POLL: What is the probability we beat Clemson in 2022

What is the probability we beat Clemson in 2022

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let me be the first to bitch that at home I sit in the back of lower east on the 25 yard line (right by the club seats), but for this game I’m 11 rows off the field in the back corner of the end zone. öööö you, TStan and CGC, for selling out the fans in a dubious attempt to chase a buck.

JRjr
We don't control the tickets because this is not our home game. It's the kickoff classic or something to do with the Peach Bowl, I don't remember. We get half of the leftover tickets and clemmons gets half.

We don't control the tickets because this is not our home game. It's the kickoff classic or something to do with the Peach Bowl, I don't remember. We get half of the leftover tickets and clemmons gets half.

But the tickets were part of the season ticket package so seats should be comparable to those at BDS. Another AD fail.

But the tickets were part of the season ticket package so seats should be comparable to those at BDS. Another AD fail.
Everyone that has season tickets to lower east and west at BDS makes up more than just half the lower bowl at MBS. Clemson gets half and we get half, so some had to be in the EZ. I'm sure your BDS seats and A-T points, etc. are factored in. Not just where your seats are. When we have an actual "home" game in MBS like the UNC game last year, I bet your seats were comparable or better than your regular season ticket seats. Mine were.

I understand that, but we traded what was supposed to be a home game for this privilege, a deal that looks dumber with everything we learn about it.

JRjr

Everyone that has season tickets to lower east and west at BDS makes up more than just half the lower bowl at MBS. Clemson gets half and we get half, so some had to be in the EZ. I'm sure your BDS seats and A-T points, etc. are factored in. Not just where your seats are. When we have an actual "home" game in MBS like the UNC game last year, I bet your seats were comparable or better than your regular season ticket seats. Mine were.

As I said, I understand that (although my UNC seats were a bit of a downgrade, too), but the point is that giving up a home game for a neutral site, reduced capacity, Monday night game against what should be a marquee opponent seems like a really bad deal for Tech and for me as a fan.

JRjr

Last edited:
This is a great deal for Clemson and a lousy deal for us. I suspect we are netting less money than we would have if the game had stayed at Grant Field.

I’m not sure how the TV revenue gets shared, but being the only college game on Monday, and playing during prime time with a national audience probably had a role in giving up the home game perks. We might be making a sacrifice for the conference, but that’s nothing new.

Clemson results are in:

2022 Probability: 0.278

And previous years:

2021 Probability: 0.234
2019 Probability: 0.230

I think this speaks more to the perception of Clemson being down this year than us being better, but I guess we will find out soon enough.

Clemson results are in:

2022 Probability: 0.278

And previous years:

2021 Probability: 0.234
2019 Probability: 0.230

I think this speaks more to the perception of Clemson being down this year than us being better, but I guess we will find out soon enough.
We were one missed block (by an OL) from beating them last year. One g d block.

We won’t make the same mistake this year.

We are going to beat Clemson.

I'm sure we get the same deal that every other team gets that plays in this game. It's weird. I remember when Tech fans would complain about not being invited to this game enough and some even saying that we should be playing in it at least every other year because of recruiting (wanting to keep other teams out of the area). Now, it seems, some fans don't want it because it is a bad deal.
I understand that, but we traded what was supposed to be a home game for this privilege, a deal that looks dumber with everything we learn about it.

JRjr

I'm sure we get the same deal that every other team gets that plays in this game. It's weird. I remember when Tech fans would complain about not being invited to this game enough and some even saying that we should be playing in it at least every other year because of recruiting (wanting to keep other teams out of the area). Now, it seems, some fans don't want it because it is a bad deal.
A far as I know we are the only school to give up a home game to participate. If so, we should have been given more and better tickets than Clemson.

We gave up a home game that would likely have made us more money than playing in this game (a CFA game that’s playing second fiddle to the main event on Saturday, to boot) when the whole M-B thing was pitched as “home games in the dome to make us a bunch more money.” If you can’t understand why people are annoyed with how this worked out, then “I guess you just don’t want to see it.”

JRjr

We gave up a home game that would likely have made us more money than playing in this game (a CFA game that’s playing second fiddle to the main event on Saturday, to boot) when the whole M-B thing was pitched as “home games in the dome to make us a bunch more money.” If you can’t understand why people are annoyed with how this worked out, then “I guess you just don’t want to see it.”

JRjr
So just as many GT or Clemson fans will be in attendance on Labor Day night whether the game is played in MBS or BDS. Not sure what you think GT is giving up here? In this case it’s different vs the game against UNC last year. This is a part of the CFA KO series, that is more $$ regardless of losing a so called home game.

So just as many GT or Clemson fans will be in attendance on Labor Day night whether the game is played in MBS or BDS. Not sure what you think GT is giving up here? In this case it’s different vs the game against UNC last year. This is a part of the CFA KO series, that is more $$ regardless of losing a so called home game.
I do not believe we are getting more money. Do you have the accounting analysis including parking and concessions.

This has been discussed at length already. What we’re giving up is the full gate, parking, and concessions from selling as many of 55K tickets as we can for a season opener against a ranked rival on the opening Saturday of the season, versus taking our share of the payout in a 42K seat stadium for a game played at 8p on a Monday night while forcing the few season ticket supporters we have left into öööötier seats than they have at BDS.

We all understand the difference between this game and the UNC game (although it’s part of the same deal) - we’ve been discussing it off and on for months. What we’re getting out of this game is not what we were sold, like many of the other recent football moves.

JRjr

I do not believe we are getting more money. Do you have the accounting analysis including parking and concessions.
Here is a note from the website when Oregon-Georgia was announced:

”The Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game averages more than 68,887 fans for each game – higher than 36 bowl games from last year – and an additional 67 million television viewers since 2008. Total team payouts average $5.2 million – higher than 26 bowl games last season – with more than $67 million in payouts over its history.”

So while I doubt it’s $5.2 million, I’m sure GT will be getting plenty of $$ for this game.

This has been discussed at length already. What we’re giving up is the full gate, parking, and concessions from selling as many of 55K tickets as we can for a season opener against a ranked rival on the opening Saturday of the season, versus taking our share of the payout in a 42K seat stadium for a game played at 8p on a Monday night while forcing the few season ticket supporters we have left into öööötier seats than they have at BDS.

We all understand the difference between this game and the UNC game (although it’s part of the same deal) - we’ve been discussing it off and on for months. What we’re getting out of this game is not what we were sold, like many of the other recent football moves.

JRjr
So you think being a 12 pm game on the ACCN on the first Saturday of the season is a better option than the only game on TV to close out week 1? See the reference above for the average ($5.2 million per team) payout based on a 67,000 attendance figure. While I don’t think it will be $5.2 million, I’m sure GT is making a nice figure for this game.

So you think being a 12 pm game on the ACCN on the first Saturday of the season is a better option than the only game on TV to close out week 1? See the reference above for the average ($5.2 million per team) payout based on a 67,000 attendance figure. While I don’t think it will be $5.2 million, I’m sure GT is making a nice figure for this game.

You think the #4 team in the country is going to play at noon on the ACCN? (But to be fair, IDGAF about TV exposure. I’ll be at the game, so that’s what I care about. And if we show up looking like we have the last few years, less exposure is a blessing, not a curse…)

If we only sold 42,500 tickets (the reported stadium capacity for this game) at BDS at a conservative $60 per ticket, the gate revenue alone is $2.5M. Of course, we have extra expenses when we host a home game, too.

There are some benefits, however marginal, to playing in this game, and there are some negatives to it, too, especially from the perspective of a fan going to the game (hassle, expensive parking, worse seats, one fewer opportunity to see a game on campus). If we hadn’t given up a marquee home game for it, I’d be less annoyed about it.

JRjr

A far as I know we are the only school to give up a home game to participate. If so, we should have been given more and better tickets than Clemson.
This was part of the deal when they announced that we would be playing one game every year in MBS. This is the same deal we had when we played Tennessee in the opening game except that the deal had not been made at that point so I don't think we gave up a home game. Those ticket locations sucked, too.

This was part of the deal when they announced that we would be playing one game every year in MBS. This is the same deal we had when we played Tennessee in the opening game except that the deal had not been made at that point so I don't think we gave up a home game. Those ticket locations sucked, too.

You obviously still don’t understand the situation. The deal with MBS was primarily that we would move a home game to MBS but that it would still be a Tech home game - we sell all the tickets, etc. That’s how the UNC game was last year. The Clemson game is a completely different situation - it’s no longer a home game, it’s a neutral site game, with ticket allocations, A/V production, etc. adjusted accordingly. It’s like the 2017 UT game, although that was not part of the current deal.

Moving home games to MBS makes some sense. Trading a home game for a neutral site game makes less sense.

JRjr

Back