Players in the Portal [Official "They Gone" Thread]

No. Apparently Jason has been sitting on his ass this whole time and is completely unprepared to hire anyone
That's what I was afraid of. I'll be convinced otherwise if they announce Fritz as the coach on Sunday.

It does seem like rumors are coming out now, because it's only now we started interviewing people...

This is just the new norm in CFB with the portal and NIL. I hate losing #8, absolutely hate it, but I don’t blame the kid as he is looking to utilize the way the game is played now to maximize his potential and his wallet.

I don’t like the portal or NIL, it ruins continuity and player development (such as working with a young OL over 2-3 years). Now the portal is more important than recruiting as each year teams will go searching for hired guns to fill holes in the roster. The Ole Miss QB just entered the portal … it’s ridiculous.

If you want to go all-in conspiracy theory, players could declare they are going to the portal to try to pressure Batt to retain Key.

But I think @vapspwi is right and at least in this case the simplest answer is that McCollum can probably get a good role on a much better team with better chances to win and more visibility.
Ya. Key has been on staff when we’ve lost plenty of others to the portal.

If you want to go all-in conspiracy theory, players could declare they are going to the portal to try to pressure Batt to retain Key.

But I think @vapspwi is right and at least in this case the simplest answer is that McCollum can probably get a good role on a much better team with better chances to win and more visibility.
I think I saw a movie where something like that happened.

Dammit. Our best offensive player. 10 years ago, he's a superstar for us. Now? No telling where he goes.

The obvious solution is Mutual Transfers. Mutrans.

Schools can only accept a transfer if an eligible, consenting player can be found to transfer in return.

Or, f you want to get technical about it, "a trade"

Ya know what, I’m honestly tired of respecting anyones decisions if it’s just about getting theirs. He will get looks nice matter if it’s at Tech or anyone else. Good riddance

This sucks, but as a business decision, I get it. He should go find an offense with an established QB and put up some stats and showcase his abilities for the NFL.

I look forward to some day having a team that poaches players like this.

Any guesses or info on the # of players that enter the portal for a “better” program and wind up without a spot anywhere?

Curious. In this case, Nate should have no problem.

This absolutely sux. Whomever said it will get worse before it gets better is probably right. I can’t say I blame the kid, but doubt it’s just about who the new coach will be.

Back