Players in the Portal [Official "They Gone" Thread]

It seems like Sims is an "if only" athlete. For 3 years, it's been "if only" he could be more consistent, or "if only" he could stay healthy. He has the talent to be a great QB, but at some point, it you have to suspect that the problem is more about lack of motivation, rather than experience or coaching.

Sometimes -- not always, but sometimes -- a good coach or a better situation can fix motivation issues. I know there have been teams I've been on in the past where I wasn't motivated to work as hard or as well as I could for a variety of reasons, and I was still able to throw myself into my next job with intensity. Doesn't make it right, but it does happen.

I only feel like this because I also spent the past three years saying that if he could finally put it all together, he could be a truly great QB. He's going to get one more shot now and it will be interesting to see if it happens.

After four years of suffering and general lack of interest, next season is shaping up to be one with storylines abounding for Tech fans. Obviously with our own program, but also with seeing how Deion does and how Sims does under Rhule. Can't wait.

Baseball is pretty much an individual sport.
It really isn’t. You only bat 3 times a game, so you actually have to depend on your team. You can’t carry a trash team like you can in football or basketball. Take Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani for instance. The two best baseball players right now are on one of the worst team in baseball.

He was a guy at GT that for one up until this season had no real challengers and a HC that seemingly may have just kept cuddling him and not pushing him. Factor all that along with injuries he just didnt develop at clip of someone with his skill level should have

We got seemingly 2 great guys who can have a big hand on pur QB development now in Weinke and Buster... King and Pyron have a real chance to get guidance and develop may the best man win.

It really isn’t. You only bat 3 times a game, so you actually have to depend on your team. You can’t carry a trash team like you can in football or basketball. Take Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani for instance. The two best baseball players right now are on one of the worst team in baseball.

But it's still mostly individual performances without the need to build chemistry on the field (excepting the pitcher/catcher relationship of course.)

If a guy is raking in baseball it doesn't really matter if he only cares about his own stats. It's not going to make the other players hit better or worse for the most part. Players are very plug-and-play in that you can drop them into a new lineup without worrying too much about the fit.

But if a point guard in basketball is super good but only cares about himself and refuses to pass the ball, it can tank the whole team. Or if the OL in football doesn't communicate well or feel they can depend on each other, they won't be effective against blitzes. It's much more of a team game in terms of needing to work together as a cohesive unit on the court/field.

But it's still mostly individual performances without the need to build chemistry on the field (excepting the pitcher/catcher relationship of course.)

If a guy is raking in baseball it doesn't really matter if he only cares about his own stats. It's not going to make the other players hit better or worse for the most part. Players are very plug-and-play in that you can drop them into a new lineup without worrying too much about the fit.

But if a point guard in basketball is super good but only cares about himself and refuses to pass the ball, it can tank the whole team. Or if the OL in football doesn't communicate well or feel they can depend on each other, they won't be effective against blitzes. It's much more of a team game in terms of needing to work together as a cohesive unit on the court/field.
I mean sure, but if the entire team sucks and one guy is good, he can't carry

Not really. It's a sport were a 'perfect game' is no one gets a hit. The game only gets interesting when it is played poorly. Back when my dad used to watch games on TV you would see fans in the stands reading the newspaper because the game was so boring.
It's just bc nobody understands the game. And a game is fun when you get a back and forth 10-11 game too. It's at least much better than soccer.

I mean sure, but if the entire team sucks and one guy is good, he can't carry
But your performance in baseball has almost 0 impact on your teammates play because the game is reliant on individual performances. A baseball player is rarely, if ever accountable, for how his teammates perform. Trout or Ohtani can be the best player in baseball, and post historic numbers, on terrible teams.

In football the RB or QB will almost never have a successful play/game/season if the OL whiffs a block, or WR drops passes. So the performance of one, directly impacts the success of others. It football, or even, basketball, your hear a lot more about player accountability and doing your job.

Back