Performance Review - CPJ

Do you terminate CPJ's employment?

• Total voters
How much longer?? you johnson protecters also say, he's the best we can get,he's the best for Tech, if we hire another coach that's good he won't stay, a new coach might not be as good! Good grief folks, lets move on to someone that has a few new ideas.
That's not what people are saying. People are saying that a new coach is significantly more likely to be worse than better. You don't cut Matt Ryan in the hopes that you that you can draft the next Tom Brady.

That's not what people are saying. People are saying that a new coach is significantly more likely to be worse than better. You don't cut Matt Ryan in the hopes that you that you can draft the next Tom Brady.

I think benching Eli Manning is a better reference.

There's a ton of high profile openings every year. But GT is not, nor ever will be, in the market for a high profile coach. These are our markets:

1) Dudes from lower divisions who want to prove themselves for four years before jumping to a football factory,
2) Dudes from the pros who want a place to cool off for half a decade on their way to retirement,
3) The occasionally totally salty/stubborn rare tactical genius with a major chip on his shoulder who wants to prove everybody wrong.

There's your markets. Pick among those.

I know who 2 and 3 are!

Don't you still think we're impacted by high profile openings though?

At any rate, I'd be interested in who you (or anybody else) thinks we could reasonably get should we fire CPJ.
Whoever we get will fail to produce results as good as CPJ without other systemic institutional changes to GT itself.

Whoever we get will fail to produce results as good as CPJ without other systemic institutional changes to GT itself.
Eh, I like Paul and I don't want to see him go, but I don't think he's punching above his weight right now. I think a new coach would do about the same as Paul is right now, but I don't think we'd be winning any ACC titles or games against UGA in the near future if we change coaches.

Tech is a 7.5 win school without any changes on the Hill.

Gotta mention this if we are going to review CPJ's performance because for us it is a significant factor:

For the fifth-straight year, Georgia Tech athletics has posted its highest NCAA Graduation Success Rate ever, with its GSR coming in at 88 percent in the latest data that was released by the NCAA on Wednesday.

Football (82 pct. vs. national average of 75 pct.) and men’s basketball (82 pct. vs. national average of 78 pct.) are among the other Georgia Tech programs that exceed the national average for GSR in their respective sports.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/genrel/...dailydigest&utm_campaign=nov9&utm_content=gsr

Eh, I like Paul and I don't want to see him go, but I don't think he's punching above his weight right now. I think a new coach would do about the same as Paul is right now, but I don't think we'd be winning any ACC titles or games against UGA in the near future if we change coaches.

Tech is a 7.5 win school without any changes on the Hill.
This is true. He's still living on the success of 2009 and 2014. The prospect of repeating those years is absolutely the reason I still support him.

I do not nor have ever advocated for the return of Gailey. To me, his biggest failings were inability to defeat the mutts and inability to develop a QB. Reggie Ball was arguably worse as a Senior than as a Freshman.

Frankly, it's this development angle that is a bit of a red flag for CPJ too. JT in 2016 was no better than JT in 2014 and TQ absolutely got worse as the year progressed.

We're in overall agreement about the entirety of the situation though so let's hope that he makes the changes necessary to return to upper tier of ACC and kick mutt ass again next year.
I disagree that Justin wasn't better in 2016. His passing was more consistent at least with what appeared to be a less stout o line

This is true. He's still living on the success of 2009 and 2014. The prospect of repeating those years is absolutely the reason I still support him.

2014 specifically. Was it great that we finished that well, or a was the season actually a disappointment considering our losses?

2014 specifically. Was it great that we finished that well, or a was the season actually a disappointment considering our losses?

I only look back on 2014 with fond memories. Bad losses happen. Team responded and finished in phenomenal fashion.

Do I terminate his employment? No, not this year. But anything less than 8 wins next year and I do.

I consider last year a pretty good season too. He's had as many good seasons as hes had bad ones. Which is worlds better than the constant mediocrity of his predecessor.

Do you think Clemson loses any sleep over the Pitt loss last year? I doubt it. Given our expectations and the quality of our team I think 2014 went just about as well as it could’ve. Give us Smelter back and I predict an ACC title too.

Pretty simple he wins 8 or more games next year or it’s next man up. In today's environment you can’t have 3 out 4 poor seasons and keep your job to much money being paid to accept that.

We went a long time without a losing regular season. The O’Leary, Gailey, and first seven years of Paul Johnson established our basement as six wins and our ceiling at nine to ten wins in the regular season. After Carson, Fulcher, Pepper, Curry, Ross and Lewis all had us endure losing seasons, I was pleased that the program could avoid losing seasons and enjoy post-season play year after year. Now, we have a three and five win season wrapped around a very good 2016. So, I think there are questions about whether the CPJ regime is losing steam. For me, a third losing season next year would likely make it time to make a change. But, I would not set the bar at eight. Just make sure we don’t have a losing season and miss a bowl in ‘18.

We really should look at trying to schedule GSU and GSU every year. If we could get two home and one away playing at the one in Atlanta would basically be a home game. Plus I hear it's less likely to have a game cancelled due to hurricane especially when 5 of 6 games are in Atlanta.

Back