Reggie Ball AJC article

Reggie probably doesn't deserve EVERYTHING he gets, but he deserves some of it. He also certainly doesn't deserve any special "recognition" because he didn't actually do anything special. He won some games, he lost some games. I guess he won the coastal once... that's his biggest achievement at GT. He doesn't deserve any special recognition anymore than any other player in GT history.

Reggie probably doesn't deserve EVERYTHING he gets, but he deserves some of it. He also certainly doesn't deserve any special "recognition" because he didn't actually do anything special. He won some games, he lost some games. I guess he won the coastal once... that's his biggest achievement at GT. He doesn't deserve any special recognition anymore than any other player in GT history.
He beat #3 Miami and top five Auburn 2X. Name another GT QB who has won 3 games against top 5 teams.

He beat #3 Miami and top five Auburn 2X. Name another GT QB who has won 3 games against top 5 teams.
your memory sucks. auburn was #17 in 2003 and #16 in 2005.

and even if they had been top 5, winning a few individual games means very little over the course of a 4 year career.

I did say "we". I blame myself as much as anyone for not saying "GET DOWN!!!"

We also had a potential nightmare scenario when the refs wound the clock with less than a minute in the half against UNC when Demaryius Thomas stepped out to stop the clock. We won anyway, but CPJ was boiling over after the refs.

Uhh, I think he's talking about the Joe Burns run vs Maryland.

your memory sucks. auburn was #17 in 2003 and #16 in 2005.

and even if they had been top 5, winning a few individual games means very little over the course of a 4 year career.
I was wrong about Auburn. I'm sure you fumed as we won in 2003

I have Shawn Jones and Reggie Ball as the only two players to QB us to a victory over a top 5 team over the past 30 years. I know, that win over Miami wasn't a big deal to you either.

As for not beating UGAg, they were a much stronger team then than now.

The only mistake I can remember being totally on Reggie is when he didn't kick Nix's ass for calling the time out with a minute left on NC State's one yard line on first down with PJ Daniels as our running back. Nix called time out. We passed on first down. Threw a pick. NC State won. Maddest I have ever been leaving a GT game, although the UGA Bobo asshole yellow flag game I was pretty mad too.

The 2nd half of that NC State game was one of Reggie's finest moments in my opinion, and I don't think he did anything wrong. All Nix. He really balled that game.

But to bring it back around to my point, everyone stop and think what the fans were yelling as they walked out of BDS that night. They were yelling at Reggie for throwing a pick, and yelling at Chan for not running the ball, even though we were forced to pass by the timeout. That's the character of some of the more vocal fans at BDS. That's why I think they're probably not ready yet for a Reggie reunion.

Uhh, I think he's talking about the Joe Burns run vs Maryland.

Can you elaborate on this? I was a young whippersnapper back then, not even sure I was in Georgia yet when this happened.

Ugh. Even thinking about that NCSU game now makes me mad.

Isn't Nix an assistant high school coach now or some öööö. He's probably failing at that too.

I was wrong about Auburn. I'm sure you fumed as we won in 2003

I have Shawn Jones and Reggie Ball as the only two players to QB us to a victory over a top 5 team over the past 30 years. I know, that win over Miami wasn't a big deal to you either.

As for not beating UGAg, they were a much stronger team then than now.
VT was #4 in 2009. Clemson was #5 in 2013. Clemson was also #5 in 2000. So add Godsey, Nesbitt, and Tevin to your list.

Last edited:
#3 all time in passing yards
#2 in passing TDs
#2 total offensive yards
#3 total TDs

I guess Nesbit or Thomas were nothing special either.
Yes, he should be recognized for being a 4 year starter.

I won't bother listing all of the games and awards that Nesbitt and Thomas won.

Can you elaborate on this? I was a young whippersnapper back then, not even sure I was in Georgia yet when this happened.

It was ööööing retarded. We needed to run clock and Joe Burns runs straight out of bounds. I would be surprised if the collective "öööö" muttered by everyone was not picked up on tv.

Maryland gets ball back and wins.

One of the dumbest plays I've ever seen in person, and I was witness to some really dumb ones (uva hook and ladder, 4th down throw away, kneeling kickoff for a safety are some of the ones I've been present for)

What I cannot recall was whether this was the same year that the Maryland band got jumped by 3 fraternities on Fowler after the game.

It was ööööing retarded. We needed to run clock and Joe Burns runs straight out of bounds. I would be surprised if the collective "öööö" muttered by everyone was not picked up on tv.

One of the dumbest plays I've ever seen in person, and I was witness to some really dumb ones (uva hook and ladder, 4th down throw away, kneeling kickoff for a safety are some of the ones I've been present for)

What I cannot recall was whether this was the same year that the Maryland band got jumped by 3 fraternities on Fowler after the game.

Wow that is retarded. When was this, 2001? I remember that we collapsed against the turtles that year, but don't know any of the details.

It was also Fridge's third game as Maryland HC and his first against GT after leaving the OC position for MD.

The 2nd half of that NC State game was one of Reggie's finest moments in my opinion, and I don't think he did anything wrong. All Nix. He really balled that game.

But to bring it back around to my point, everyone stop and think what the fans were yelling as they walked out of BDS that night. They were yelling at Reggie for throwing a pick, and yelling at Chan for not running the ball, even though we were forced to pass by the timeout. That's the character of some of the more vocal fans at BDS. That's why I think they're probably not ready yet for a Reggie reunion.
I was mad at Nix/Gailey. NC State's defense was gassed. Their DL was dead. Reggie was trying to get us to the line to end it when the timeout was called. My seats were row 6 in the lower east right at the goal line. When the time out was called, I went ballistic. I turned to my buddy and said "Dammit, we are gonna pass it to Calvin" It was so damn obvious. PJ would have walked into the endzone without that time out.

It was a nightmare. That was my second Tech game and first one of consequence. I bought all the hype that year, I believed we were good enough. Having already dropped the Clemson game, that Maryland finish was the most painful, baffling method of flushing it all away.

Good. Because they don't rank above Ball in any of those categories.
I'd say, if I had to rank, Thomas first

Nesbitt and Ball about equal. Would have loved to see Ball run our option offense.

Ugh. Even thinking about that NCSU game now makes me mad.

Isn't Nix an assistant high school coach now or some öööö. He's probably failing at that too.

If you're really interested, Nix was head coach at Scottsboro High School in Alabama for a number of years and was hired this year to be head coach at Pinson Valley High, which is north of Trussville in the Birmingham suburbs.

Back