POLL: What is the probability we beat Clemson in 2022

What is the probability we beat Clemson in 2022

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You’re correct on 98% of this, except for one big exception. GT lined up for a FG from the 2 yl down 14-7 in the 2nd quarter. Fans booed, Collins changed his mind, TD was ruled out of bounds on 4th down, turnover. So there’s the chip shot FG that would have won the game in all likelihood.
Looks like your having fun with percentages, 98% to be precise. All likelihood? We had already missed two field goals (and went on to miss a third). The correct play was to go for the touchdown immediately. I'll give you the 2%, but it was coach's error (which we've become all too accustomed to seeing). 'In all likelihood' we would have scored if we had lined up for a touchdown, instead of calling a timeout and letting NIU regroup. That still has absolutely nothing to do with your comment about turnovers.

This is the weird logic that simply amazes

What assumption can be made that they fixed their offense but we haven’t fixed our offense?
11 straight 10+ win seasons doesn't influence your thinking at all?
Those weren't Dabo's first OC and DC.
3 straight 3 win seasons influences some expectations don't you think?

We almost beat Clemson last year. We definitely have a shot this year. 20 percent.
Not sure we “almost beat them.” We were a touchdown, 2 point conversion and an overtime score away. So we needed to punch it in the end zone 3 more times during a game we punched it in the end zone exactly 0 times.

We were definitely competitive for 4 quarters, and befuddled their offense/QB throughout the game.

11 straight 10+ win seasons doesn't influence your thinking at all?
Those weren't Dabo's first OC and DC.
3 straight 3 win seasons influences some expectations don't you think?
FWIW, Venables had been there since 2012 so that's 10 years. Scott and Elliott were co-OC's for 15-19, then Elliott by himself the last 2 years. Offense was still good in 2020 but they still had Trevor too. Tony's offense last year without Trevor looked abysmal. So that's basically 7+ years with same OC and DC. Now both are gone and they are still just promoting from within on both sides of the ball. I just don't see how it can really get much better when you just keep promoting guys that were behind those guys already.

In this thread we have folks who are optimistic that we will beat a team that won more games last year than we have won in three years. If you add their recruiting rankings for the last five years it totals 35. In the last five years we have one class that ranked below 35. I hope we beat the öööö out of them in a few weeks but reality is a bitch.

By the way, Clemson S Lannden Zanders is stepping away from football.

In this thread we have folks who are optimistic that we will beat a team that won more games last year than we have won in three years. If you add their recruiting rankings for the last five years it totals 35. In the last five years we have one class that ranked below 35. I hope we beat the öööö out of them in a few weeks but reality is a bitch.
Over that same 5 year span we have recruited the same or better than both Louisville and NC State. NC State beat them last year and is expected to challenge them for the Atlantic this season. Louisville should have beaten them last year - never trailed in the game until 4 minutes to go and gave up 13 points in 4th quarter to lose by 6. Both of those teams (and HC's) we have beaten with our talent and HC. We have some new coaches on both sides of the ball and fresh faces on units that struggled last year, so there's plenty of room for optimism.

Maybe we should just play the games on paper using the recruiting rankings, and declare winners and losers that way, instead of all that running around, blocking and tackling on the football field.
That's the problem. We haven't done much running around, blocking or tackling. We sure can dance though!

Looks like your having fun with percentages, 98% to be precise. All likelihood? We had already missed two field goals (and went on to miss a third). The correct play was to go for the touchdown immediately. I'll give you the 2%, but it was coach's error (which we've become all too accustomed to seeing). 'In all likelihood' we would have scored if we had lined up for a touchdown, instead of calling a timeout and letting NIU regroup. That still has absolutely nothing to do with your comment about turnovers.
I had already admitted I was wrong about the TO’s, while you completely blamed the loss on the kicking game, in which less than a PAT length FG in the 2nd quarter would have in all likelihood won the game.

Well, 2 losses were by 3 or less, one was by 5, and another was by 8. So I’d say pretty ööööing close.
The loss by NIU has been well discussed. Inexcusable. The Miami game final few possession’s when down 3 looked like this:
3 plays, 5 yards - punt.
6 plays, 5 yards - punt.
4 plays, -1 yard - turnover on downs.

GT never came close to either the tie or win once Miami took the lead.

UVA was up 41-24, GT made it 48-40 and had a pass to the EZ to get a chance for a 2 pt conversion as time expired. Didn’t connect, loss by 8.

That’s not as close as you thought to winning those 2 games. I think you also forgot how close GT was to losing to Duke. Late game TD, and Duke still had a chance with under 20 seconds left down 4.

Maybe we should just play the games on paper using the recruiting rankings, and declare winners and losers that way, instead of all that running around, blocking and tackling on the football field.
Have you looked around at the landscape of CFB for the last decade plus? It’s dominated by teams with top 5-10 recruiting classes. Alabama, tOSU, Clemson, UGA, ND, Oklahoma. Add in LSU’s elite class that produced an NC with the transfer in of Burrow. GT is around 40-50.

If you truly think coaching is all that matters, and that recruiting isn’t a big deal, then you must have forgotten about the games Johnson had against Clemson, UGA, ND near the end. It wasn’t even close. And I think most people would say Johnson is one helluva X & O’s coach.

The loss by NIU has been well discussed. Inexcusable. The Miami game final few possession’s when down 3 looked like this:
3 plays, 5 yards - punt.
6 plays, 5 yards - punt.
4 plays, -1 yard - turnover on downs.

GT never came close to either the tie or win once Miami took the lead.

UVA was up 41-24, GT made it 48-40 and had a pass to the EZ to get a chance for a 2 pt conversion as time expired. Didn’t connect, loss by 8.

That’s not as close as you thought to winning those 2 games. I think you also forgot how close GT was to losing to Duke. Late game TD, and Duke still had a chance with under 20 seconds left down 4.
Thanks for the extra details as to why those games were winnable.

Just FYI Clemson seat locations are visible now within your online ticket account.

Let me be the first to bitch that at home I sit in the back of lower east on the 25 yard line (right by the club seats), but for this game I’m 11 rows off the field in the back corner of the end zone. öööö you, TStan and CGC, for selling out the fans in a dubious attempt to chase a buck.

JRjr

QB: Significant depth? Behind your 55% passer is True Freshman & Hunter Johnson

WR: Since returning production is the lynch pin of the convo. A lot of unproven WR in their top 3. Returning a combined 48 catches this

That makes you feel you good?

They are loaded on the DL but replacing key leaders like Spector & Skalski. Barrett Carter & Trotter are highly rated but only 179 & 59 snaps compared to 1300 by the others combined.

Secondary are replacing 3 starters as well.

I’m theory, you want the next man up attitude and believe injuries won’t happened but that’s not realistic, but if he thinks depending on a Drew Swinney or Klubinak when keep things afloat then more power to him
Seems like they have created a pipeline similar to Alabama, or just about done establishing that.

Unlike us, the unproven talent for them is generally a well regarded and 4 or 5 start recruit.

The problem with the portal is that it's created a situation where lower level programs find diamonds in the rough, or really put everything into getting one or two good recruits (think Gibbs) then the next year or two the factories basically trade us their failed (overrated) 4 star and sometimes 5 star players (the 5 star D-line player we got from UF who provided minimal substance) for a college ready beast.

The factories have so many 4 and 5 star players that they can afford to be wrong (which has been the case before the portal). Now they essentially have an insurance program to shore up the 10-20% misses on overrated recruits with all expenses paid by the likes of us.

That's why this stupid "recruiting our way to success" experiment is failing and will continue to fail under our current clown show.

Let me be the first to bitch that at home I sit in the back of lower east on the 25 yard line (right by the club seats), but for this game I’m 11 rows off the field in the back corner of the end zone. öööö you, TStan and CGC, for selling out the fans in a dubious attempt to chase a buck.

JRjr
Looks like those are offered for $120 now on Stubhub. You probably paid the same but also the AT fund contribution for season tickets. I'm sure some of the factory programs can get away with treating season ticket holders like that, but our AA should be buying you beer and hot dogs for sticking with them, as well as making sure you get comparable seats for a "home game".

Would one of you brainiacs please explain this part of the post:

ESPN Pre-Season FPI Rank: 107
FPI Differential: +11.9
Win Probability: 86.10%

The subject is GT vs Clemson, but we have an FPI of -0.4 with a ranking of 66, Clemson FPI is 22.8 and has a ranking of 4, WCU does not have an FPI that I can find. Our win probability against Clemson is 5.7%, against WCU 99.2% (uh oh).

So I see for GT vs Clemson being the subject:
ESPN FPI rank: 66 GT, 4 Clemson
FPI differential: 23.2
Win probability: 5.7% GT, 94.3% Clemson
Not that it will sway any votes, but what's with the numbers?

I had a typo there. Forgot to update the numbers.

I wish someone would start a poll: What is the probability our Unis are Better than Clemson's in 2022?

Back