Reggie Ball AJC article

I would pay to see a Reggie vs. Tevin scrimmage. Reggie gets 1st team O since he's older and because he never got to play for a good OC. Tevin gets 1st team D so he can finally know what it feels like to be on a team with the better D. Tevin also gets Calvin Johnson

I always wondered if Calvin had any influence on Reggie getting the invite to Lions camp(s)?

We would have been with Reggie if we had an O Coordinator who played to the strengths of his players. Reggie fell between two offenses in which he would have excelled - Fridge and Johnson. He was the right guy at the wrong time.

Exactly, and if we had Joe or Godsey during the Gailey years there's no doubt we would have played for a NC.

Exactly, and if we had Joe or Godsey during the Gailey years there's no doubt we would have played for a NC.
The hell are you saying? Not sure I get your point. Joe Ham and Godsey had an infinitely better coaching staff than Ball had. Infinity better. That is almost forever because infinity. Not SC430 coaching, Infinity coaching.

I was a supporter of Chan while he was here, but he was a weak x's and o's coach. When I can sit in the stands and predict the play call, like I was fully capable of doing when Chan was a coach, you've got a problem. Chan's staff was unable to grab a win from UGAg because they would crack under pressure. We had some horrible play calling throughout the game. Ball would have been a much better QB under a coach with the gameday skills like Johnson.

Great article.

Poetic justice that Pat Nix is barely holding on coaching a high school team somewhere.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

I do think PJ could've made Reggie a 10 win quarterback and a win over Georgia
No öööö. PJ Daniels/Cox at B-back. Our talent in 2006 was damn national championship caliber and we blew it. Other than Clemson, we were close in every single game. The Clemson game was a typical Gailey "WTH" game. Hell, we even had a world champion professional wrestler on the team. öööö, now I am tearing up and wanna cry.

No öööö. PJ Daniels/Cox at B-back. Our talent in 2006 was damn national championship caliber and we blew it. Other than Clemson, we were close in every single game. The Clemson game was a typical Gailey "WTH" game. Hell, we even had a world champion professional wrestler on the team. öööö, now I am tearing up and wanna cry.
Don't forget that defense. Guyton, Wheeler, MJ, etc.

We were stacked

We were stacked
It makes me sick to think about it. Wrotto and Vance Walker were in there too. I hope we have a defense this year that dominates.

Well, let's not get too carried away. There are other games like Maryland and State which could have gone the other way, too.

Reggie would have had a very different legacy if the UGA and Wake games had ended differently. I think it came down to coaching, anytime you have a four-year starter regress, it is usually on the coaches.

The Wake game was one of the very few times in life where I wish I had been blacked-out drunk.

Well, let's not get too carried away. There are other games like Maryland and State which could have gone the other way, too.

Reggie would have had a very different legacy if the UGA and Wake games had ended differently. I think it came down to coaching, anytime you have a four-year starter regress, it is usually on the coaches.

The Wake game was one of the very few times in life where I wish I had been blacked-out drunk.
Sad thing is Chan lost to Wake 2x. The game at BDS in 2002 where Wake ran 90+ plays to our 40-50 was excruciating

We were stacked

What more evidence could one need that Gailey was not a good coach. Even Hewitt did better with that much talent. Gailey deserves credit for recruiting them, I guess. (But were they just the crop Tech would've gotten no matter the coach?)

What more evidence could one need that Gailey was not a good coach. Even Hewitt did better with that much talent. Gailey deserves credit for recruiting them, I guess. (But were they just the crop Tech would've gotten no matter the coach?)
Gailey definitely recruited well and it was probable due to (1) Giff Smith and (2) his NFL pedigree. His picks for offensive assistants and QB development was abysmal. I do think he should be credited for the recruits.

Ball get way more hate than he deserves. Yeah he said something stupid about the UGA game, so what.

Tech should invite him back on field during a game. I'd wager he'd be very well received.

They need to wait a few more years. Fans in BDS aren't particularly forgiving, and there were a lot of instances still burned into their brain, not just that one.

One day we will probably be ready for the Reggie Ball on-field reunion. Might take another five or ten years though.

Reggie was like Tevin in worse circumstances

Tevin's biggest advantage was his football IQ. That was probably Reggie's biggest weakness.

He had a lot of heart, and I don't want to dirt on the guy, but Reggie/Tevin is Night/Day.

Tevin's biggest advantage was his football IQ. That was probably Reggie's biggest weakness.

He had a lot of heart, and I don't want to dirt on the guy, but Reggie/Tevin is Night/Day.
Yeah, no doubt. I remember going to spring practices when they were open and Tevin was a freshman. I have never seen a D1 QB throw so many wounded ducks with absolutely zero pressure. It's really a miracle that the coaching staff was able to get out of Tevin what they did. He was wonderful running the offense and making the right reads, because that's the only area where he could excel. He wasn't fast (just slightly shifty and knew where to run), had a very weak arm, and usually folded under pressure at the end of games. I have mad respect for him though because it was night and day difference between his freshmen and senior year. He worked his ass off on what his strengths were.

I don't recall Tevin folding under pressure. Tevin was asked to do a LOT by our end of game defensive collapses.

Examples of folding under pressure:
decking a UGA assistant coach
scrambling out the back of the end zone for a safety
throwing the ball away on 4th down
etc, there's more

Tevin didn't have the strongest arm, and he threw some INTs and such in 4th quarter situations when he was trying to force the ball in because he literally had no other choice but to try it. But many of those situations were situations he never should have been in in the first place.

I don't question Reggie's heart. I hope he'll be welcomed as a Tech man by a lot of the fans who saw him play. But this nonsense equating him with Tevin is just that. Revisionist nonsense. Let's just throw all pro Calvin Johnson out of the equation for a second. If Tevin had the defense Reggie had, then we would have probably won 3 ACC championships. The name "Tevin Washington" should not even appear in a Reggie Ball thread.

Last edited:
Back