POLL: What is the probability we beat Clemson in 2022

What is the probability we beat Clemson in 2022

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Their offensive production in the second half of the 2021 season was dramatically better than the first half. Ours improved as well, but not as much on the whole. The two shutouts obviously made the second half average much worse, but we did show some life on O in the second half.

Their offensive woes appeared to be primarily the QB, who did show improvement over the season. Our offensive woes stemmed from poor line play and predictable playcalling (obviously related). Basically, we have bigger question marks than they do.
The two shutouts also occurred without our starting QB.

The two shutouts also occurred without our starting QB.

That is true. It is also true that our backup qb started against the best defenses we faced (excluding KSU) all year.

Our offense did improve, but Clemson’s improved more. That is why the answer to ibb question was that Clemson’s offense had already shown improvement at their weak spot while we showed some improvement but have more unknowns.

Like addressing their depth issues by not utilizing the portal?
Just out of curiosity, what depth issues does Clemson have at the moment? I seriously would like to know. They are flat out loaded on D, especially along the DL, which has already been regarded as the best in the country. There is significant depth at QB, RB, WR, etc on O.

Because Dabo has said he would rather keep signing H.S. prospects instead of using the Portal is a negative because…Why?

Because you’re a former player, please provide your opinion of one position group GT has that’s better than Clemson at the moment? I’m curious.

That is true. It is also true that our backup qb started against the best defenses we faced (excluding KSU) all year.

Our offense did improve, but Clemson’s improved more. That is why the answer to ibb question was that Clemson’s offense had already shown improvement at their weak spot while we showed some improvement but have more unknowns.
Fair enough. I still just don't buy that Clemson's offense improved that much. It was still their defense that won them games.

2nd half of season:
Pitt - against Pitt they had 250 yards total offense and 10 points midway thru the 4th quarter when they finally scored their last trash time TD. We did have 432 yards and 3 scores on Pitt, and doubtful that we would have won, but if we didn't gift them 2 TD's in the first 5 minutes, that game could've gone much differently.

FSU - FSU gave up average 377 ypg for the year, Clemson had 377 yards. FSU gave up average 26.5 points per game for the year, Clemson had 24 before the last play of the game where they had a sack/scoop/score play. Folks forget that FSU was up 20-17 until 3 mins to go in that game.

Louisville - gave up average 401 ypg, Clemson had 345 yards offense. Clemson trailed that game until 4 mins to go. When they finally took the lead 27-24, Louisville didn't move the ball at all, went for it on 4th down and turned it back over to Clemson at the 25 for a pretty much freebie FG. Louisville then drove down the field and has a 1st and goal at Clemson 2yd line with 1 min left and failed to convert on 4 downs.

UConn - it's UConn and they had the #115 defense in the country. Don't need to say anymore.

Wake - Sure they put up a lot of yards and points on Wake but so did a lot of other teams. Wake wins with offense and again Clemson's D won them that game. Louisville, UNC, Syracuse, and Army all put up over 500 yards of offense on Wake. NC state almost did.

South Carolina - Again defense pitched a shutout and makes offense much easier. Offense scored two touchdowns and the rest FG's until the last TD came from the 25 yard line after USCe turned it over there on downs late in the 4th.

Even in the Bowl game against Iowa State, Clemson had 13 offensive points and an interception return for a TD to win by 7.

At best Clemson's offense performed to the average of what the opposing defense allowed for the year, even over those last 7 games.

You're using Clemson's game against UGA last year as the main measuring stick for them but I can't use our game against them as one?
It doesn't matter what this board thinks. There are also many that think we are capable of turning it around with the changes made. Their D should be better this year but so should our O.

OL and DL should both be better. OL was patchwork at best last year with guys getting injured left and right. We may not have as much experience on the OL but we have more talent there now and the experience we had didn't seem too great to me so that should be an upgrade. The 3 transfers you mention all were just in their 2nd year at each location and would just now be seeing PT there anyway, they weren't just backups, they had upperclassmen ahead of them. Franklin was baptized by fire last year and got some good game experience.

As far as DL goes, we should be better there as well. Everybody keeps saying we lost our best DL player to Ole Miss, but Kyle Kennard quietly graded out as our best DE last year. Keion White is healthy this year. Sylvain is healthy again. Josh Robinson hit a big growth spurt and started showing flashes last year. Kevin Harris has had a full year in the program now and maybe he will live up to the billing. At DT we have Zeek back healthy with a year of PT, strength training and development, TK back fully healthy, Makius Scott, Akelo Stone, and D'Quan Douse all with another year under their belts and we have transfer Daniel Carson for depth as well as two 4* freshman that could see PT.

Sure it went to OT but NC State dominated Clemson last year. They held Clemson to 214 offensive yards and while they had 386 yards, 31 first downs, and DOUBLE the time of possession Clemson had. They just couldn't score either. Had a fumble while driving, missed 2 FGs that game also although they were long attempts.

As far as GT getting to 6-6? If we had any semblance of a kicking game and could score in the red zone we could've easily won 6 last year. All it takes is one FG against NIU, score one TD on how many goal line attempts vs Clemson? Make the FG against Miami and we're tied. That could potentially be 6 there. How many times did we not even try FG's inside 30 yards because we couldn't make them? I know twice against VT in the 4th quarter.

All I'm saying is it there's plenty of reasons that we can be optimistic about the upcoming season and even against Clemson. We'll see soon enough if any of the changes made this off-season worked or not. Maybe the will, maybe not.
I didn’t use the UGA loss by Clemson as any kind of measuring stick for Clemson. They don’t have one at the moment. NC’s, CFP’s speak for themselves. They are a top 5 program.

You think GT’s O should be better, and I don’t disagree. That said, Clemson’s will also be better. Add in a potential #1 defense, and I think you’re getting ahead of yourself.

The NIU loss was more than just the kicker. Tech turned the ball over quite a few times. The game should never have come down to NIU going for 2 and getting it to win in the first place. I’ll take your word on the Miami and VT games, because truthfully I didn’t watch a single snap the rest of the year after the Clemson game.

The GT DL has been an issue for a long time now. Your optimism is good, but I’ll take a wait and see approach.

Teams don’t generally ”dominate” a team and go into OT. And if I’m not mistaken, Clemson had a chance to win in regulation. NCSU fumbling, missing FG’s are a part of the game. Yards and t.o.p are great, but the scoreboard is all that matters.

I’ll end it with this. I think you’re kidding yourself if you think GT wins Labor Day night. Clemson and UGA are the 2 easy predictions when looking at the schedule. I think Ole Miss and Pitt are the next 2 toughest games, followed by UNC, Miami, UCF, FSU. The 2 Virginia schools have their own set of problems, and Duke rounds it out.

I’ll go with the optimistic prediction of 5-7.

W’s: WCU, @ UCF, Duke, UVA, @ FSU

L’s: Clemson, Ole Miss, @ Pitt, @ VT, Miami, @ UNC, @ UGA

The make or break games are @ FSU, @ VT, @ UNC.

Question is, will 5-7 be enough to earn Collins a 5th year? Unless they can go down to Jackson State and get Sanders, I say yes.

Just out of curiosity, what depth issues does Clemson have at the moment? I seriously would like to know. They are flat out loaded on D, especially along the DL, which has already been regarded as the best in the country. There is significant depth at QB, RB, WR, etc on O.

Because Dabo has said he would rather keep signing H.S. prospects instead of using the Portal is a negative because…Why?

Because you’re a former player, please provide your opinion of one position group GT has that’s better than Clemson at the moment? I’m curious.

QB: Significant depth? Behind your 55% passer is True Freshman & Hunter Johnson

WR: Since returning production is the lynch pin of the convo. A lot of unproven WR in their top 3. Returning a combined 48 catches this

That makes you feel you good?

They are loaded on the DL but replacing key leaders like Spector & Skalski. Barrett Carter & Trotter are highly rated but only 179 & 59 snaps compared to 1300 by the others combined.

Secondary are replacing 3 starters as well.

I’m theory, you want the next man up attitude and believe injuries won’t happened but that’s not realistic, but if he thinks depending on a Drew Swinney or Klubinak when keep things afloat then more power to him

The NIU loss was more than just the kicker. Tech turned the ball over quite a few times.
We lost one fumble that game. To start the 2nd quarter. NIU gained 2 yards on three plays and punted. To our goal line. We went 97 yards on 17 plays for a touchdown. That was the extent of our turnovers. We had two 3 and outs and held them on six three and outs. We had better TOP, more rushing yards, more passing yards. We gave up four sacks and missed three field goals. It was the kicker(s).

I didn’t use the UGA loss by Clemson as any kind of measuring stick for Clemson. They don’t have one at the moment. NC’s, CFP’s speak for themselves. They are a top 5 program.

You think GT’s O should be better, and I don’t disagree. That said, Clemson’s will also be better. Add in a potential #1 defense, and I think you’re getting ahead of yourself.

The NIU loss was more than just the kicker. Tech turned the ball over quite a few times. The game should never have come down to NIU going for 2 and getting it to win in the first place. I’ll take your word on the Miami and VT games, because truthfully I didn’t watch a single snap the rest of the year after the Clemson game.

The GT DL has been an issue for a long time now. Your optimism is good, but I’ll take a wait and see approach.

Teams don’t generally ”dominate” a team and go into OT. And if I’m not mistaken, Clemson had a chance to win in regulation. NCSU fumbling, missing FG’s are a part of the game. Yards and t.o.p are great, but the scoreboard is all that matters.

I’ll end it with this. I think you’re kidding yourself if you think GT wins Labor Day night. Clemson and UGA are the 2 easy predictions when looking at the schedule. I think Ole Miss and Pitt are the next 2 toughest games, followed by UNC, Miami, UCF, FSU. The 2 Virginia schools have their own set of problems, and Duke rounds it out.

I’ll go with the optimistic prediction of 5-7.

W’s: WCU, @ UCF, Duke, UVA, @ FSU

L’s: Clemson, Ole Miss, @ Pitt, @ VT, Miami, @ UNC, @ UGA

The make or break games are @ FSU, @ VT, @ UNC.

Question is, will 5-7 be enough to earn Collins a 5th year? Unless they can go down to Jackson State and get Sanders, I say yes.
All fair points. I don't predict a GT win against Clemson at the moment, but I do believe we will have a puncher's chance if we improve, even if they do too. In my opinion, I wouldn't consider a 5-7 season "optimistic." I think 6+ wins and a bowl game is on the optimistic side but I believe we can get there. I don't see Pitt, VT, or UNC as automatic L's. Pitt has a strong OL but lost Pickett and Addison. That's not easy production to replace. VT I think is going to take a while to come back around. UNC lost Howell and we beat them with him. Ole Miss' defense was nearly as bad as ours and they lost a bunch of guys on that side of the ball too so that one could be winnable also.

As far as the NC State Clemson game, yes I still stand by my opinion that Clemson was dominated in that game. Clemson did not have a chance to win that game in regulation. NC State did. Clemson scored to tie it at 14 with 10 minutes left in the game. NC State drove it down to the Clemson 34 after that and missed a FG. Clemson went 3 and out, NC state got the ball back drove down to Clemson's 22 and missed another FG as time expired. They also missed a FG in the first half after intercepting Clemson. That was Clemson's only turnover and NC State doubled their TOP (42 minutes to 18), had 31 first downs to Clemsons 10, and 386 yards to Clemson's 214. 386 offensive yards and 31 first downs with only 14 points in regulation means they just didn't execute and score when they should have in regulation.

I think we cover the line if its still 19 but hard to see a win.
last year Clemson was carried by defense . this year their O is a question mark like ours. That true frosh QB was #1 HS in the country but i doubt he's ready for game1...theres some reason why cbs preseason ranks clemson at 5 and GT at 96th.

QB: Significant depth? Behind your 55% passer is True Freshman & Hunter Johnson

WR: Since returning production is the lynch pin of the convo. A lot of unproven WR in their top 3. Returning a combined 48 catches this

That makes you feel you good?

They are loaded on the DL but replacing key leaders like Spector & Skalski. Barrett Carter & Trotter are highly rated but only 179 & 59 snaps compared to 1300 by the others combined.

Secondary are replacing 3 starters as well.

I’m theory, you want the next man up attitude and believe injuries won’t happened but that’s not realistic, but if he thinks depending on a Drew Swinney or Klubinak when keep things afloat then more power to him
So a 5* true freshman combined with a former 5* backup (Johnson) isn't significant depth? If I recall there have been quite a few true freshman QB’s that have had success in recent memory. Trevor Lawrence, Jake Fromm, Spencer Rattler, Caleb Williams, Bryce Young, Jalen Hurts all come to mind.

The remaining positions WR, secondary are all 4-5* talent. The poor pass protection from a young OL combined with DJ regressing was the difference in the passing game last year. DJ will have a couple games to prove himself to start the year. His seat is definitely warm.

Flip side with GT, you’re satisfied with depth behind Sims? Former Clemson backup, Akron transfer and a 4* true freshman?

Clemson’s only real questions are one of many GT has. OC / DC.

We lost one fumble that game. To start the 2nd quarter. NIU gained 2 yards on three plays and punted. To our goal line. We went 97 yards on 17 plays for a touchdown. That was the extent of our turnovers. We had two 3 and outs and held them on six three and outs. We had better TOP, more rushing yards, more passing yards. We gave up four sacks and missed three field goals. It was the kicker(s).
You’re correct on 98% of this, except for one big exception. GT lined up for a FG from the 2 yl down 14-7 in the 2nd quarter. Fans booed, Collins changed his mind, TD was ruled out of bounds on 4th down, turnover. So there’s the chip shot FG that would have won the game in all likelihood.

All fair points. I don't predict a GT win against Clemson at the moment, but I do believe we will have a puncher's chance if we improve, even if they do too. In my opinion, I wouldn't consider a 5-7 season "optimistic." I think 6+ wins and a bowl game is on the optimistic side but I believe we can get there. I don't see Pitt, VT, or UNC as automatic L's. Pitt has a strong OL but lost Pickett and Addison. That's not easy production to replace. VT I think is going to take a while to come back around. UNC lost Howell and we beat them with him. Ole Miss' defense was nearly as bad as ours and they lost a bunch of guys on that side of the ball too so that one could be winnable also.

As far as the NC State Clemson game, yes I still stand by my opinion that Clemson was dominated in that game. Clemson did not have a chance to win that game in regulation. NC State did. Clemson scored to tie it at 14 with 10 minutes left in the game. NC State drove it down to the Clemson 34 after that and missed a FG. Clemson went 3 and out, NC state got the ball back drove down to Clemson's 22 and missed another FG as time expired. They also missed a FG in the first half after intercepting Clemson. That was Clemson's only turnover and NC State doubled their TOP (42 minutes to 18), had 31 first downs to Clemsons 10, and 386 yards to Clemson's 214. 386 offensive yards and 31 first downs with only 14 points in regulation means they just didn't execute and score when they should have in regulation.
Fair enough as well. As far as Pitt goes, I think you’re forgetting they have a proven QB in transfer Slovis from USC.

Ole Miss did lose some talent on O, but replaced it with 4* QB Dart, 4* RB Evans, 4* TE Trigg, 4* TE Pegeus, 4* RB Parrish, 4* OL Brooks, 4* WR Robinson, 3* RB Bentley from the portal. Bentley was very productive at SMU.

I think everyone on the schedule minus UGA, Clemson and Ole Miss are beatable. Just have to weather the early storm. Beating UCF is extremely critical.

Lol Hunter Johnson is going to his 5th season and has less than 1100yds pass on 55% passing. Yes i would take GT QB room currently

Their OL isnt expected to take huge jump either yet since they have 4-5* WRs & DBs, they are expected to get the benefit of the doubt unlike us?

Georgia Tech will beat Clemson, and the pundits will laud the virtues of Geoff Collins and the program--launching Tech into the top 20. Then, Tech will proceed to crap the bed and everyone will laugh at the weak ACC. The conference schools with collectively vote to do away with the gain of rights and everyone will bolt to whatever conference will take them. Tech will be end up in the AAC as a result, but not before Stansbury brexits the program from COFH.
Does you mom go down as easily as you do?

Clemson lost their coordinators. I think they’re going to be down this year even worse than last year. Conversely we will be up and we should’ve won last year anyway.

Lol Hunter Johnson is going to his 5th season and has less than 1100yds pass on 55% passing. Yes i would take GT QB room currently

Their OL isnt expected to take huge jump either yet since they have 4-5* WRs & DBs, they are expected to get the benefit of the doubt unlike us?
You may be the only one who would take GT’s group of QB’s over 3 5* QB’s. Sims is on year 3, and last season showed flashes of progress. But there was also the combination of injuries and fumbles. Gibson had a solid year at Akron. Taisun threw 19 passes at Clemson.

History is on the side of Clemson based on talent in place and coaching. That has yet to be proven by this staff. Does that help answer the question? A backup OL for Clemson is expected to be a key transfer / starter for GT.

As someone who is hated by this fan base said last year “Guys, if you don’t recruit, there’s no coach out there who can out-coach recruiting,” Smart said in his postgame press conference. “I don’t care who you are. The best coach to ever play the game better be a good recruiter because no coaching is going to out-coach players.”

End of the day, talent 90% of the time wins games against teams with lesser talent. Especially in the modern era of CFB.

Clemson lost their coordinators. I think they’re going to be down this year even worse than last year. Conversely we will be up and we should’ve won last year anyway.
And what exactly did Tony Elliot do as the OC at Clemson last year? Yet they still won 10 games with the worst offense Clemson has had probably since Dabo took over.

Clemson’s schedule:
@ GT
Furman
La Tech
@ Wake
NCSU
@ BC
@ FSU
Cuse
@ ND
UofL
Miami
South Carolina

On paper, Clemson’s top 5 games are ND, NCSU, Miami and probably Wake and FSU.

Not sure how they don’t win 10 games again. Flip side, GT probably has a high water mark of 7. I predicted 5 wins.

If Clemson loses more than 1 game, the ACC is 98.9% likely eliminated from CFP consideration.

Back