Players in the Portal [Official "They Gone" Thread]

Any guesses or info on the # of players that enter the portal for a “better” program and wind up without a spot anywhere?

Curious. In this case, Nate should have no problem.
Hope he winds up where he never sees the field but receives his degree. Not ruin his life but make it as mediocre as possible.

Hope he winds up where he never sees the field but receives his degree. Not ruin his life but make it as mediocre as possible.

I don't wish him any ill will. He played well for us right up until the end and players have been leaving due to coaching changes for years.

Ouch. I wish him well as he played with a lot of effort in a dumpster fire of a situation.

I’m curious if there is any data on players entering the portal and ending up in a worse situation/not having a spot somewhere.

BUT! He did quit eventually! Which makes him a fukin quitter. You can get drafted here.

A bit of a difference between leaving AFTER the season and downing tools with several games left. Hard to question his effort when he was out there.

Any guesses or info on the # of players that enter the portal for a “better” program and wind up without a spot anywhere?

Curious. In this case, Nate should have no problem.
The number doesn't matter, its the quality that we lose. We lost a ton in the portal last year, the coach uncertainty is going to lead to more top talent leaving,. The players made it known who they wanted to play for.

Since scholarships are basically a contract, at some point schools need to add a buyout clause to make jumping to the portal more risky.

That will happen as soon as schools are allowed to pay players directly and the sport will be better off for it. Right now we kind of have the worst of both worlds: NIL means the game is essentially semipro, but schools hanging on to not paying players directly prevents them from doing things like this.

Really sucks. Was worried this was going to happen. He was our best player on offense by far.

Sadly, one of my concerns has always been that the best and brightest on our team will get enticed to transfer to the big time for a chance at a Natty. Like Gibbs did last year. And Nate this year can likely transfer to a contender.

Factory farm team means it will never get better.
If Z Pyron bolts, then that would essentially be the coup d grace of the CGC era.

Back