Players in the Portal [Official "They Gone" Thread]

Doesn’t matter. When Bama comes calling, you answer the phone. Our best players are going to get picked off on an annual basis going forward.
I didn't think he is that good. Is it a given he is going to Bama?

Sadly, one of my concerns has always been that the best and brightest on our team will get enticed to transfer to the big time for a chance at a Natty. Like Gibbs did last year. And Nate this year can likely transfer to a contender.

Factory farm team means it will never get better.

It will get better as our team gets better. It will never go sway completely, but it will definitely get better.

Keep in mind that having a coaching change after three and a half atrocious seasons is probably the worst situation to be in for losing people to the portal.

I'm sure NIL is a factor as well. He likely feels he will get an immediate payday.

Major thanks to Nate and his contributions to Tech. He was a gamer, for sure.

I didn't think he is that good. Is it a given he is going to Bama?

No, just using it as an example, ie Gibbs. He could land with any number of teams who are looking to add a seasoned player to give themselves a shot at the CFP.

That is a huge loss. Nate was a playmaker. I fear that if we don’t hire Key and I think we would have by now, we will lose the best players we have returning as they enter the portal. This is why you are ready to name your coach the day after the season ends - to give the new coach a chance to impress the better players and keep them on board.

At least with the pros, you know before the season this is the last year for X player cause he’s up for free agency. This Wild Wild West ööööery of transferring and NIL in college football you just sit and around and wait to be punched in the balls as a fan.

Get these kids’ multi year commitments or öööö off.

That is a huge loss. Nate was a playmaker. I fear that if we don’t hire Key and I think we would have by now, we will lose the best players we have returning as they enter the portal. This is why you are ready to name your coach the day after the season ends - to give the new coach a chance to impress the better players and keep them on board.
I'm disappointed we didn't have someone ready to announce yesterday.

Expect to see a lot more of it with a new coach coming in. This is going to be the new world of CFB.

Key would have a better chance of retaining players but even he would likely still have losses.
This makes me think that players are getting the feeling it isn't going to be Key. Didn't expect to lose Nate.

This makes me think that players are getting the feeling it isn't going to be Key. Didn't expect to lose Nate.

If you didn’t expect to lose the best WR on the team, you haven’t been paying attention. I doubt that the coaching situation had much to do with it. It’s just the ööööty state of college football now.

JRjr

Anyone with a brain knew he was leaving. The coaching search has nothing to do with it. This is all on Collins for making promises to these players he couldn’t keep. Players want to play on decent teams not dumpster fires. Jamal Haynes will fill the void nicely.

If you didn’t expect to lose the best WR on the team, you haven’t been paying attention. I doubt that the coaching situation had much to do with it. It’s just the ööööty state of college football now.

JRjr
True, but it isn't like he wasn't getting the ball. He was the go to guy. Hopefully we replace him with better or he withdraws his name if a coach is ever named.

If you want to go all-in conspiracy theory, players could declare they are going to the portal to try to pressure Batt to retain Key.

But I think @vapspwi is right and at least in this case the simplest answer is that McCollum can probably get a good role on a much better team with better chances to win and more visibility.

Back