#PITTvsGT Coach Collins Postgame Press Conference

Collins being anything more than a recruiting coordinator is ridiculous. He'll go through GT until we can finally afford to fire him and then off he will go to be some other P5's recruiting coordinator. It sucks we have to experience this to show where his value lies. The coaching on the field is like a bad joke. When has he fooled or out coached anyone....ever?
Tell you what, since you seem to be one of those "blame everything on Coaching" kinda Guys, let's try a hypothetical:

Put Saban on GT's Staff as HC for the 6 Months prior to the Pitt Game, and he's not allowed to "Roster Mgmt" anyone off the Team, and he's forced to Coach Up those same 85 scholarship Players that took the Field vs Pitt.......

Do you think the Score is any different?

Do you think our OL Plays perfect and misses no assignments just because Saban is the Guy holding the Whistle at our Practices?

Do you think we win instead of losing?

All Coaches get the same info and strategies at the same Seminars, they put their Players thru the same Drills that everyone else does , and add to that there are so many Assts. that have worked on multiple P5 Staffs --- in effect leading to Tons of "cross-pollination" in the Coaching Profession, all this adds up to "blaming everything on Coaching" just doesn't do enough to explain what is going on with our Guys on Gm Days.

An Athl Director cannot swap out 85 scholarship FB Players, so instead coaches get fired.

On-field coaching during Games might be 5% of what determines which Team wins the Game ( unless there's an outlier of a horrible Coaching Decision).

In 2021, the Game comes down to Recruiting and which Players can perform under Game Pressure.

Bear Bryant didn't spend more money on Chalkboards and scheming fancy plays, instead he did everything he could to stash Players on the Swim Team, Golf Team and any other Team Bama fielded so he wouldn't have to Coach against good players on other Teams.

60 - 70 yrs ago Bear Bryant knew it was all about the Players and Talent you can bring in, it has always been about Players & Recruiting.

Our defense was gassed by the 2nd quarter as a result. Combine that with a lack of DL pass rush and it sucks. We had the same DL line last week but Pitt has a better OL than UNC.

Reading Pitt press coverage before the game, there's been a lot of concern over Pitt's O line because of the Panthers' tepid running game.

For everyone that wants to blame the OC and call PNode incompetent and in over his head, in the Pitt Game our OC was able to scheme these explosion Plays in the Pass Game:

20yds, 24yds, 36yds, 44yds, 71yds (the last 2 went for TDs)

That's 5 explosive Plays out of the Pass Gm with bad OLine Blocking, with better Blocking by our OLine we get another 3 to 5 explosive Plays out of our Pass Game and maybe another 17 points.

For an OC with a Young QB and Young Skill Players , that's an A- or B+ grade for that Game.

If we get any stops on Defense combined with just a "moderate" performance from our OLine that game is a win.

All these "blame the Coach Fans" either don't watch the Games or when they do watch the Games they watch with an agenda in mind regardless of the outcome.

At the end of the day, CGC is now 8-19 at Tech.
Fifteen of those losses are by double digits.
Seven are by 20 points or more.

I am not a fan of particularly any of the staff. Three years into our S&C program and ... I don't know what results it's yielded.
Our special teams have mostly contributed only to our own chaos. We have left turds in the punch bowl of losses with Citadel, Syracuse, Northern Illinois, not to mention the historic beatdowns at the hands of the Mutts and Dabo.
Of the eight wins, the first six came against teams that did not finish that season with a winning record. KSU will. North Carolina might.
However you slice this, there is a long way to go, whether it's better coaching, getting better bag men, whatever.

For everyone that wants to blame the OC and call PNode incompetent and in over his head, in the Pitt Game our OC was able to scheme these explosion Plays in the Pass Game:

That's 5 explosive Plays out of the Pass Gm with bad OLine Blocking, with better Blocking by our OLine we get another 3 to 5 explosive Plays out of our Pass Game and maybe another 17 points.

For an OC with a Young QB and Young Skill Players , that's an A- or B+ grade for that Game.

If we get any stops on Defense combined with just a "moderate" performance from our OLine that game is a win.

All these "blame the Coach Fans" either don't watch the Games or when they do watch the Games they watch with an agenda in mind regardless of the outcome.
I like your posts but you are wrong on this. We ran 64 offensive plays not counting punts and you bring up 5. I could randomly throw darts at a play sheet and call plays that work on 5 out of 64. Besides, no one is arguing about those plays. We should have been running those type all game. But it’s almost like Patenaude has been told to run a handoff up the middle 1 of every 3 plays.

Below is a list of our offensive plays. The pass was working. The run was not yet Patenaude kept calling runs. See below for proof.

Here’s our offensive plays:
1- Sims 23 yard run (beautifully designed)
2- interception
3- Gibbs 1 yard run
4- interception
5- pass to Gibbs for 11
6- pass to mccollum for 6
7-Smith 4 yard run
8-pass to McCollum for 44 TD
9-Gibbs run for -1
10- pass to Gibbs for 4
11- pass to Mason for 2
12- punt
13- sack
14 - Smith run for 4
15 - pass to Carter for 12
16- punt
17 - Gibbs run for no gain
18- pass to Sanders for 8
19- Gibbs run for -1
20- punt
21- pass to Carter for 12
22- Sims run for 15
23- Smith run for 6
24- Smith run for 3 TD
25-Gibbs run for -3
26- Gibbs run for 1
27- pass interference against Pitt
28- Sims run for 1
29- incomplete pass (first of game other than picks)
30- Sims run for 1
31- Mason run for -1 turnover on downs
32- pass to Gibbs for 71 yards
33- pass to McCollum for -1
34- Sims run for 4
35- pass to Gibbs for 2
36- incompletion, turnover on downs, end of half

2nd half
37- pass to Carter for 10
38- pass to Rutherford for 11
39- pass to Carter for 20
40- pass to Rutherford for 24
41- Gibbs run for 7
42- incompletion
43- Gibbs run for -8
44- incompletion
45- blocked field goal
46- Smith run for 4
47- Gibbs run for 2
48- pass to Carter for 11
49- Sims run for 5
50- Pass to Gibbs for 17
51- Gibbs run for -2
52- incompletion
53- pass to Rutherford for 11
54- Mason run for 3
55- Sims run for 1
56- Sims run for 4
57- pass to Sanders for 4, TD
58- sack
59- Smith run for 14
60- incompletion
61- punt
62- pass to Rutherford for 10
63- pass to Sanders for 36
64- incompletion
65- pass to Rutherford for 6
66- Smith run for 4
67- Smith run for -2

I take away from this that running Sims and passing the ball works this year. Our OLine is not ready to run up the middle. We blew the Clemson game because Patenaude hasn’t figured this out. And against Pitt he didn’t keep doing what was working. Again, he looks like he was ordered to throw in run plays which killed our momentum.

I like your posts but you are wrong on this. We ran 64 offensive plays not counting punts and you bring up 5. I could randomly throw darts at a play sheet and call plays that work on 5 out of 64. Besides, no one is arguing about those plays. We should have been running those type all game. But it’s almost like Patenaude has been told to run a handoff up the middle 1 of every 3 plays.

Below is a list of our offensive plays. The pass was working. The run was not yet Patenaude kept calling runs. See below for proof.

2- interception
3- Gibbs 1 yard run
4- interception
5- pass to Gibbs for 11
7-Smith 4 yard run
9-Gibbs run for -1
10- pass to Gibbs for 4
11- pass to Mason for 2
12- punt
13- sack
14 - Smith run for 4
16- punt
19- Gibbs run for -1
20- punt
22- Sims run for 15
23- Smith run for 6
24- Smith run for 3 TD
25-Gibbs run for -3
26- Gibbs run for 1
28- Sims run for 1
30- Sims run for 1
34- Sims run for 4
35- pass to Gibbs for 2

2nd half
41- Gibbs run for 7
42- incompletion
43- Gibbs run for -8
44- incompletion
45- blocked field goal
46- Smith run for 4
47- Gibbs run for 2
49- Sims run for 5
50- Pass to Gibbs for 17
51- Gibbs run for -2
52- incompletion
54- Mason run for 3
55- Sims run for 1
56- Sims run for 4
58- sack
59- Smith run for 14
60- incompletion
61- punt
64- incompletion
66- Smith run for 4
67- Smith run for -2

I take away from this that running Sims and passing the ball works this year. Our OLine is not ready to run up the middle. We blew the Clemson game because Patenaude hasn’t figured this out. And against Pitt he didn’t keep doing what was working. Again, he looks like he was ordered to throw in run plays which killed our momentum.
When CPJ ran the same play over and over with no results, it was viewed as genius because he was “setting something up” or “keeping the defense honest” and other such tripe. There were even people here who defended the stupid 4th down double A back motion to timeout play because we got 1 team to jump and snapped the ball once instead of calling the TO. Out of the probably 100 times we wasted timeouts on it.

Point being - we don’t know why they keep trying to run up the gut. I could be stupidity. It could be to make sure the D knows it has to think about it which opens up the edge some. Until Patenaude tells us, we really don’t know.

When CPJ ran the same play over and over with no results, it was viewed as genius because he was “setting something up” or “keeping the defense honest” and other such tripe. There were even people here who defended the stupid 4th down double A back motion to timeout play because we got 1 team to jump and snapped the ball once instead of calling the TO. Out of the probably 100 times we wasted timeouts on it.

Point being - we don’t know why they keep trying to run up the gut. I could be stupidity. It could be to make sure the D knows it has to think about it which opens up the edge some. Until Patenaude tells us, we really don’t know.
The plays that you mentioned that Johnson ran repeatedly were successful the vast majority of the time, but obviously not in all cases (no play works all the time), but P'Nut's repetitive plays don't work anytime, or certainly seldom.

@OptionJacket:

You completely overlooked where I said that with better Blocking PNode would've been able to scheme 3-5 more explosive plays, that doesn't include normal passing plays that keep the chains moving.

I listed 5, we left 5 on the field due to crappy blocking, 10 explosive plays from passing alone out of 35-40 dropbacks is pretty good coaching, that doesn't include runs of more than 12 yds, that we didn't get due to poor blocking.

You read it as only 5 great plays out of the entire game, which was the wrong way to interpret what I was aiming for

@OptionJacket

I'm very comfortable with 33 passing attempts with an OLine like ours.

Also, I'm gonna go in record saying I hate seeing Sims run, no matter how great he looked gashing UNC, my philosophy is this:

once you find a QB with arm talent, you protect him as best you can and don't take unecessary risks using him in the running game, we are 4 deep at RB let those guys run, in fact we need to start using Mason & Grffin as power Backs then change the pace with Gibbs & Dontae.

I'm not a big fan of running QBs unless they are bulky Guys like Tebow or Cam

Sims is a running QB with a good arm. He’s comfortable running, he’s comfortable throwing when he’s comfortable in the offense. I think he needs to get going, then he’s fine. We need to use the run to set up the throws not the other way around. I believe it’s about this basic & Goober cannot see the forest from the trees.

He read this board and went to the 2 back set, started giving Dontae more carries. Maybe he’ll take this advice also?:fingersx:

2- interception
3- Gibbs 1 yard run
4- interception
5- pass to Gibbs for 11
7-Smith 4 yard run
9-Gibbs run for -1
10- pass to Gibbs for 4
11- pass to Mason for 2
12- punt
13- sack
14 - Smith run for 4
16- punt
19- Gibbs run for -1
20- punt
22- Sims run for 15
23- Smith run for 6
24- Smith run for 3 TD
25-Gibbs run for -3
26- Gibbs run for 1
28- Sims run for 1
30- Sims run for 1
34- Sims run for 4
35- pass to Gibbs for 2

2nd half
41- Gibbs run for 7
42- incompletion
43- Gibbs run for -8
44- incompletion
45- blocked field goal
46- Smith run for 4
47- Gibbs run for 2
49- Sims run for 5
50- Pass to Gibbs for 17
51- Gibbs run for -2
52- incompletion
54- Mason run for 3
55- Sims run for 1
56- Sims run for 4
58- sack
59- Smith run for 14
60- incompletion
61- punt
64- incompletion
66- Smith run for 4
67- Smith run for -2

I didn't watch, now I don't have to, thanks for the summary. Given this set of down by down outcomes I don't think I could possibly come to a different conclusion than you did, optionjacket.

Dude, I don't have any idea what your connection is with the current staff, but please stop putting chocolate on a turd and calling it a Baby Ruth. You could find five explosive plays from Vandy's game last week against UConn. There is a serious problem with our O and D lines. I gave CGC the first and second year because we were completely changing old habits. Along with the transfers in, we are way too far into this new regime to be seeing our lines get treated like rag dolls. We should, by now, be holding our own (no pun intended), or at least showing flashes of having some dominance. I can't think of ONE play from the Pitt game where I thought, man the pocket is giving him time. Now if we were playing Alabama last week, my argument would be tempered, but we were playing Pitt for crying out loud. PITT! Something is rotten down on the Flats and we can keep our heads in the sand or own it and do something about it. I'm seeing only one of those from CGC............................. and that's sad.

There were even people here who defended the stupid 4th down double A back motion to timeout play because we got 1 team to jump and snapped the ball once instead of calling the TO. Out of the probably 100 times we wasted timeouts on it.

I wish people would öööö off with this tired bullshit. Drawing them off worked sometimes - we got Clemson with it twice in the same game. You don’t get extra credit for having timeouts left at the end of the game, so it seldom hurt to see if we could get a cheap 5 yards. It had as much chance of success as the stuff we threw out there this week on 4th down, and maybe more.

JRjr

Tell you what, since you seem to be one of those "blame everything on Coaching" kinda Guys, let's try a hypothetical...
eyesquint.jpg

The staff is getting paid millions to coach up the players, call the plays, manage the game, etc.... they are absolutely the people that deserve the blame.

Maybe lightning will flash from the sky and explode the ball in midair moments before it lands in a receiver's arms for the winning TD as time expires. That one I'll put on God. All the rest is on CGC.

I wish people would öööö off with this tired bullshit. Drawing them off worked sometimes - we got Clemson with it twice in the same game. You don’t get extra credit for having timeouts left at the end of the game, so it seldom hurt to see if we could get a cheap 5 yards. It had as much chance of success as the stuff we threw out there this week on 4th down, and maybe more.

JRjr
Plus, I don't think CPJ ever did that play when we were in a time crunch. It was usually early in the game or when we were trying to extend a death march.

Collins being anything more than a recruiting coordinator is ridiculous. He'll go through GT until we can finally afford to fire him and then off he will go to be some other P5's recruiting coordinator. It sucks we have to experience this to show where his value lies. The coaching on the field is like a bad joke. When has he fooled or out coached anyone....ever?
This. Gooff Collins is joke. 3-9. :readthis:

@OptionJacket

I'm very comfortable with 33 passing attempts with an OLine like ours.

Also, I'm gonna go in record saying I hate seeing Sims run, no matter how great he looked gashing UNC, my philosophy is this:

once you find a QB with arm talent, you protect him as best you can and don't take unecessary risks using him in the running game, we are 4 deep at RB let those guys run, in fact we need to start using Mason & Grffin as power Backs then change the pace with Gibbs & Dontae.

I'm not a big fan of running QBs unless they are bulky Guys like Tebow or Cam
I understand and we probably agree on 90% which is way more than I agree with my wife! The problem is we have never been able to sign a QB that has the ability to just pick apart a defense from the pocket. At least in the last 30-40 years. Those guys go to factories not GT. We get run/pass guys with run listed first. Shawn Jones, Thomas, Ham, Nesbitt, Sims, Yates, Taqon, etc. Godsey was the one QB who was more pass than run and he had O’Leary putting him in beautifully designed plays. Same with Jones.

We need running QB’s because the Joe Burrows and Mac Jones types aren’t coming to GT. What we need is a creative OC who can utilize the strengths of the skilled players on offense. You gotta admit that Patenaude’s play sheet is a conglomerate of every coaches play sheet. In 3 years I have not seen one original thought on offense. Have we run 1 misdirection play this entire season? The TE’s are basically wasted pace at this point. Might as well just put in a 3rd tackle or extra receiver because the TE’s produce nothing. With the weapons we have on offense (our WR’s are freaking fast and good) an innovative coach could have a lot of fun drawing up plays. I’m convinced Patenaude googled “RPO offense” and printed out the first set of play designs that popped up. There is another poster who brings up the Coastal Carolina offense. He ain’t wrong. Those coaches utilize their player’s skills and it’s fun to play in and watch. We are the exact opposite. I’m worried about #1 on offense leaving and I wouldn’t blame him at this point.

When you’re consistently getting 3-4ypc between the tackles, you’re 1st and goal at the 5 and you don’t run between the tackles you’re not smart. If you don‘t select one of your sledgehammer RBs to run between the tackles, you ain’t very smart.

If you’re consistently averaging -1.0 ypc between the tackles and you’re 1st and goal from the 5, and you run between the tackles you’re not smart. If you run the RB between the tackles that falls down on contact if he’s not in the open field, you doubled down on dumb.

That’s kind of how it works. Anything can happen on any play, but if you pick your lowest probability option, you generally have the lowest odds of success.
Please tell me which game were we consistently getting 3-4ypc between the tackles and then didn't run between the tackles at the goal line. I think your eyes are deceiving you. It's easy when we get to 1st and G situations and don't score a TD to call out the OC because the plays we ran didn't work. Like I said in the earlier post (before UNC game) we were 13/21 scoring TDs from 1st and G over the last 2 years. I'm not saying that's a good stat and yes that needs to improve but let's look at those 8 goal to go scenarios we didn't score a TD and see where the blame lies:

1) FSU - 1st and G from 5 we had a 15 yard personal foul penalty that moved it back to 1st and G from the 20. We ended up getting back to the 5 but attempted a FG on 4th down that got blocked. 1st and 20 and gained 15 yards on 3 plays... can you blame the OC for that?

2) UCF - 1st and G from 9, Jahmyr Gibbs stopped for no gain, then Jeff Sims runs on 2nd down and fumbles to UCF. OC's fault?

3) NC State - 1st and G from 1 we had 2 false start penalties, power run Mason for 5 yards, Sims run for no gain, and incomplete pass. OC's fault? There could have been some better play calls there but got back to the 1 and very next play wiped that out with another false start. Can't put the blame on him when this keeps happening.

4) NC State - 1st and G from 10, 1st play back shoulder throw to sanders, perfect pass, great catch, just got pushed out by defender and couldn't get a foot down in bounds. 2nd down flood pattern right with Sims rolling out, Norris wide open in center of endzone, Sims didn't see him and takes off running for no gain. 3rd and G from 10, ran a counter play to Donate with 2 pulling linemen executed perfectly, safety makes a great open field tackle on Donate at the 5. That doesn't normally happen. 4th and G from 5 we kick a FG. OC's fault here? I don't see it.

5) NIU - 1st and G from the 5, I've covered this one extensively but folks keep ignoring it. We ran inside zone to Mason for 3 yards to the 2, there was a pile of players on the ground and the ref started the play clock immediately when he got tackled. It took a while for everyone to get up and Mason was still on the ground when the play clock was already down to about 25. The play clock should've been reset. Our sidelines were signaling in the play, Yates did not ever look at the play clock and realize how low it was and we had to call a TO or he would've taken a delay of game. Folks keep blaming that TO on the OC though. So the next play, we were UNDER CENTER, ran POWER RUN to MASON with a TE pulling and leading with a great kickout block. Guess what? LG let a guy run free and made the tackle in the backfield. 3rd and G, under center, misdirection, pass to Gibbs in flat, Yates has to float the ball, Gibbs still catches it at the 2, 1-on-1 vs defender and gets tackled. Great play there by defender. 4th down we are set to take the chip shot FG but CGC calls the timeout after the booing. This OC's fault? Ok so 4th down, pass to McGowan in back of endzone, called a TD and reversed. Very iffy review and overturn there. His left toe barely caught the line but his right foot was already dragging inbounds. In that case I don't see enough to overturn the call on the field. But still looked like a great play to me, so blame the OC for this?

6) Clemson - 1st and G from 10, 23 seconds before halftime (clock running) with one timeout, you are limited to what you can call here. 1st down pass to the corner of the endzone, overthrown by Yates. Play was there but you have to throw it where only your guy can catch it and Yates just put a little too much on it. 2nd down, Yates has protection and bails for 5 yard gain. Had Deveney open in the middle of field but likely couldn't see him. 3rd and G, sideline is signaling the play in, Yates looks confused and playclock is running down so we have to call TO. 3rd and G Yates gets pressured and has to throw it away. 4th and G kick the FG. OC's fault? I like the 1st down call here, you take a shot and if it's incomplete you stop the clock. 2nd down not real sure why Yates bailed so quick. Don't know who's fault it was that we had to call a timeout but the sideline was signaling a play in and Yates looks confused. You can see it on the replay. Maybe this one is on the OC, who knows? But the TO is called, next play you can't run it because you can't risk getting tackled in bounds so pass play gets pressured, throw it away and take the FG. So this is possibly one out of 6 so far that MAY be on the OC and that's only for the one third down. First and 2nd down were fine and like I said, playcalling is limited here already because of situation.

7) Clemson - 1st and G from 7 - Pass in right flat to Deveney for 2 yards. Good playcall IMO and good open field tackle but with Deveney's size, he needs to be more physical there and could've gotten a couple extra yards. 2nd and G, pass play, nobody open Yates throws it away. 3rd and G, pass to Deveney in the EZ, a little bit out front but should've been caught for a TD. I have no problems with play calling here. We could not run into the teeth of Clemson's front 7, plus we needed 2 scores so we didn't need to risk running too much clock if we run the ball. We got the FG to make it a 1 score game. That was the only thing we could do on that drive was make it a 1 possession game.

8) Clemson - 1st and G from 3. We had just run Gibbs up the middle for a 1st down, Clemson on their heels, I agree a timeout here was a bad call but that was the HC that ran down and called the TO, not the OC. In hindsight, we saw that the hurryup offense at 1st and goal did not work against UNC so who's to say we would've scored against Clemson's DL front? Then we would've had to call timeout anyway and it be 2nd down. Either way, that is not the blame of the OC. So 1st and G, rollout right pass to McGowan. Play was there, good pass, but good play by the defender to knock it away. 2nd down McGowan in jet motion on end around with lead blocker. Good playcall to me to get your speedy playmaker the ball to outrun the defense to the corner. Skalski reads it perfectly and shoots through from the MLB spot to make the play. Excellent play by him, but nothing wrong with the play call either to me. 3rd and goal we get the play in late and then huddle up. Not sure why we huddled up, but we were out of the huddle and lined up with time to snap the ball but call the timeout with 3 secs on play clock. I can understand being a little indecisive here at the goal line at the end of the game with a chance to tie it up against Clemson. We also still had one more timeout remaining so burning one here doesn't prevent you from still running the ball. 3rd and G, power run straight ahead with Mason. Everybody firing off with 2 TE package in. Billy Ward goes outside, lets the DT by and he makes the tackle for loss. If he blocks the correct man, Mason likely scores there. Then the 4th down play, the shovel pass everybody knows about. Great play again by Skalski and if we just make that one block, it's a TD.

Since then, we've had 9 more goal to go possessions with 4 TDs, 3 FGs, a blocked FG, and a turnover. Here are the ones we didn't score a TD and why.

9) UNC - 1st and G from 10. First play holding on GT. 1st and G from 20 now, we run read option first play and Yates makes wrong read and gives to Gibbs, loses 4 more yards. Yates had room to run too. Now 2nd and 24. There's no magic playcalling from this scenario. Next play is outside zone run to Gibbs for no gain. 3rd down we basically conceded to take the FG points and run outside zone again with Gibbs to pick up a few yards and make it a chip shot FG. So is this OC's fault when it's 1st and G from 20

10) UNC - 1st and G from 10. Mason run inside zone for 1 yard. 2nd down pass to Norris, catchable ball on outside shoulder, defender holding one of his arms but no call. 3rd down, false start now 3rd and 14. Incomplete pass on a catchable ball to Norris, good play by the defender to knock it down. Still fail to see where any of this is on the OC.

11) UNC - 1st and G from 5, Mason had just broken a long run down to the 5. We go hurry up on 1st and 2nd down (like everybody wanted us to do against Clemson) to try to power it in while UNC is reeling. 1st down gets 2 yards, 2nd down gets another. Not enough push from our OL. These weren't slow developing read plays, they were straight gives with a straight forward push by our OL. They had been executing well this game but did not here, so I guess the OC should've already known they wouldn't? 3rd and G from the 2, inside wasn't working so ran jet motion with Dontae, quick flip pass to him going around the edge with blockers that didn't block anybody for a 3 yard loss. Don't see anything wrong with that play call. Inside power got stuffed twice in a row, get it outside to your speedy playmaker with blockers. What's wrong with that call?

12) Pitt - 1st and G from the 4. We could not run the ball on Pitt all day, so first down call quick screen to McCollum tackled for 1 yard loss. 2nd down had a TE coming across behind the OL would've been open for a TD but he tripped. Sims had to run for his life because zero blocking but managed to scramble back to the 1. So 3rd and goal from the 1 and we false start, now we're back to the 6. Pass to Gibbs in the flat and that's a great play by the corner to let his man go to the inside and stay out in coverage on Gibbs. He was there high though on a defenseless receiver and by the definition of the rule, that targeting call should've been upheld. 4th and G from the 4, have to go for it because of the score and McCollum slips on a quick slant that was there, and also was pulled by the defender again with no call. That play was there, execution just was not. I would like to know what type of play calling could have worked better in this situation?

13) Pitt - 1st and G from the 7. Gibbs runs for a TD and gets called back by that cheap holding call on Norris. So now it's goal to go from the 15. 1st down pass to Carter back shoulder at the pylon, had a hand on it but couldn't make the play because his other arm was wrapped up and being held by the defender, no call as usual. 2nd and 15, outside zone run with Gibbs, 2 guys whiff on blocks and Gibbs gets tackled for 8 yard loss. 3rd and 23, Jeff has zero time to pass, is getting mauled and has to throw it away just to save a FG opportunity. Then we let a guy come free between C and G on FG try and it gets blocked. I see nothing wrong with playcalling in this series either.

So there are the 13 instances from this year and last that we have had 1st and goal and failed to score a TD. 6 of those were affected by penalties. Of the other 7, one we fumbled on 2nd down. That leaves 6 1st and goal scenarios we didn't score a TD with nothing else affecting the drive. 3 of those were against Clemson, one of the best defenses we'll face this year, who also had not even given up an offensive TD at the time and we still had plays there that just failed on execution. The other 3, one against NC State again we had plays there and didn't execute well, one against UNC we went hurry up power like folks wanted on 1st and 2nd down but our OL didn't block well enough and we didn't convert going outside on 3rd., and the other is the NIU series that I covered extensively above. I still fail to see where the playcalling is the issue. I agree we have a problem scoring TDs in goal to go scenarios and our redzone offense also needs improvement. But here's the thing, when your OL play is lacking, where do you think that shows up the most? When we are back on our own side of the field and have the defense stretched out and room for the QB/RBs to get in space and make plays? or in the redzone where when our QB or RB's get in trouble, they have more DB's in a tighter space to keep contain? or inside the 10 where everybody is in a phone booth and you have nowhere to escape?

The other fun part of playcalling is trying to predict which part of the OL is going to fail on a given play. I'd almost feel that Key should be replaced before the OC, but he has such a paper tiger rep built on Bama talent that everyone outside the fanbase (and some people inside) are gonna say we're scapegoating.

Back