#PITTvsGT Coach Collins Postgame Press Conference

I'm curious if he's leaving the defensive post mortem to Thacker's press conference.
I would recommend just ignoring his pressers. They keep to the same format and never provide much real insight. He will usually default to "we lost because of back luck / mental errors." Acknowledging any other deficiencies is too negative for his juice. It's a style thing that some love and some hate and it aint gonna change.

Sorry... what? Are the pro-CGC guys "defaulting" to anything other than "just wait till we turn over the roster and get real athletes in here instead of CPJ's runts"?
First of all you have me confused with someone else.

My philosophy is that our Guys are 12 to 24 months into our Program, our Players should be Game-ready and have the functionality in our Offense such that on any play we don't have 3 OLs out of 5 OLs either whiffing or getting manhandled by the opposition.

Getting all his guys in there might be important at some point, but the OLs we do have should be playing much better right now.

12 to 24 months of non stop weights, sprints, and drills to teach them OLine skills should produce a much better effort than what we saw from, #60, #77, #70, #57.

I recognize that we should be much better at this point, so when an entire unit plays sub-par, you will never hear me say we needed better playcalls, or that the OC and or HC need to be fired

First of all you have me confused with someone else.

My philosophy is that our Guys are 12 to 24 months into our Program, our Players should be Game-ready and have the functionality in our Offense such that on any play we don't have 3 OLs out of 5 OLs either whiffing or getting manhandled by the opposition.

Getting all his guys in there might be important at some point, but the OLs we do have should be playing much better right now.

12 to 24 months of non stop weights, sprints, and drills to teach them OLine skills should produce a much better effort than what we saw from, #60, #77, #70, #57.

I recognize that we should be much better at this point, so when an entire unit plays sub-par, you will never hear me say we needed better playcalls, or that the OC and or HC need to be fired
"should be Game-ready"
"should be playing much better"
"should produce a much effort than what we saw"
"should be much better at this point"

Sorry... what is it you think should be done to rectify these problems?

Last edited:
"our Players should be Game-ready"
"the OLs we do have should be playing much better"
"we should be much better at this point"

An entire new coaching staff would help

Here it is again for you though since you didn't comprehend it the first 2 times apparently:

NIU - 1st and G from the 5, I've covered this one extensively but folks keep ignoring it. We ran inside zone to Mason for 3 yards to the 2, there was a pile of players on the ground and the ref started the play clock immediately when he got tackled. It took a while for everyone to get up and Mason was still on the ground when the play clock was already down to about 25. The play clock should've been reset. Our sidelines were signaling in the play, Yates did not ever look at the play clock and realize how low it was and we had to call a TO or he would've taken a delay of game. Folks keep blaming that TO on the OC though. So the next play, we were UNDER CENTER, ran POWER RUN to MASON with a TE pulling and leading with a great kickout block. Guess what? LG let a guy run free and made the tackle in the backfield. 3rd and G, under center, misdirection, pass to Gibbs in flat, Yates has to float the ball, Gibbs still catches it at the 2, 1-on-1 vs defender and gets tackled. Great play there by defender. 4th down we are set to take the chip shot FG but CGC calls the timeout after the booing. This OC's fault? Ok so 4th down, pass to McGowan in back of endzone, called a TD and reversed. Very iffy review and overturn there. His left toe barely caught the line but his right foot was already dragging inbounds. In that case I don't see enough to overturn the call on the field. But still looked like a great play to me, so blame the OC for this?

There was only one against KSU actually that did not result in a TD. We were at the 21, 1st and 10. Pop pass to Dontae Smith for 7 yards to the 14, and its now 2nd and 3. Pass play with TE wide open in the middle past the sticks but RT whiffs his block and Jordan has to run for his life just to throw it away. 3rd and 3 Jordan has his TE wide open again in the middle past the sticks but decides to take a deep shot to the corner of the endzone and it's broken up. 4th and 3 we kick the FG. Where are the stupid 1st, 2nd down plays and the timeout?

Clemson - 1st and G from 10, 23 seconds before halftime (clock running) with one timeout, you are limited to what you can call here. 1st down pass to the corner of the endzone, overthrown by Yates. Play was there but you have to throw it where only your guy can catch it and Yates just put a little too much on it. 2nd down, Yates has protection and bails for 5 yard gain. Had Deveney open in the middle of field but likely couldn't see him. 3rd and G, sideline is signaling the play in, Yates looks confused and playclock is running down so we have to call TO. 3rd and G Yates gets pressured and has to throw it away. 4th and G kick the FG. OC's fault? I like the 1st down call here, you take a shot and if it's incomplete you stop the clock. 2nd down not real sure why Yates bailed so quick. Don't know who's fault it was that we had to call a timeout but the sideline was signaling a play in and Yates looks confused. You can see it on the replay. Maybe this one is on the OC, who knows? But the TO is called, next play you can't run it because you can't risk getting tackled in bounds so pass play gets pressured, throw it away and take the FG. So this is possibly one so far that MAY be on the OC and that's only for the one third down. First and 2nd down were fine and like I said, playcalling is limited here already because of situation.

Clemson - 1st and G from 7 - Pass in right flat to Deveney for 2 yards. Good playcall IMO and good open field tackle but with Deveney's size, he needs to be more physical there and could've gotten a couple extra yards. 2nd and G, pass play, nobody open Yates throws it away. 3rd and G, pass to Deveney in the EZ, a little bit out front but should've been caught for a TD. I have no problems with play calling here. We could not run into the teeth of Clemson's front 7, plus we needed 2 scores so we didn't need to risk running too much clock if we run the ball. We got the FG to make it a 1 score game. That was the only thing we could do on that drive was make it a 1 possession game.

Clemson - 1st and G from 3. We had just run Gibbs up the middle for a 1st down, Clemson on their heels, I agree a timeout here was a bad call but that was the HC that ran down and called the TO, not the OC. In hindsight, we saw that the hurryup offense at 1st and goal did not work against UNC so who's to say we would've scored against Clemson's DL front? Then we would've had to call timeout anyway and it be 2nd down. Either way, that is not the blame of the OC. So 1st and G, rollout right pass to McGowan. Play was there, good pass, but good play by the defender to knock it away. 2nd down McGowan in jet motion on end around with lead blocker. Good playcall to me to get your speedy playmaker the ball to outrun the defense to the corner. Skalski reads it perfectly and shoots through from the MLB spot to make the play. Excellent play by him, but nothing wrong with the play call either to me. 3rd and goal we get the play in late and then huddle up. Not sure why we huddled up, but we were out of the huddle and lined up with time to snap the ball but call the timeout with 3 secs on play clock. I can understand being a little indecisive here at the goal line at the end of the game with a chance to tie it up against Clemson. We also still had one more timeout remaining so burning one here doesn't prevent you from still running the ball. 3rd and G, power run straight ahead with Mason. Everybody firing off with 2 TE package in. Billy Ward goes outside, lets the DT by and he makes the tackle for loss. If he blocks the correct man, Mason likely scores there. Then the 4th down play, the shovel pass everybody knows about. Great play again by Skalski and if we just make that one block, it's a TD.

Pitt - 1st and G from the 4. We could not run the ball on Pitt all day, so first down call quick screen to McCollum tackled for 1 yard loss. 2nd down had a TE coming across behind the OL would've been open for a TD but he tripped. Sims had to run for his life because zero blocking but managed to scramble back to the 1. So 3rd and goal from the 1 and we false start, now we're back to the 6. Pass to Gibbs in the flat and that's a great play by the corner to let his man go to the inside and stay out in coverage on Gibbs. He was there high though on a defenseless receiver and by the definition of the rule, that targeting call should've been upheld. 4th and G from the 4, have to go for it because of the score and McCollum slips on a quick slant that was there, and also was pulled by the defender again with no call. That play was there, execution just was not. I would like to know what type of play calling could have worked better in this situation?

Pitt - 1st and G from the 7. Gibbs runs for a TD and gets called back by that cheap holding call on Norris. So now it's goal to go from the 15. 1st down pass to Carter back shoulder at the pylon, had a hand on it but couldn't make the play because his other arm was wrapped up and being held by the defender, no call as usual. 2nd and 15, outside zone run with Gibbs, 2 guys whiff on blocks and Gibbs gets tackled for 8 yard loss. 3rd and 23, Jeff has zero time to pass, is getting mauled and has to throw it away just to save a FG opportunity. Then we let a guy come free between C and G on FG try and it gets blocked. I see nothing wrong with playcalling in this series either.
You can quote all the stats you want to, but nothing negates the fact that he has one of the lowest red zone success rates in the entire country, and we have lost several games solely because of that ineptitude. The man is the worst OC I have seen at Tech in my 60 years of attending Tech games. And yes, I attend the games; I don't sit at home on my couch bitching at what I see, like more and more Tech fans are doing and will continue to do until we get a representative product on the field. And we won't do that with P'Nut as OC, or probably even with Collins as HC.

You can quote all the stats you want to, but nothing negates the fact that he has one of the lowest red zone success rates in the entire country, and we have lost several games solely because of that ineptitude. The man is the worst OC I have seen at Tech in my 60 years of attending Tech games. And yes, I attend the games; I don't sit at home on my couch bitching at what I see, like more and more Tech fans are doing and will continue to do until we get a representative product on the field. And we won't do that with P'Nut as OC, or probably even with Collins as HC.
LET. ME. TALK. REAL. SLOW. FOR. YOU.

I. AGREE. WE. HAVE. POOR. REDZONE. PERFORMANCE.

IT. ISN'T. BECAUSE. OF. PLAY. CALLING. OR. THE. OC.

IT. IS. BECAUSE. WE. CANT. BLOCK.

"our Players should be Game-ready"
"the OLs we do have should be playing much better"
"we should be much better at this point"

You need to say “ 12 to 24 months of non stop weights, sprints, and drills to teach them should produce a much better effort”. Also, throw in “combat sport” to accent your post

Says the guy thats already apparently been run off from another message board. Maybe other folks ain't the problem chief.

Well, you might want to look into the details of that if true. Was he banned or did he just leave because the other board was toxic? Those details matter. If he left that was just his choice. If he was banned was he banned for a legitimate reason? I've been banned from two message boards for civil disagreements. One disagreement was with the guy that ran the cite and banned me after I told him I didn't wish to engage in debates with him anymore. The other I was banned because I told a mod I did not want to engage in debates or direct messages with him because I believed he was trying to bait me into a bogus ban. Both cites engaged in censorship of opinions primarily. Neither ban was a loss to me. If I get banned here similarly it won't be much of a loss either because that will just show this cite is just as flawed as those were. I do hope that won't be the case but time will tell. Cancel culture of opposing thought is mental cowardice and though I miss the banter with a few from both cites I don't miss the cites at all.

Well, you might want to look into the details of that if true. Was he banned or did he just leave because the other board was toxic? Those details matter. If he left that was just his choice. If he was banned was he banned for a legitimate reason? I've been banned from two message boards for civil disagreements. One disagreement was with the guy that ran the cite and banned me after I told him I didn't wish to engage in debates with him anymore. The other I was banned because I told a mod I did not want to engage in debates or direct messages with him because I believed he was trying to bait me into a bogus ban. Both cites engaged in censorship of opinions primarily. Neither ban was a loss to me. If I get banned here similarly it won't be much of a loss either because that will just show this cite is just as flawed as those were. I do hope that won't be the case but time will tell. Cancel culture of opposing thought is mental cowardice and though I miss the banter with a few from both cites I don't miss the cites at all.

*site

JRjr

Says the guy thats already apparently been run off from another message board. Maybe other folks ain't the problem chief.
Regarding my having been banned from the other site, yes, I was banned, along with about 5 to 10 other guys who are now using this site. We were all banned because of the "butt hurt boys" on that site who whine about everything that is posted that is contrary to what they believe, and the gestapo moderators always take their side. To be honest, being banned from there has now become a badge of honor. And the few friends of mine who are still on there report regularly that others on there frequently ask what happened to so-and-so or so-and-so (including myself). I have seen quite a few posts on this site which would result in bans on that other site. I will and do argue with others, but I would never whine or report them because I didn't like what they posted. I either put them on ignore or just never respond again to what they might say. Thus far, I have only put one person here on ignore. I said I was going to put you on ignore too, but although I totally disagree with just about everything you say, you don't offend me. Whether or not I respond to anything you say in the future depends on what you say, and what mood I am in.

GO JACKETS !!!

LET. ME. TALK. REAL. SLOW. FOR. YOU.

I. AGREE. WE. HAVE. POOR. REDZONE. PERFORMANCE.

IT. ISN'T. BECAUSE. OF. PLAY. CALLING. OR. THE. OC.

IT. IS. BECAUSE. WE. CANT. BLOCK.
So if we can't block... what should we do about it? Who's fault is that? Is all of this your way of arguing we should fire the line coach instead of the OC?

So if we can't block... what should we do about it? Who's fault is that? Is all of this your way of arguing we should fire the line coach instead of the OC?
Y'all are arguing over if the play sucked because of the coach or the players but I would argue that its both.

Just because the play would have worked if done perfectly doesn't necessarily make it a good play call.

The players have to make the play but the coach has to take into account the players that he has on the field.

Calling for a 60 yard field goal isn't a good play call if your kicker can only kick it 50

Sounds like your bans were similar to mine. I posted a complaint about some action the mods had taken that made absolutely no sense. That complaint was deleted with no response, so I posted it again, asking why it had been deleted. Again it was deleted but I got a response from the head honcho there saying "if you don't like it here, you can always go somewhere else". So I asked again why my post had been deleted, and without any warning or anything, my account was permanently banned. One of my friends on that site said that one of the mods was trying to bait him and was even stalking him on other sites. He complained to several different mods, who apparently didn't care, so he just left the site, asking that his account be deleted.

No. It's like somebody else said. I went through all of this for factual truth. I'll admit I'm still on the fence about the OC as well. I didn't understand some of the game plan this past Saturday. Actually I did understand it, but when some of it wasn't working I did question why we didn't change to plan B. Although, with our injuries on top of our deficiencies on the OL, I don't know what plan B, C, D, or E there could have been that worked. But as far as the constant ranting and raving on here by some that, "everytime we get in the redzone we call stupid plays then we call timeouts hurr durr." That is totally false. In the end sure it will fall on the OC and the head coach when the offense isn't getting it done, but right now the primary reason our offense isn't functioning well is the OL. Also like I said in another post, where do you think those OL deficiencies show up the worst? You guessed it, the closer you get to the goal line.

Y'all are arguing over if the play sucked because of the coach or the players but I would argue that its both.

Just because the play would have worked if done perfectly doesn't necessarily make it a good play call.

The players have to make the play but the coach has to take into account the players that he has on the field.

Calling for a 60 yard field goal isn't a good play call if your kicker can only kick it 50
So when we've called pretty much every type of play there is out there to call, and our players execute them perfectly sometimes but then fail to execute them sometimes, then they are bad play calls? Like somebody else said, how can you predict what plays player X is going to fail his assignment on??

So when we've called pretty much every type of play there is out there to call, and our players execute them perfectly sometimes but then fail to execute them sometimes, then they are bad play calls? Like somebody else said, how can you predict what plays player X is going to fail his assignment on??
Were you around when Fridge was our OC? He knew how to call plays that fit the material on the field, and I can't recall a single game, even losses, where he didn't amaze us with the plays he threw in seemingly out of nowhere. He could read the field in ways P'Nut can't even dream of.

Back