#PITTvsGT Coach Collins Postgame Press Conference

I would recommend just ignoring his pressers. They keep to the same format and never provide much real insight. He will usually default to "we lost because of back luck / mental errors." Acknowledging any other deficiencies is too negative for his juice. It's a style thing that some love and some hate and it aint gonna change.
You might want to watch Thacker's presser then. I was surprised at how honest his assessment of our deficiencies and the results. He also took full responsibility. It was very un-CGC-like.

Were you around when Fridge was our OC? He knew how to call plays that fit the material on the field, and I can't recall a single game, even losses, where he didn't amaze us with the plays he threw in seemingly out of nowhere. He could read the field in ways P'Nut can't even dream of.
Yes I was. And I never said our OC is as good as Friedgen but the simple fact is I promise you Ralph would have a much harder time dialing up plays with an OL playing like ours currently is. He'd probably look like an idiot because nothing is working.

You're apparently missing the point. I've never been arguing that our OC is some super great world beater. My point has always been that it's too hard to tell. If you know football, and know how to watch, the plays are there on offense but we'll have one guy miss an assignment or miss a block or hold, and the majority of that is happening with the OL. It's extremely frustrating. Just like shown in the game replay thread, if either the C or G gets a block on that untouched DT that tips the first pass, that's a big gainer to Nate, possibly a TD. On the 2nd interception if the G gets out there and makes the kick out block, the DE doesn't get to Sims and hit his arm. That's another play where have Norris schemed wide open on a deep post. All Jeff has to do is hang it out there and it's a TD. The play where we scored the long pass with Nate was almost the exact same play, run to the opposite side and with a go route instead of a deep post. But folks see our offense struggle and always immediately jump to, "Our OC sucks."

Well, you might want to look into the details of that if true. Was he banned or did he just leave because the other board was toxic? Those details matter. If he left that was just his choice. If he was banned was he banned for a legitimate reason? I've been banned from two message boards for civil disagreements. One disagreement was with the guy that ran the cite and banned me after I told him I didn't wish to engage in debates with him anymore. The other I was banned because I told a mod I did not want to engage in debates or direct messages with him because I believed he was trying to bait me into a bogus ban. Both cites engaged in censorship of opinions primarily. Neither ban was a loss to me. If I get banned here similarly it won't be much of a loss either because that will just show this cite is just as flawed as those were. I do hope that won't be the case but time will tell. Cancel culture of opposing thought is mental cowardice and though I miss the banter with a few from both cites I don't miss the cites at all.
You say it wouldn't be a loss to you, but you felt the need to sign up for yet another forum to most likely engage in similar behavior.

Godspeed.

You're apparently missing the point. I've never been arguing that our OC is some super great world beater. My point has always been that it's too hard to tell. If you know football, and know how to watch, the plays are there on offense but we'll have one guy miss an assignment or miss a block or hold, and the majority of that is happening with the OL. It's extremely frustrating. Just like shown in the game replay thread, if either the C or G gets a block on that untouched DT that tips the first pass, that's a big gainer to Nate, possibly a TD. On the 2nd interception if the G gets out there and makes the kick out block, the DE doesn't get to Sims and hit his arm. That's another play where have Norris schemed wide open on a deep post. All Jeff has to do is hang it out there and it's a TD. The play where we scored the long pass with Nate was almost the exact same play, run to the opposite side and with a go route instead of a deep post. But folks see our offense struggle and always immediately jump to, "Our OC sucks."
Hmm... I think maybe you're the guy missing the point. OK, for the moment let's assume that you have correctly diagnosed a technical problem with execution or blocking or whatever. Now what? Are you going to send a note to the staff so they'll see something they didn't see before?

Identifying the "problem" also identifies the range of possible "solutions." If you were a player, then I'd say picking out specific failings on specific plays may be very educational for you. If you were on staff, then I'd say picking out specific tendencies among players may help you correct them. But as a fan, we have more attenuated options. Fire the guy responsible for not doing whatever it is that is needed to win.

So, here's my 2 cents now that we're on page 9 of the thread:
CGC is responsible for recruiting, practices, conditioning, choosing coordinators and staff, and ultimately the game-day coaching as well. We can all argue over what the team's problem is (playcalling, OL, defense, game management, on and on and on apparently), but in the end it is on CGC to find out the problem and fix it. We all know he's not going anywhere this year, but in the near future he will be judged by our W-L record, so if he doesn't perform it will take care of itself. and he'll be gone. I hope he is better at diagnosing things than this board. I also hope he does so and we start winning. I wish him the best of luck and will be here thick and thin. No need act like miserable old men in the meantime even (if you're like me) and are skeptical if we can have consistent short-medium term success as things sit now.

Yes I was. And I never said our OC is as good as Friedgen but the simple fact is I promise you Ralph would have a much harder time dialing up plays with an OL playing like ours currently is. He'd probably look like an idiot because nothing is working.
With the likes of Simms and our RB's, I think he would definitely have come up with something. Even our weak OL seems to be good enough to get it done in the middle of the field, so I don't think Fridge would have had any problems he couldn't overcome.

There’s definitely been an influx of long winded jerks of late, in addition to the ones that were already here. :-)

JRjr
I will take "long winded jerks" (and you probably consider me one) over the immature "yo momma" posts with sexual innuendos that some regularly post on here, and for which, as I have lately found out, is considered by many a good reason not to use this site.

With the likes of Simms and our RB's, I think he would definitely have come up with something. Even our weak OL seems to be good enough to get it done in the middle of the field, so I don't think Fridge would have had any problems he couldn't overcome.
It's possible he could've, but that's something we'll never know. As far as our OL getting it done in the middle of the field, refer back to my posts about redzone and inside the 10 yard line. OL deficiencies are much more prominent in those areas. A guy can miss a block or turn a defender loose, but with receivers running deeper routes and DB's having to cover, our QB and RB's have more room to make things happen. When you get down closer to the goal line, even if we don't have a missed assignment, if our OL gets pushed back some instead of getting a push, then you have LB's and DB's over the top that are now at the LOS. It makes it much tougher there.

LET. ME. TALK. REAL. SLOW. FOR. YOU.

I. AGREE. WE. HAVE. POOR. REDZONE. PERFORMANCE.

IT. ISN'T. BECAUSE. OF. PLAY. CALLING. OR. THE. OC.

IT. IS. BECAUSE. WE. CANT. BLOCK.
Some of our Fans can't help themselves.

For 11 straight years they've been drinking from a poisoned well that infected them with this idea that everything that happens in CFB is due to genius playcalls or a genius system, talented Players are just a plug-n-play afterthought, after all, "they all come highly recommended".

They fail to realize that in 2014 we had an exceptionally fast Guy at QB that ran a 4.4 or faster that simply outran many Flawed Playcalls and bad situations, but all credit went to the Genius In Residence on the Sidelines.

Once we had QBs with "more normal" speed, the unstoppable , genius plays seemed to cease and we turned into a boring QB Keeper Offense, that was losing to Duke with regularity at the End.

They seem to forget the Outpost Bowl Games where we lost in embarrassing fashion(doesn't mean score-wise) to Olé Miss and Air Force.

CPJ was money in the red zone. Just run 3O. We have the blueprint.
PJ was good when he had good players and defenses hadn’t figured out how to defend the TO. But the defenses did figure it out. And it was really easy to stuff his TO against his rosters that finished at the bottom of almost every single P5 team’s recruiting class every February. There’s a reason PJ “retired”. The ride was over.

PJ was good when he had good players and defenses hadn’t figured out how to defend the TO. But the defenses did figure it out. And it was really easy to stuff his TO against his rosters that finished at the bottom of almost every single P5 team’s recruiting class every February. There’s a reason PJ “retired”. The ride was over.
The NCAA also put restrictions on cut blocking, which was the core of his offense.

I listened to Collins's weekly press conference a few minutes ago. The first thing he blames the loss on is turnovers. Yes, the turnovers hurt, but they aren't the reason we lost the game. I'm not confident we will fix the main problems if our head coach isn't even identifying them.

The other things he flagged were penalties and 4th down situations, which again weren't the main reasons we lost.
Did he say if he was going to put on some pads and go practice with the team again?

You say it wouldn't be a loss to you, but you felt the need to sign up for yet another forum to most likely engage in similar behavior.

Godspeed.
What behavior? Care to be specific? Looking to engage Tech fans about Tech football. Same as I did at other sites before the pro staff gestapo couldn’t handle contrary opinions anymore. If you don’t like my posts ignore them and Godspeed to you as well.

Some of our Fans can't help themselves.

For 11 straight years they've been drinking from a poisoned well that infected them with this idea that everything that happens in CFB is due to genius playcalls or a genius system, talented Players are just a plug-n-play afterthought, after all, "they all come highly recommended".

They fail to realize that in 2014 we had an exceptionally fast Guy at QB that ran a 4.4 or faster that simply outran many Flawed Playcalls and bad situations, but all credit went to the Genius In Residence on the Sidelines.

Once we had QBs with "more normal" speed, the unstoppable , genius plays seemed to cease and we turned into a boring QB Keeper Offense, that was losing to Duke with regularity at the End.

They seem to forget the Outpost Bowl Games where we lost in embarrassing fashion(doesn't mean score-wise) to Olé Miss and Air Force.
For multiple reasons Im glad CPJ and the 3O are gone. His offenses were rarely the problem however. It was the defense primarily and a failure, for a multitude or reasons, to get/keep a good DC or recruit at a high level.

Water under the bridge now. But do you think anyone on the current staff will ever win a ACC championship game or an Orange Bowl? I highly doubt it.

I think Tech is gonna need a lot of luck to find a staff that can do so and I’m not certain the school would do what is necessary to keep such a staff if it does happen.

The NCAA also put restrictions on cut blocking, which was the core of his offense.

Was it cut blocking specifically or certain types of downfield blocking? I thought that complicated stuff about blocking back toward the play (like how we abused Kam Chancellor) or whatever was a big part of it?

JRjr

Was it cut blocking specifically or certain types of downfield blocking? I thought that complicated stuff about blocking back toward the play (like how we abused Kam Chancellor) or whatever was a big part of it?

JRjr
Football has gotten soft. It’s less fun to watch as every year passes. It’s okay to slobber knock a player in one scenario but not okay in a different scenario that results in the same impacts? That’s stupid. Like over protecting QBs. If they decide to tuck it and run they should be treated like every other ball carrier. But they aren’t.

Back