a QB that can run and pass), we could win at an extremely high level.

As long as I feel like that is still a realistic possibility, I'm on board. But we have to make some major changes because it's obvious that some things we're doing right now are not working.

This appears to be a terrible year to be coach hunting. There are a ton of high profile openings.

There's a ton of high profile openings every year. But GT is not, nor ever will be, in the market for a high profile coach. These are our markets:

1) Dudes from lower divisions who want to prove themselves for four years before jumping to a football factory,
2) Dudes from the pros who want a place to cool off for half a decade on their way to retirement,
3) The occasionally totally salty/stubborn rare tactical genius with a major chip on his shoulder who wants to prove everybody wrong.

There's your markets. Pick among those.

There's a ton of high profile openings every year. But GT is not, nor ever will be, in the market for a high profile coach. These are our markets:

1) Dudes from lower divisions who want to prove themselves for four years before jumping to a football factory,
2) Dudes from the pros who want a place to cool off for half a decade on their way to retirement,
3) The occasionally totally salty/stubborn rare tactical genius with a major chip on his shoulder who wants to prove everybody wrong.

GT will be in whatever market it chooses to spend money to be in.

2) He was never going to have better players than he had in 2006, with Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice, and multiple NFLers on across both lines. If he didn't beat UGA or win the ACC then, he was never going to do it.

As for CPJ:

1) He has accomplished multiple things of note (winning the ACC, beating UGA multiple times and notching some other big wins.
2) There are plenty of reasons to believe that CPJ can win big again. Our talent, while still mediocre, is about as good as it has been and our recruiting has actually slightly improved. You could even make the argument that, with improved recruiting or some "diamond in the rough" type players (hell, even just a QB that can run and pass), we could win at an extremely high level.

As long as I feel like that is still a realistic possibility, I'm on board. But we have to make some major changes because it's obvious that some things we're doing right now are not working.
Chan also inherited Flunkgate.

Don't you still think we're impacted by high profile openings though?

At any rate, I'd be interested in who you (or anybody else) thinks we could reasonably get should we fire CPJ.

Don't you still think we're impacted by high profile openings though?

At any rate, I'd be interested in who you (or anybody else) thinks we could reasonably get should we fire CPJ.
If he can show improvement next year, Willie Fritz.

But he wouldn’t be my first choice.

As for CPJ:

I do not nor have ever advocated for the return of Gailey. To me, his biggest failings were inability to defeat the mutts and inability to develop a QB. Reggie Ball was arguably worse as a Senior than as a Freshman.

Frankly, it's this development angle that is a bit of a red flag for CPJ too. JT in 2016 was no better than JT in 2014 and TQ absolutely got worse as the year progressed.

We're in overall agreement about the entirety of the situation though so let's hope that he makes the changes necessary to return to upper tier of ACC and kick mutt ass again next year.

2017: F
2008-2017: B+

Throw out our two losing seasons and I give him an A. Unfortunately, it seems there is some downside that comes with the upside.

Random thought... Saban "blames the players" after the Auburn loss rather than the playcalling... much as some say CPJ does. I wonder if any coaches don't?

I didn't say it was a reason to hire another coach. But it certainly mocks the belief that "This is the best we can do". We can find plenty of people to lose like this year, for cheaper. $600,000 per win (1 MILLION per win in 2015) means we're getting ripped off.
Ha! finally, some of you guys are understanding what we're dealing with!

How many coaches do you think could have beaten UGA in Athens 3 out of 5 times in Athens? How many coaches could have won the division 3 times? How many coaches do you think could have beaten Clemson 5 times since 2008?

This past year was embarrassing, as was 2015. If it continues, CPJ is gone. But let's not act like he hasn't accomplished anything of note. I'd wager that there are only a handful of coaches out there that could possibly have matched some of the things I mentioned above.
How much longer?? you johnson protecters also say, he's the best we can get,he's the best for Tech, if we hire another coach that's good he won't stay, a new coach might not be as good! Good grief folks, lets move on to someone that has a few new ideas.

Back