#PITTvsGT Coach Collins Postgame Press Conference

I feel like getting into the weeds on whether or not position coaches are doing their job is far beyond the level of knowledge that most fans have. We simply don't know enough about what's going on in locker rooms, meeting rooms, behind the scenes to know who's really effective and who's not. The OC should know that, and if there is a position coach that deserves disproportionate blame, then the OC should have fired him already. Failing to do so is proof the OC is himself not doing his job.
That's a problem when your OL coach is the one and he's also the "associate head coach" or whatever title he has. The OC in our system is not higher than the OL coach. Also, that's not a problem that a mid-season firing will cure.

There are a lot of more technical reasons why we got pounded on Sat (Weak line play, defense allowing Pitt to move down the field at will, play calling esp in the red zone, officials, whatever), but Sat felt like a typical Tech game where we have had some recent success and came out entirely flat. Seems like it happens to a lot of schools who are not completely "there" with regard to consistency after a big win. In my experience at Tech, it seems to happen just as often if not more no matter the year or the coach. We play Clemson very close with a chance to potentially tie in the end. This was a school with recent NC appearances and wins and one who thoroughly kicked our asses last year. We came to play. To our credit, we came to play also vs. UNC. It was in the Benz so a big night for us. I hate that we didn't seem to get "up" for Pitt like we should have, but you could see it happening given the two weeks prior. Perhaps the players were "believing their own press" a little too much.

Anyway, pure speculation. Just seems like we've seen this so many times.

Yep. I kind of thought this might happen based on past experience. Dunno if it’s symptomatic of being young, or being borderline (barely good, barely decent, whatever), but it feels to me like Tech has a habit of laying an egg whenever we’re in position to take a big step up or consolidate gains that we’ve made.

At a macro level, that’s losing to Penn State in ‘91 or having a 2010/2015 after a 2009/2014. At a micro level, it’s building some positive momentum out of KSU/Clemson/UNC, then not just losing that goodwill and positive momentum but setting it on fire and running it over with a bulldozer. It’s frustrating and fairly predictable for this team across several coaching regimes.

JRjr

That's a problem when your OL coach is the one and he's also the "associate head coach" or whatever title he has. The OC in our system is not higher than the OL coach. Also, that's not a problem that a mid-season firing will cure.
It not a problem that gets easier to solve by delaying the resolution. Nothing is gained by waiting till the end of the season if you've already decided someone has to go.

It not a problem that gets easier to solve by delaying the resolution. Nothing is gained by waiting till the end of the season if you've already decided someone has to go.
I, myself, haven't decided that. We absolutely should be better there but it's still a patchwork room with not a lot of depth. That was clearly evident Saturday with 2 top rotational guys out. We have to get more bodies in there and more experience. I'm over the one year rental deal of getting guys from the portal. We should've taken our lumps early (we did anyway) and got our younger guys some experience.

What's gained from firing a position coach mid season though? Do we have an interim for that? Or we roll with none?
We won't find a replacement til the seasons over either way.

Also should add, I'm not certain we're at the point of firing Key just yet, though it's getting real close.
There's weaker teams left on the slate that we can show improvement against.

That leads to another thought I almost put in the previous post. Could Patenaude even fire Key if he wanted to? Key isn't only an offensive line coach and given the hullabaloo about retaining him, it may not be that easy. How much control over Key does Patenaude really have? Obviously this we can't know, but it isn't a crazy question.

If you're going to say we don't know enough inside stuff to know how much to blame a position coach, then we don't know enough to know how much to blame the manager. All we have then is "the buck stops here", which tells us even less.
Key is Assistant Head Coach. P'Nut has no say-so over him at all. Only Collins could fire Key, but with P'Nut and Collins being BFF's, we may be stuck with both of them, unless TStan steps in.

Not only is he not the best OC in the world, I would say he might be one of the worst. He's definitely the worst I have ever seen/

You haven't debunked anything.
I forgot what your argument was. This seems to have spread over multiple threads or feels like it.

What's gained from firing a position coach mid season though? Do we have an interim for that? Or we roll with none?
We won't find a replacement til the seasons over either way.
The primary thing is that it communicates to everyone that you know what the problem is. If we putter along and end up 4-8 (let's say) with a couple more fun wins and a couple more close losses, and a handful of stinkers, you just lose more and more credibility all along the way. Particularly given his sunshine-and-roses PR technique, people are legitimately wondering just how much CGC thinks he can do to fix this problem. You can't recruit your way out of incompetent timeout management and not being able to get a play called on time.

Last edited:
I forgot what your argument was. This seems to have spread over multiple threads or feels like it.
His argument is that our OC's playcalling is why we have had trouble in the redzone/goal line.

You haven't debunked anything.
Dude, you have constantly said, "he does the exact same thing every time." I have shown you every single goal to go possession and every single play called. Your statement is 100% false. That is the definition of debunked. You haven't once showed me a scenario in which he has done the same thing repeatedly to failure, and you also haven't listed any specific bad play calls and what the correct one would be. Like I said, when one doesn't work, it's easy to play the hindsight is 20/20 game and say, "well we shoulda run something different."

Dude, you have constantly said, "he does the exact same thing every time." I have shown you every single goal to go possession and every single play called. Your statement is 100% false. That is the definition of debunked. You haven't once showed me a scenario in which he has done the same thing repeatedly to failure, and you also haven't listed any specific bad play calls and what the correct one would be. Like I said, when one doesn't work, it's easy to play the hindsight is 20/20 game and say, "well we shoulda run something different."

Without checking the stats, “get in red zone, call a time out, come out and false start” was enough of a pattern in my mind that I called the false start on Saturday during the time out. :-)

JRjr

Take a look at every single failed red-zone attempt this year and last year, and, other than slight differences in the specific plays called, they have all been EXACTLY THE SAME. If you can't see that, then you are either blind or you have your head up P'Nut's ***

What a bizarre lot of effort you have put in to defend our OC. On the one hand, I applaud the effort. On the other hand, in service of what...?

This year we are 104th in the world in scoring TD's in the red zone, tied with Vandy, Rice and Ga. State. We're 94th in getting any kind of points in the red zone.

You don't want to blame the coach because fumbles and penalties are on the players. Do the 100 schools ahead of us not have players, too? Why don't they fumble and commit penalties like we do?

You don't put blame for the occasional fumble or penalty on the coach. You do put blame for consistent fumbles and penalties on the coach.
How about in service of the truth?

How about in service of putting out fair & balanced analyses of the issues that are affecting us, rather than defaulting to the same sophomoric comments of:

Coach 'em up
Call better plays
Go with the the 2nd Team QB, he makes better "reads"
Fire the HC
Fire the OC
Fire the DC
Why aren't we running plays from under Center?

T
Take a look at every single failed red-zone attempt this year and last year, and, other than slight differences in the specific plays called, they have all been EXACTLY THE SAME. If you can't see that, then you are either blind or you have your head up P'Nut's ***
That is exactly what I did. They have not been. I did inside the 10 first then I went back and did all the redzone possessions the last time we had this discussion.

How about in service of the truth?

How about in service of putting out fair & balanced analyses of the issues that are affecting us, rather than defaulting to the same sophomoric comments of:

Coach 'em up
Call better plays
Go with the the 2nd Team QB, he makes better "reads"
Fire the HC
Fire the OC
Fire the DC
Why aren't we running plays from under Center?

Yep. I kind of thought this might happen based on past experience. Dunno if it’s symptomatic of being young, or being borderline (barely good, barely decent, whatever), but it feels to me like Tech has a habit of laying an egg whenever we’re in position to take a big step up or consolidate gains that we’ve made.

At a macro level, that’s losing to Penn State in ‘91 or having a 2010/2015 after a 2009/2014. At a micro level, it’s building some positive momentum out of KSU/Clemson/UNC, then not just losing that goodwill and positive momentum but setting it on fire and running it over with a bulldozer. It’s frustrating and fairly predictable for this team across several coaching regimes.

JRjr

These perceived lows after highs are more indicative of being an average program. Most average level programs have the same highs and lows. Truly terrible programs will lose almost every game. Elite programs will win the vast majority and string great wins together consistently. Tech has been a average to slightly below average program for most of the past half century.

Back