Pero's Pizza, Junior's Grill, Engineer's Bookstore, the old C&S building....

Not really a Tech icon, but the chicken tender place by the west campus bookstore on 10th and Hemphill was excellent. Don’t remember the name, but maybe started with a B.

OK, who ate at the Yellow Jacket, corner of Luckie and North Ave? Across from what was the Coke Bottling Plant, now the Coke Tower. You had to stand at the place, high top stainless steel bars.

Is the Wreck Room still standing? Good place to catch local bands.

2011-04-21_07-26-19_528.jpg

Very fond memories of Junior's Grill on North Avenue from 1981 until Olympics construction.

First time I went to Juniors, it was breakfast with a group of friends and we had to sit along the back wall on stools and use a very narrow shelf to put our plates on. Place was packed out as usual.... "Over-well, Brooke, with wheat and coffee".... Total was about 88 cents!

For you all that don't know Junior's, that was 2 hard fried eggs, 2 sausage patties, grits with butter, 2 slices of wheat toast with butter and jelly and endless coffee in one of those big ole, heavy, ceramic mugs.

Anne and Tommy were the best and had unbelievable memories. They were always very kind and friendly. And amazingly remembered me, and many other students, too, for years after graduation.

I think I posted this on ST before, but one of my favorite keepsakes from my time @ GT, is a cracked, stained and scarred coffee mug from Juniors. I told Tommy I was getting ready to graduate and that I wanted to buy a coffee mug for a momento. He walks over to the dishwasher and comes back with a brand new mug, still hot from the rinse, as gives it to me as a gift, wouldn't let me pay him for it. I said thanks, but one more request... Could I please have an old cracked, stained and scarred mug, instead of the new one? He said yes, but wanted to know why. I said because it will remind me of all the hard work and tough times at TECH, but also all the good times and friends and the comfort, food and coffee at Junior's. So he brought over a rack of mugs and let me pick one out.

I still have that mug, almost 40 years later, and I use it as a pen and pencil holder.

Good times. Good friends. Good memories.

Go Jackets and God bless!!

Loved Junior's Grill. Miss it. Was my favorite place for lunch when I worked at Tech.
WOW! That's awesome! I had forgotten about the Junior's coupon books! Thanks for sharing that!

Not really a Tech icon, but the chicken tender place by the west campus bookstore on 10th and Hemphill was excellent. Don’t remember the name, but maybe started with a B.
Billy Bob's. However, it replaced the legendary Bash's. Late 80's quad night on Mondays.

Billy Bob's. However, it replaced the legendary Bash's. Late 80's quad night on Mondays.

Bash Rip Rocks, right? Haven't thought about that place in a long time.

With all of the development around Midtown and West Mid, where in the hell do students go for cheap beer any more?

That was it. Tender basket was excellent. Location wasn’t ideal because it was a bit of a walk in the wrong direction to get too. Not nearly as convenient as Juniors. And when Juniors went under Tech Tower and the West Campus Bookstore closed there was no hope for them.

Back