#PITTvsGT Coach Collins Postgame Press Conference

In fairness to Coach, I imagine his breakfast at Waffle House was a particularly sad breakfast this morning.

Once again you are blaming the OC for the fact that our OL cant block anybody. We could not run all day. So then we have a TE trip on a route that would've been a TD, a targeting that got overturned, a pass to McCollum where he was being tackled before the ball got there and no call, a TD called back by a phantom hold, and all of that is our OCs fault. Ok.
No, I am not blaming the OC for the line not being able to block anybody. I am blaming the OC for calling plays that virtually require the OL to block somebody. He knows, or should know, that the line can't for the most part open any holes, so why continue to try to punch it up the gut or run off tackle, two of his favorite red-zone plays. Why not at least try some quick screens from under center where the receiver is not 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage with almost no chance to gain any yards? How about some pitches or (God forbid in his eyes) option plays. If he had half a clue as OC, he would run plays that didn't depend on the OL being an at least efficient blocking unit. But no, he calls plays that depend on the OL doing something they obviously can't do or can't do well.

In case you don't want to watch:
"Spent a lot of time in the locker room explaining why what happened happened"
Why did what happen happen? "Turnovers, points off of turnovers, not converting on 3rd down, not converting on 4th down, getting down 14-0 from the start" "3rd down disparity, red zone and turnovers...not a winning recipe"
"We've gotta be better"(x3)
"I've gotta be better"
"Wasn't our day" (x2)
On officiating: "I'll leave with them and the ACC however they handle that (make amends or whatever they do)...that's not for me to talk about or discuss"
"Give credit to Pittsburgh, they capitalized off our misfortunes"
"Hit the reset button and put the ball down and go to work"
"I love those guys in the locker room" (x3)
"I thought our guys fought, I thought our guys battled, just gotta overcome bad situations and bad circumstances and not put ourselves in those moving forward, but we can still be a really good football team"
"I believe in the leadership in this program and they'll make sure the focus is the right way when we go out to practice on Monday"
"Put this thing to bed and get ready for a good week of work and go on the road and play at a high level against another really good team"

Bravo sir.

I feel like the turnovers being pointed to as the reason we lost is ridiculous. There was no indication that Pitt wasn’t going to score from anywhere on the field.
I think it’s a fair point by him, we need to win the turnover margin to be successful. We were -5 on turnovers yesterday, and also had a FG blocked so call it -6.

I think it’s a fair point by him, we need to win the turnover margin to be successful. We were -5 on turnovers yesterday, and also had a FG blocked so call it -6.

That’s fine and I feel like watching these two teams it’s clear Pitt has a better roster right now and we probably need to be at least +2 in TOs to beat them.

my point is the turnovers had minimal Impact on the defense. In the first half Pitt was scoring at will from wherever.

That’s fine and I feel like watching these two teams it’s clear Pitt has a better roster right now and we probably need to be at least +2 in TOs to beat them.

my point is the turnovers had minimal Impact on the defense. In the first half Pitt was scoring at will from wherever.
Well if our defense created turnovers against Pitt they would have been more successful. We need to create turnovers to win. That was part of his point. We got stops and created points in our first 4 games by out defense stripping the ball; we didnt do that vs pitt.

No, I am not blaming the OC for the line not being able to block anybody. I am blaming the OC for calling plays that virtually require the OL to block somebody. He knows, or should know, that the line can't for the most part open any holes, so why continue to try to punch it up the gut or run off tackle, two of his favorite red-zone plays. Why not at least try some quick screens from under center where the receiver is not 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage with almost no chance to gain any yards? How about some pitches or (God forbid in his eyes) option plays. If he had half a clue as OC, he would run plays that didn't depend on the OL being an at least efficient blocking unit. But no, he calls plays that depend on the OL doing something they obviously can't do or can't do well.
Also, just a couple weeks ago you were bitching that our OC calls "stupid, wasted 1st and 2nd down plays" inside the 10 instead of running the ball. Now you're faulting him for running the ball in short field scenarios. Which is it? You were fussing about the stupid passes and screens then but now that's what we are supposed to be doing? I guess whenever he calls a play and it doesn't work, you just feel smarter saying that he is dumb and should have called the opposite at the time. I am seriously questioning your football knowledge at this point.

Also, just a couple weeks ago you were bitching that our OC calls "stupid, wasted 1st and 2nd down plays" inside the 10 instead of running the ball. Now you're faulting him for running the ball in short field scenarios. Which is it? You were fussing about the stupid passes and screens then but now that's what we are supposed to be doing? I guess whenever he calls a play and it doesn't work, you just feel smarter saying that he is dumb and should have called the opposite at the time. I am seriously questioning your football knowledge at this point.
The stupid 1st and 2nd down plays were always between the two guards, probably the weakest part of the line. The only reason the passes are "stupid" is because it's stupid to be working out of the shotgun in the redzone. My main complaint though is that as many times as we have been in that situation the past 2 years, it's always the same. When is he going to learn that those plays are not going to work with our OL? Why does he always end up calling time out on 3rd down and then come back and either get a penalty or run an ill-conceived play? Why doesn't he actually have a red-zone offense that pretty much knows what to do and gets it done? He has no clue how to be innovative or surprising in situations like that; it's always exactly the same.

The stupid 1st and 2nd down plays were always between the two guards, probably the weakest part of the line. The only reason the passes are "stupid" is because it's stupid to be working out of the shotgun in the redzone. My main complaint though is that as many times as we have been in that situation the past 2 years, it's always the same. When is he going to learn that those plays are not going to work with our OL? Why does he always end up calling time out on 3rd down and then come back and either get a penalty or run an ill-conceived play? Why doesn't he actually have a red-zone offense that pretty much knows what to do and gets it done? He has no clue how to be innovative or surprising in situations like that; it's always exactly the same.
Once again I defer back to the post where I went over every single one of our inside the 10 and red-zone opportunities in the last 2 years and factually debunked that, but OK.

Once again I defer back to the post where I went over every single one of our inside the 10 and red-zone opportunities in the last 2 years and factually debunked that, but OK.

It's not debunked if we're below the national average in TD rate on 1st and Goal, which we are (were at the time of that thread...no idea now).

It's not debunked if we're below the national average in TD rate on 1st and Goal, which we are (were at the time of that thread...no idea now).
I'm not saying we aren't bad there or in the redzone, but he is putting it all on the OC with no accountability anywhere else. Penalties, turnovers, etc.

Yes, you did provide those stats, but the number of failed red-zone attempts keeps growing, and we keep losing games because of them. I don't care how many good ones he ran in the past; most of us are sick and tired of what's happening NOW. Regardless of what he has done in other similar situations, the fact remains that we have lost several games in the last two years because of his ineptitude.

Collins being anything more than a recruiting coordinator is ridiculous. He'll go through GT until we can finally afford to fire him and then off he will go to be some other P5's recruiting coordinator. It sucks we have to experience this to show where his value lies. The coaching on the field is like a bad joke. When has he fooled or out coached anyone....ever?

Collins being anything more than a recruiting coordinator is ridiculous. He'll go through GT until we can finally afford to fire him and then off he will go to be some other P5's recruiting coordinator. It sucks we have to experience this to show where his value lies. The coaching on the field is like a bad joke. When has he fooled or out coached anyone....ever?
Actually the unc game with the change to a 3-5-3 def and change of QB was fresh approach.Also, the fake punt and TD pass vs miami that led to that win. BUT ,er, that's about it for real innovation I think.

When you’re consistently getting 3-4ypc between the tackles, you’re 1st and goal at the 5 and you don’t run between the tackles you’re not smart. If you don‘t select one of your sledgehammer RBs to run between the tackles, you ain’t very smart.

If you’re consistently averaging -1.0 ypc between the tackles and you’re 1st and goal from the 5, and you run between the tackles you’re not smart. If you run the RB between the tackles that falls down on contact if he’s not in the open field, you doubled down on dumb.

That’s kind of how it works. Anything can happen on any play, but if you pick your lowest probability option, you generally have the lowest odds of success.

So it’s stupid to run the ball and stupid to pass the ball. Got it.

Back